Blood test

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Blood test

Postby Storm » Thu May 15, 2014 11:15 am

So I changed GP'S after being informally diagnosed with FM and wasn't offered any help or medication, so the new GP got me to have a blood test.
Did any of you have a blood test before being referred to rheumatology at hospital? I don't know which results would trigger a referral. Apparently there was nothing worrying with the results, so I went ahead and.booked a GP appointment to discuss.

Has anybody been in a similar situation and had a blood test? I'm.not sure what it was or what the.results mean in terms of Fibromyalgia.

I think the blood test was ANA or something and Rheumatology or so it said on the form.
Storm
UKFM Member

Re: Blood test

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:25 am

I didnt have a blood test to diagnose fibro. My rheumatologist (who I was seeing for arthritis) diagnosed me on the basis of my ongoing symptoms and testing my trigger points on my body. The one thing he did test for was Vitamin D as a lot of fibros are low in it. But the result didnt depend on the diagnosis or vice versa. Hope you get referred quickly xxx
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby hazely » Thu May 15, 2014 11:48 am

Hi I had blood test by GP and they didn't show anything up as unusual. I then got referred to orthopedic who said it could be raynauds disease and gave me a steroid injection which gave me extreme pain for a week and then did help with the pain. He then said it was fm and referred my back to gp for her to refer me to rhemi.

Rheumi did blood test which didn't show anything unusual. He wasn't very nice at all even before i had uttered a word he said i don't like labelling people and you are not typical suffer and then reeled off a load of reasons why and then discharged me. My gp confirmed diagnosis for me. I had blood test again yesterday to see if i have any infections etc as i have labyrinthitis according to gp, but i'm not convinced as not been ill just room spinning.
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby juliem » Thu May 15, 2014 12:07 pm

they will do a blood test not to confirm Fibro but to exclude other problems first. I've also been tested for Lupus and Coeliac too. But I would expect anyone in the process of being diagnosed to have exclusion tests first. As said low Vit D is another looked for.
juliem
UKFM Member

Postby animegirl808 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi I had a load of blood tests done a few weeks ago! As other post said it's to rule out anything else!
The GP thinks I have fibro. I forgot to tell him that my aunty has ME. She is a blood relative, but I don't know if that makes any difference
animegirl808
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:32 pm

hazely wrote:Hi I had blood test by GP and they didn't show anything up as unusual. I then got referred to orthopedic who said it could be raynauds disease and gave me a steroid injection which gave me extreme pain for a week and then did help with the pain. He then said it was fm and referred my back to gp for her to refer me to rhemi.

Rheumi did blood test which didn't show anything unusual. He wasn't very nice at all even before i had uttered a word he said i don't like labelling people and you are not typical suffer and then reeled off a load of reasons why and then discharged me. My gp confirmed diagnosis for me. I had blood test again yesterday to see if i have any infections etc as i have labyrinthitis according to gp, but i'm not convinced as not been ill just room spinning.

The room was spinning for me when I had labrynthitis. That is the symptom. I also had an upper respiratory infection but had no symptoms. It was only discovered when I was checked for my constant dizziness x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby hoysey » Thu May 15, 2014 12:47 pm

I never had blood tests from my Doctor, but the day I was at the rheumatology department at the hospital, when it was confirmed I had Fibro, they took bloods to rule out any other problems, the only one they could find was my Vitamin D was very low, so my Doctor started me on a strong course of vitamins.
hoysey
UKFM Member

Postby carishasafia » Thu May 15, 2014 1:16 pm

I've lost count of the blood tests I have had...it took 7 mth and many hospital appoi tents to diagnosed with ME and Fibro... :( ---
carishasafia
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Thu May 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Rheumatoid arthritis and lupus and infections would show up in a blood test, that's why they do it. As for test for Vitamin D get your Dr to repeat the test in Aug when you have had the summer to soak up the Vitamin from the sun.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby fatalrazkaz » Thu May 15, 2014 1:48 pm

I had blood tests at the appointment with the Rheumatologist. She confirmed I had Fibro (only took 20 years) and Osteo Arthritis and the blood tests showed low vitamin D and inflammation
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby animegirl808 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:13 pm

You can have fibro and ME????
animegirl808
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindilou » Thu May 15, 2014 5:24 pm

animegirl808 wrote:You can have fibro and ME????

You certainly can.

In the last 3/4 months I must have had at least 10 blood tests, for the doc and the endro, thyroid, LFT etc etc etc. Tomorrow I'm having loads more to discover whether I have Rheumatism or fibro (officially) My veins are going into retreat, why don't they just stick an IV into me , save a load of time and stress. :roll:
Last edited by Lindilou on Thu May 15, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindilou

Postby animegirl808 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:03 pm

Endo.... As in endometriosis? I have that too :(
animegirl808
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindilou » Thu May 15, 2014 7:34 pm

animegirl808 wrote:Endo.... As in endometriosis? I have that too :(

Endrocronologist as in thyroid problems
Lindilou