Two Interesting new Symptoms

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Two Interesting new Symptoms

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:09 am

So today, I was a little surprised when I found that I needed my daughter to practically carry me, as I could do little more than shuffle my feet! Then because I stupidly put in an 9 hour day, I lay down for a nap, only to stop breathing. Not in a sleep apnea way, I was conscious enough to know that my dogs were curled up against me, but when I tried to breath I couldn't. It was like I was in sleep paralysis, but awake! I tried to breath in through my nose only to find I didn't know how, my nose is not blocked....but when I started to panic and try breathing through my mouth, I couldn't open it. I was not in control of my body. It took a good 30 seconds to snap out of it and take a deep breath, eventually though my mouth. This occurred on 3 occasions, so yeah, a little freaked out.

:yikes:
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Two Interesting new Symptoms

Postby angelwings1 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:26 am

I get this and its called sleep paralysis, your brain wakes up before your body...Its very frightening but harmless, hope ive put your mind at rest
angelwings1
UKFM Member

Postby reegogo » Fri May 16, 2014 7:46 am

You're not alone,i also get this and was referred to a sleep clinic and was told it's sleep paralysis but have also had tests to see if sleep aponea or narcolepsy as well waiting for results ,very scary know exactly how you feel.
reegogo
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:09 am

I wouldn't say its a symptom. Its sleep paralysis. My husband gets this as well as night terrors. Sometimes he can only mumble for me to help him ie wake him up properly. I've only ever had a very dead arm mid sleep. I just fling it over when I turn over and go back to sleep! Lol
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 16, 2014 11:40 am

Something new it always best being checked out as, whilst it could be FM~related, it could also be due to something completely unrelated. How soon this might happen is down to the individual, but if it is something that starts increasing in frequency, then sooner rather than later for checking out would be the more prudent option.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby hippychick » Thu May 22, 2014 8:43 am

I have something similar but not with my breathing thank heavens. It's my inability to swallow that scares the bee jayzus out of me :yikes: Worse when it happens in bed and wakes me up when I have to take a tiny sip of water just to kick start the swallow reflex but can happen during my waking hours, (or should that be minutes :crazy: ), too when it's also still quite scary.

Terrified at the thought of also ever having the breathing or lack of breathing business any time soon!!!!! Hoping that's ONE fibro delight I can escape forever pleeeeeease :nono

Gentle huggles,
Hippy
hippychick
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi there

Oh my GOD!!! so you have this as well:))) it is not a new symptom, but it is related to Fibro as my neurologist told me
about this when I went to see him in Oct 2012... he said a lot of people have these sorts of symptoms due their brains
not working properly!! I said to him, I know my brain isn't working properly:)) and he said well yes it is, but sometimes
the neurotransmitters don't send the correct signal at the right time when naturally needed....So yes, I know *exactly* what
you are going through.... rest assure you are not alone, so don't be too worried about it, even though when you get it, it
does freak you out and make you panic:)) I know, as I have had all that.. I often use to say to my GP that it seems that
this fibro lark is a shock a minute with an ever changing, and never ending list of new symptoms... I am sure the medical
profession think we are all totally mad:)) :yikes:
Tel1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia