Over dose on Quitiepine...by GP...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Over dose on Quitiepine...by GP...

Postby Queenie_70 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:22 pm

So a few weeks ago my doctor overdosed me on the above medication....now, I stutter, cannot walk and am looking at permanent brain damage...please double check all medications yourself before taking any!!!
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Over dose on Quitiepine...by GP...

Postby lala » Wed May 21, 2014 11:45 pm

Oh no. How much did they put you on?
lala
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:28 am

I am sorry youre suffering. Malpractice comes to mind! I have no choice but to trust doctors although pharmacists do normally check the prescription before giving me the meds. I wouldn't know if I am being over dosed or not. All I know right now is, I am on low doses x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu May 22, 2014 8:57 am

It is actually QUETIAPINE which is given for psychosis, such as Bi-polar and Schizophrenia. It doesn't seem to be licensed in the UK.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby mikeyboy2014 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:42 am

I take Quetiapine for Bi-Polar disorder at a dose of 400mg per night and have been for the past 5 years along with Duloxetine and Tamazepam, surprised to hear that it doesn't seem to be licensed in the Uk - I did try to take it during the daytime but it totally zombified me during the day not a good feeling at all
mikeyboy2014
UKFM Member

Postby trigger » Thu May 22, 2014 10:11 am

Hi guys Quitiepine is also know as Seriquil i was on it for years but manged to ween of it i have a mood swing disorder. but know i have found out i have fibro i can not have it as i am on Nortripyline so i am having to mange my mood swings as best i can but doc's have said if it gets to much for me they will look at changeing my meds But you don't know is when you take you prescription in for collection it will flag up red if the meds inter act so ask your chemist if there is any worries with your meds x
trigger
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 22, 2014 11:08 am

Sorry to hear what has happened to you Queenie :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Hopefully you will find that the problems you are experiencing will start to settle down to a somewhat less troublesome state for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I know this won't be any help to you Queenie, but for any/everyone else, please bear in mind that with the number of prescriptions issued each day, the vast majority of them do have the right dosages stated on them compared to the number which are incorrect. There can be many reasons why an incorrect amount has been stated, from misreading info, to being distracting, thru to experiencing a twitch or jerk. Plus, before signing the 'script and giving it to the patient, you would expect the GP to double check details to make sure they are correct. Sometimes tho, this doesn't happen, so regardless of the type of med being prescribed, if there are any concerns about any aspect, then do ask about it.

I'm aware that during the 10 min appt slot, it's not always possible to clarify things with your GP, even tho the answer may only require a quick look thru "The Mega Encyclopaedia Of Pills And Potions For Pawleynesses". If this is the case, then you can always ask a pharmacist, esp if the next port of call on your journey is to have your prescription filled. They may well check their "Mega Encyclopaedia Of Pills And Potions For Pawleynesses" or even ring the surgery to clarify things for you. During busy times, it could entail someone taking a note about your query, then looking into it when things have quietened down and letting you know. Probably all sounds a little roses around the cottage door~esque to some, but a half~decent pharmacy will do things to help patients/customers.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Thu May 22, 2014 12:57 pm

Theresa34 wrote:I am sorry youre suffering. Malpractice comes to mind! I have no choice but to trust doctors although pharmacists do normally check the prescription before giving me the meds. I wouldn't know if I am being over dosed or not. All I know right now is, I am on low doses x

I have to agree with malpractice you can complain via the general medical council.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 pm

I knew I spelt it wrong..lol They took it off me at the hospital so that I didn't take anymore by accident. As it turns out the drug interaction with my Tramadol is one of the most severe, and the fact that I have been on Tramadol for over a year now, one would think that the doctor would check my previous prescriptions before putting me on anything new.

I am now on crutches as my mobility has deteriorated to the point I am forced to live downstairs!!

Have talked to lawyer, but it is going to be a long path!!!
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:08 am

Okay, the dosage given, since very one seems to think I am over reacting, was only 100mg, but with the Tramadol for pain, which is why I posted it, caused a serious reaction that is listed in all the literature I have researched. I am not a doctor, I am a patient, I trust that my doctor is going to understand contradiction in medications, and I took them, one dose, as prescribed because I do put my trust in my GP. My post was a warning that mistakes can be made, that pharmacists and doctors make mistakes. I am not looking for financial gain, but the recognition that a mistake was made. In the hospital, and I can show the discharge papers if so needed, Dr Jelly, my consultant, said I shouldn't have had more than 25mg. I have seen many posts that state they are on much higher doses than I was given....I am not disputing that it maybe a good drug, but it obviously is an issue with everything else that I am on. Please do not take this as a rant, just got upset that I was being told I was talking BS, when I'm not. As for the inability to walk, the tremors, facial ticks and list of other issues I have had, none, were apparent until this occurred.

Claire Kendell seems to think that I am making this up for some reason...."I am not a doctor but my personal and profession opinion is that the OP is talking bovine faeces." It just bothers me that I join for support and get shouted down when I issue a warning about drug interactions. One dose, that is all it took, "they" were the paramedics who came to my house and took me to the hospital because I was non responsive.

If abuse is the nae of the game, I will no longer share my thoughts, feelings, or experiences.
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat May 24, 2014 10:36 am

Queenie, from the posts on the forum, no~one has made any sort of.suggestion that you are over~reacting. With you mentioning the name of someone, are you referring to comments that have been made on FaceBook??

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:42 am

FluppyPuffy,

Yes, the name mentioned is a woman who states that she is a mental health professional, and was a post on face book. I haven't stopped crying since I read it!
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat May 24, 2014 1:12 pm

I've sent you a personal message about this Queenie :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia