Explaining fibro to older children

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Explaining fibro to older children

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:58 am

Hi all x

I have three children aged 6,10 & 12. My twelve yr old is a very anxious child. She worries about everybody. Shes aware of my fibro which I was diagnosed with in Feb this year and arthritis last year which is in remission. I've tried to talk to her about fibro to calm her fears but O want to show her so etching to help a child of her age to understand. She is a very intelligent child but I still want simple explanations as. I tend to over do it when explaining stuff, I tend to explain maybe too much or too much detail which could confuse her. I plan to print off the spoon theory to see how that goes. Is there anything else that would help her?

As for the two younger ones (boys) I dont think theyre too bothered about the illness. They've seen me in pain etc but dont seem bothered. She is.

Thanks xxx
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: Explaining fibro to older children

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 22, 2014 11:39 am

Tot's Tale about the Clever Colour System might be worth a looky Theresa. As well as being helpful for your daughter, it could also be of use for your other kiddiwinks as they become older.

It came out too late for me to try it on my offspring, what with him being a :yikes: :yikes: :alien: :alien: Teenagent. Had he been younger {or the book was available when he was younger} I'd definitely have given it a go as explaining things at the right level for each child can be :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby migrembe » Thu May 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Maybe you need to ask your children one at a time what is bothering them and then answer their questions.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu May 22, 2014 1:02 pm

Maybe make an appointment with your daughters GP or school nurse as im sure they wont mind talking to her about this especially if its causing anxiety.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi Lisa,

She naturally seems to suffer anxiety. If there is a strong wind at night she worries there is a tornado. Shes had counselling but it's not helped. Thanks though x

Fluppy, I will have a look at your link ta x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Sat May 31, 2014 12:15 pm

My little one who was 5 or 6 at the time was very much like your daughter, very sensitive and often very anxious, I took him to one of my physio appointments, the physio is lovely and she helped him understand quite simply, she told him in your brain you have pain receptors, these get information about what's going on in your body by taking to the nerves, now your pain receptors and mine are like this (she held her hand out and touched her fore finger and thumb together) your mind is like this (she held her hand out with her fore finger and thumb as far apart as they could be) this means that when the nerves go to tell the brain something hurts a little bit the brain hears that really really hurts. Always getting the wrong message means mum is often very tired, in pain, grumpy, but she is ok. This possibly wrong help for your daughter but may for people with younger ones.... :)
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia