Walking aids

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Walking aids

Postby lisa m 1973 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:49 pm

I've been using a quad stick to help my mobility for about 5 years now. At first this was hard for me but I've gotten used to it.

However now with the addition of fibro to my already complex health I am struggling to get about just using the stick so I have now ordered myself one of those four wheeled rollaters with a seat.

Trouble is I'm only 40 and I feel self conscious at the thought of going out with this. I already feel like an old woman beyond my years. I know in the long run it's for the best and will help me stay mobile a while longer but I'm beginning to feel old before my time and I'm struggling to get my head round that x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lisa m 1973
UKFM Member

Re: Walking aids

Postby marie marrison » Mon May 26, 2014 3:30 pm

I wouldn`t worry lisa, I am walking with a cane for the last 3 years, and my best friend who is also forty as to used a mobility scooter, and wheelchair , so u are not on your own, the main thing is that u can going out for a bit xx :-)
marie marrison
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Mon May 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Lisa do not worry about it, i have progressed from a walking stick referred to in house physio at GP's who got me a 2nd which was a struggle so with a matter of 10 days was using a three wheeled rollater, mine has a bag attached which is useful when shopping.

You have to do what makes life more comfortable for you.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby lisa m 1973 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm doing everything I can to avoid using a wheelchair as my hubby is of the impression that once you go down that route you lose all use of your legs and that scares me x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lisa m 1973
UKFM Member

Postby Sallyann » Mon May 26, 2014 6:06 pm

I have been waking with a stick for a long time now and, on occasion have also needed to use a wheelchair. They way I see it is that if other people have a problem with it then shame on them. We didn't ask for Fibro - we don't want Fibro - but it is what it is. If using a stick, wheelchair, whatever, means that I can get out and about then so be it.
Life is tough enough as it is so enjoy what you can while you can :-D
Sallyann
UKFM Newbie

Postby babsie » Mon May 26, 2014 10:04 pm

I know how you must feel. Like you I need a walking aid, I'm trying as hard as I can not to use one. It's only my pride that stops me. For long distances I would need a wheelchair but the same pride. My knees ache constantly as does my back, honestly the thought of being like this long term fills me with dread. I also have ME along with Fibro. I've tried everything to no avail. I trying to stay positive but it's becoming hard after 12 fear of ME. Good on you doing what you know is right.. Barbara
babsie
UKFM Newbie

Postby Librarychick » Tue May 27, 2014 7:20 am

I know exactly how you feel love. I'm 51 now so 10 years older but I had to start using a walking frame about 2 months ago. Although I felt very self conscious at first, especially with my neighbours I was convinced everyone was looking at me, but it's given me a new lease of life! :-D . Bessie, as I call it, has helped me on so many occasions when I felt that there was no way I could keep going. Also, I find that when I am trying to cross the road drivers are so much more considerate.

This weekend I have just bought an indoor equivalent with trays so I can carry things around safely and by, it's helped me walk around the house so much better too. It looks quite clinical so I think I may have to attack it with some paint!

Keep proud, don't be tempted to hide yourself by looking at the floor, and remember we are all supporting you in our hearts.
:-D
Librarychick
UKFM Member

Postby Vickielstorey » Tue May 27, 2014 5:54 pm

My doctor told me I could get a walking aid threw him. He put something on his computer and said he has ordered me a walking stick. That was over a month ago. Do you no how long it takes anyone. Xx hope everyone having low pain day xx
Vickielstorey
UKFM Newbie

Postby clairefish » Tue May 27, 2014 10:47 pm

I felt compelled to reply to your post, I am 53 and have had me and fibromyalgia for a lot of years but was diagnosed two years ago, I am getting slower and slower every day and was very vane about using an aid, but I have found the perfect solution to my problem I have bought a stick with a seat because I can't stand for more than a couple of minutes and its opened up a new world, I was sooooo self conscious at first but being able to queue and actually get to the till to pay for what I want instead of leaving without anything is a great feeling, I just put the seat up and sit in the queue, and the more times I do it the less I care what people think, give it a try and once you get a bit more indepence I hope you will be happier, gentle hugs and peace, Claire xx
clairefish
UKFM Newbie

Postby JanetLeslie » Wed May 28, 2014 7:39 pm

I can relate to how you're feeling about this. I'm 55 and have had a stick for about 8 years had a three wheel trolley for a couple of years then upgraded to a four wheeler about 6 months ago. To get round my embarrassment I customised mine by adding danglies, a horn and some lights and now I don't feel quite so bad. Good luck with yours. :goodluck2:
JanetLeslie
UKFM Newbie

Postby Nellyphant » Wed May 28, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm 43 and I've been using a walking pole for over 3 years now. Some days I need both. I also have a mobility scooter which has been a fabulous investment. I use it for days out, Christmas Carols in the village as I can't stand for more than a few seconds without awful pain. I'm off to the physio soon as I think I need more than the poles but I get so much pain in my upper body that I don't think I'll be able to cope with crutches.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby divingforPearls » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Aaaaaaaarggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I really don't want to go down that route, but now I can't really leave the house unless I can drive there (except I can only manage about 3 miles and back) and park directly outside. People DO STARE and I don't think I could cope with that, as well as trying to just mentally keep the pain from taking me over.

Well done you all for getting these mobility aids. I really need to get my head around them, but at only 40, I think "if only I can make it another 10 years and then maybe I will get some mobility help". But I know that it would be nice to get about! I used to use a bike at festival sites, but uphill is getting too hard on my knees. Am I vain? Am I proud? But I just don't want people staring at me. I need to get over that I guess....I just end up sitting on the pavement to talk to people, or sitting down to queue, so I guess people stare at me then! :roll: :crazy:

What I would find the hardest is having to have my husband push me if I was in a wheelchair. It is a feeling like I would be losing a part of my life, and I would suffer too much grief over it. I am not ready to accept it, I keep fighting, fighting, fighting to hold on to my Self as I want to be.

Diamonds are made through this much pressure. Shine bright everyone! Meditate, eat well, get some sun, love your families, small achievable tasks! Love and strength to you all. It is both nice, but also very sad that there are others who know what I am going through.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Postby nicola75 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:05 am

I started using my crutches in January this year, I wasn't ready and i'm
Still trying to get my head round it. I'm 38 and a single mum, my mobility is
Slowly getting worse, i dread each day and dread to think of the day i might
Need a wheelchair.

I hope i'll get used to this soon and stop caring if people are staring or not!
I hope one day i can just be more positive about it all and have some sort of
Normality in my life again.
nicola75
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:04 pm

Like many here I have been loath to get a walking stick - especially as having used one in the past I am well aware of the problem that using one can just transfer pain from legs to arm. Last week while on holiday me and a friend who sufferers serious back problems (and fights to not use her wheelchair) came across the perfect answer. Just before going on holiday I had picked up an ordinary walking pole - because so many people have them they are not considered unusual in younger people. It did help but the pole grip was not perfect. We were exploring shops and came across some walking poles with proper walking stick handles and so pulled one out to have a try - and found it had a "shock absorbent" tip through a spring inside.

I cannot begin to tell you how brilliant that tip is - we both bought ourselves one (even though I had only recently bought myself the ordinary one) and they made such a difference to both of us. No arm pain, no jolts when using, and flexible for anything from just using to balance through to full weight.

There are similar ones on ebay like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walking-Stick ... 3aae1b587c . I really recommend them for anyone who is having problems but is reluctant to have a walking stick or who has had problems using an ordinary stick before. They are so comfortable to use and can make a real difference.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby macca » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:32 am

Hi, my wife has struggled with mobility problems for over half of her life. She's 45 now but a few years ago she spoke to her GP about a walking frame but he dismissed that telling her 'they were for old people'. How odd that he was more concerned at what it might look like than she was. She ended up obtaining a 3 wheeled walker through the local authority and that was a huge help. She's now on her third walker and that is a Triumph Uniscan ultra lightweight 3 wheeler with a seat. Yeah sure she gets odd looks from some people but so what, let them stare, if they have a problem with it then tough. Ironically she gets a lot of pensioners asking her where she bought her walker from given its suitability. She also uses two walking sticks at times when it's not practical to use the walker. Her biggest concern was what I would think about it but I have no problem with it. As far as I am concerned she needs them to enjoy any reasonable quality of life so they are essential.

If it helps try to get into the mindset that the only opinion that really matters is your own and it will be easier to get your head around.

Mac.
macca
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia