Is it all the same condition?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is it all the same condition?

Postby carolad » Wed May 28, 2014 10:25 pm

This may be a bit of a strange question but after reading about other people's experiences on here, I've started to wonder...do we all really have the same condition?

There seems to be a huge range in severity of symptoms, with some people very disabled, unable to walk unaided etc and yet others are able to live pretty much 'normal' lives. I wonder if there are actually a number of different conditions that affect us, but they are all lumped under the heading of 'fibromyalgia' because doctors don't really understand what is going on.

What do you think? :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Re: Is it all the same condition?

Postby mags3pets » Wed May 28, 2014 11:04 pm

I just think everyone is different. Plus some Doctors think FM is an autoimmune system and others sY it isn't. There are many symptoms that are the same for more than one illness. I have scleroderma and syndrome and some symptoms overlap. All the best. :-D
mags3pets
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 pm

Carolad you could well be right, i do not know anyone who can answer that question, i know i was sent to see a rhuematologist due to constant pains in hands and legs and feet, the guy was to say the least very good at his job, he was visibily upset when he told me i had Fibro, and was so apologetic,

As there was no known cure, the problems do differ however from person to person, I originaly used one stick to support me when walking this to two and with in a few weeks a wheeled walker.

I am very unstable on my feet due to the fibro, and have had to start using shows that close with velcro fastners instead of laces and slip on shoes. Is worrying how things are turning out.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 am

I believe it is the same condition but different people handle it in different ways. For someone who has low self esteem, depression, perhaps its a lot harder for them to get motivated. Perhaps for someone living alone or with a partner who will do everything for them, they have no need to move or do things for themselves, so they give into this condition and feel worse. This might not make me too popular but I am trying to make a point. My hubby hasnt been the most understanding. He works long hours and we have three kids who stress us out. We have had to see a counsellor etc about our eldest who has had health issues. So a long few years of stresses. At the time I was diagnosed, when the pain was at its worst, I felt really depressed and didnt know how I could live this way. I had three kids to look after and a house. I had to walk the kids to and from school five days a week. I felt resentment that I didnt get more help so that I could lie in bed all day or on the sofa. I resented that I still had to cook and clean and iron etc. I struggled.

I am now a few months on from the horrendous pain and the diagnosis. I feel as bough I've been through the five stages of grief an Ive come out the other side. I had a sort of epiphany. I had two choices. I either give into the misery and the pain and suffer or I can adopt a positive attitude, take the two meds my rheumy gave me, and find a way to live again. I have found that the more I rest the worse I feel. So at first I had to force myself to move. Now it comes to me a lot easier. I have picked up the housework in order to move constantly. I am starting home Pilates in a weeks time to strengthen my muscles and help with the stiffness etc. I am so glad that I have had that push to continue as normally as possible. I still have pain episodes but I'm not on bags of painkillers anymore. Maybe one a day. I get back spasms, morning stiffness, pins and needles, stiffness when sitting to long etc. But one thing always comes to mind, I have fibro, fibro doesnt have ME! I wont give into this. I also have arthritis which was diagnosed last year but its in remission. I will carry on no matter what life throws at me.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Thu May 29, 2014 10:13 am

I don't know the answer to your question, but it's one I've asked myself before. I am 41, have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, lupus, Reynolds syndrome, restless leg, IBS, and COPD. I've met people that manage their illnesses extremely well, they work, go on holiday, jog etc, I've also met other people like me that are severely disabled, not through lack of motivation or positivity, they are physically unable. I have a very supportive partner, 3 children and ,4 step children, they all know to let me alone while I'm pushing myself beyond my limitations until I obviously need help... fallen on the floor, so exhausted and in pain I can't move (that's can't, not won't)

Please don't judge others by your experience, I'm truly very happy for you that you can maintain a level of normality in your life, please don't assume I gave up, I wouldn't dream of insinuating that your illness is less severe!
Last edited by zoomie on Thu May 29, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Thu May 29, 2014 10:15 am

Theresa, I also get debilitating migraines that last for days, generally about 3 x a month, I vommit until I pass out... I can be laid up in bed for days at a time, this doesn't make me lacking in motivation or lazy, it makes me ill!
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu May 29, 2014 10:21 am

With you all the way, Theresa :)
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu May 29, 2014 11:14 am

Theresa I am coming with you too :) (when i can remember how to spell your name) i think those who live alone or have a family to look after do better. I am not saying that those who are cared for by someone else are lying about how bad their symptoms are or how disabled they are with it all, but when the only option of getting food is go get it yourself, then you have to go get it yourself or do without.

Someone said they had been diagnosed with Lupus, well FMS has similar symptoms but Lupus damages your joints and your internal organs, whereas FMS is a malfunction of the brain rather than the body. I wrote about it here - http://mywonkydonkeylife.wordpress.com/ ... the-brain/

I think some symptoms are more medication related than FMS related too. However i take minimal amount of pills (co-codamol and ibuprofen and an anti depressant, but i have had depression for years anyhow). The side effects i were having from the pills were making me feels worse than the FM so i stopped them all bit at a time. More pills does not relate to better control of symptoms so why poison yourself as well?

Saying all that this week i feel as if i have been living in hell, mind and body doesn't want to shift itself, seem to have been asleep a lot more than usual. Pain and fatigue is higher and I've no idea why, could be heading for a migraine.

I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago after suffering all my life with random pains and aches, but then i fell down stairs and suffered a whip lash injury among other things. Even after the initial damage was healing the pain was becoming worse and when i went to see a Rheumy Dr she talked me for a while and then did the points test, which felt like she was sticking a knitting needle into me and then she said 'i know what you have' and gave me a leaflet. When i asked about going back to work, her reply was 'probably not and if you do it will be very part time.'

Whether we like it or not these statements stay with us and affect us in negative ways. Am i in pain? yes! Do i sleep? either not at all, or all the time, Am i tired ? yes all the damn time. Would i like someone to look after me? Yes please!

Until get moving, slowly slowly stopping just makes everything worse.

:dogrun1: :dogrun1:
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:25 pm

zoomie wrote:Theresa, I also get debilitating migraines that last for days, generally about 3 x a month, I vommit until I pass out... I can be laid up in bed for days at a time, this doesn't make me lacking in motivation or lazy, it makes me ill!

I think generally a positive attitude will help us all immensely. I used to get migraines every month since I was 19. Even threw up with them. Thankfully they are now rare. I can understand the pain that comes with that. And no it doesn't make you lazy. Never said that it did. I am talking about moving your body and doing things to help and strengthen it.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:26 pm

SchroedingersCat wrote:With you all the way, Theresa :)

Great :-D
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Migrembe I was taking painkillers like sweets at one point. I then realised that every week I seemed to be taking more and more until I was rattling. I also realised that my body must be getting used to the painkillers which meant that they weren't working like they should until I took more. I didn't want to be a painkiller junkie so I stopped taking so many. Some days I wont take any and some days maybe one or two. I take Amitriptyline for my sleep and a daily vit D as well as a small dose of thyroxine for my thyroid. The less meds, the better in my book.

I think the best way to get help, is to help yourself. I know getting motivated is hard, I've been there! You don't know how strong you are, until being strong is all you have left. I will not be beaten x
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Thu May 29, 2014 2:47 pm

theresa 32 wholhartedley agree ,,,
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:04 pm

tonydin wrote:theresa 32 wholhartedley agree ,,,
tony

:-D :-D :-D
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu May 29, 2014 11:15 pm

We have already locked one topic for it getting out of control, as has already been said we are all different and suffer differently too, stop making sweeping statements and take other peoples feelings into consideration please.

Its great that some of you feel so motivated and find you can manage with little or no medication BUT its also just as relevant that others cant manage without and are unable to 'push through the pain'

We are here to offer support to ALL sufferers however they deal with their condition (and please remember all the mods are sufferers too :!: :!: :!: ) and are pleased to hear that some find ways of coping but those ways are NOT for everyone please be nice :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby carolad » Thu May 29, 2014 11:51 pm

denys wrote:We have already locked one topic for it getting out of control, as has already been said we are all different and suffer differently too, stop making sweeping statements and take other peoples feelings into consideration please.

Its great that some of you feel so motivated and find you can manage with little or no medication BUT its also just as relevant that others cant manage without and are unable to 'push through the pain'

We are here to offer support to ALL sufferers however they deal with their condition (and please remember all the mods are sufferers too :!: :!: :!: ) and are pleased to hear that some find ways of coping but those ways are NOT for everyone please be nice :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Yes, I've been following that other post - I can see this is an emotive subject!

There does seem to be a huge variety in the severity of symptoms which is why I wonder if we all really have fibromyalgia, or if some people have actually been misdiagnosed. I've been told I have fibromyalgia...I have all the standard symptoms...pain, sleep problems, fatigue, IBS, Raynauds etc. But I am not incapacitated by the condition. I have had to cut my hours at work...but I can still work. I need more rest than 'normal' people but I can still get on with my life, with a few adjustments. So I think what I experience is nothing compared to some of you.

I hate the 'vagueness' of the condition and it makes me question my own diagnosis. Maybe I don't have fibromyalgia after all...maybe it is just related to gluten sensitivity...or Vitamin D deficiency...or some other hormone/diet deficiency or imbalance.

I don't know...and I suppose we will never know unless they ever develop a scientific test to prove/disprove diagnosis. And please don't think when I wonder if we all really have fibromyalgia that I mean some people are making it up :-| I know there is SOMETHING wrong with all of us on here...we wouldn't be on this forum if there wasn't! I'm just not sure that it is the same condition that is causing my muscle ache and someone else's extreme pain.

Though I suppose in some ways, it makes no difference what the diagnosis is...we all have symptoms which we have to manage as best we can, whatever name we give it :)

Hope I haven't offended anyone by this post :roll:
carolad
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia