Is it all the same condition?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Is it all the same condition?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 30, 2014 12:38 am

The vagueness is extremely frustrating, along with the unpredictability of the condition. And with there being such a wide divergence in the way we are affected, it's understandable to be wondering if we all have the same condition. If we were to each compile a simple list of symptoms, then to someone just reading thru things, it would seem that we all do have the same thing as there would be a fairly significant number of symptoms we have in common.

Were we to be lined up next to each other tho, and asked to perform a set series of moves/tasks, with how we would each present with our individual symptoms, there would be no sort of pattern that might reasonably be expected from a number of people with the same problem, which could very easily suggest/be interpreted as there being a number of conditions affecting us, rather than the same dx being shared.

Just as were are all individuals, so our take on FM is unique to each of us. It's one of those situations where there is no wrong or right answer, instead there is a multitude of answers, each of which is right for the person it relates to.

Well, that's my take on things, and the basis I try to use for each person when replying to their posts.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby carolad » Fri May 30, 2014 9:57 am

FluppyPuffy wrote:The vagueness is extremely frustrating, along with the unpredictability of the condition. And with there being such a wide divergence in the way we are affected, it's understandable to be wondering if we all have the same condition. If we were to each compile a simple list of symptoms, then to someone just reading thru things, it would seem that we all do have the same thing as there would be a fairly significant number of symptoms we have in common.

Were we to be lined up next to each other tho, and asked to perform a set series of moves/tasks, with how we would each present with our individual symptoms, there would be no sort of pattern that might reasonably be expected from a number of people with the same problem, which could very easily suggest/be interpreted as there being a number of conditions affecting us, rather than the same dx being shared.

That is EXACTLY it :) We all have pain....but that could be an ache that is unpleasant but doesn't stop you getting on with your life...or severe pain which makes you unable to walk. We all have fatigue...but that could mean having to pace yourself and having to go to bed at 8pm every night...or it may mean being unable to get out of bed at all. So although we may have the same symptoms on paper, in reality, we are all affected differently.

Not straightforward, is it? :crazy:
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:00 am

I think the testing is good for now. I don't think a lot of people without fibro will have the tender points. I thought that only fibro people have those? Also we are mostly low in vitamin D. And yes, also the insomnia! My fibro I have been told is secondary to arthritis which apparently, is then easier to diagnose than someone with fibro only. Words of my nurse I will add.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Fri May 30, 2014 10:02 am

Couldn't leave this post without my two pennies worth. Again it's great if you can push past your pain and get on with things, I wish OH how I wish I could do the same. I have had periods of felling well, and now my pain is stabilised meaning it gone from fluctuating from a 4 to 8. It's now 2 to 5 which is great.

But my fatigue is back with a vengeance and I can't get to the kitchen without two pit stops for rest. I sit on the chair whilst trying to cook because I can't stand up. There are days when I can't get out of bed so I purposely try to cut down on drinking fluids to prevent the exhaustion from getting to the loo. My body is loosing muscle toning and I can't sit for long as my coccyx bone kills me, I can't lay for long because my rib age hurts. So I have to move but my fatigue won't let me. If anyone wants to move and exercise its me trust me. But I can't right now and guess what. I have a positive attitude, I wish myself well all the time, I think happy thoughts. I do everything I can to heal myself. But my body won't work . Didn't mean to be a rant but it got my goat up.
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:02 am

carolad wrote:
FluppyPuffy wrote:The vagueness is extremely frustrating, along with the unpredictability of the condition. And with there being such a wide divergence in the way we are affected, it's understandable to be wondering if we all have the same condition. If we were to each compile a simple list of symptoms, then to someone just reading thru things, it would seem that we all do have the same thing as there would be a fairly significant number of symptoms we have in common.

That is EXACTLY it :) We all have pain....but that could be an ache that is unpleasant but doesn't stop you getting on with your life...or severe pain which makes you unable to walk. We all have fatigue...but that could mean having to pace yourself and having to go to bed at 8pm every night...or it may mean being unable to get out of bed at all. So although we may have the same symptoms on paper, in reality, we are all affected differently.

Not straightforward, is it? :crazy:

I was at the point where my life felt like it had ended. I struggled to move out of bed and get the kids ready for school. I limped along with a cane. Struggled wig the fatigue. I am still getting the various pains but the ami is helping me immensely.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri May 30, 2014 11:41 am

TATT wrote:Couldn't leave this post without my two pennies worth. Again it's great if you can push past your pain and get on with things, I wish OH how I wish I could do the same. I have had periods of felling well, and now my pain is stabilised meaning it gone from fluctuating from a 4 to 8. It's now 2 to 5 which is great.

But my fatigue is back with a vengeance and I can't get to the kitchen without two pit stops for rest. I sit on the chair whilst trying to cook because I can't stand up. There are days when I can't get out of bed so I purposely try to cut down on drinking fluids to prevent the exhaustion from getting to the loo. My body is loosing muscle toning and I can't sit for long as my coccyx bone kills me, I can't lay for long because my rib age hurts. So I have to move but my fatigue won't let me. If anyone wants to move and exercise its me trust me. But I can't right now and guess what. I have a positive attitude, I wish myself well all the time, I think happy thoughts. I do everything I can to heal myself. But my body won't work . Didn't mean to be a rant but it got my goat up.

I hope I haven't been misunderstood here - I am not saying that some people can 'push past' their pain to have a normal life while others just 'give in' to it. I just mean that it seems some people have much milder symptoms than others so that allows them to live fairly 'normal' lives. I have never experienced the kind of fatigue where I can't get out of bed - I know I am one of the lucky ones. But that has made me question whether I really have the same condition as someone who is bedbound or who has difficulty walking. I am not criticising anyone or questioning their diagnosis or symptoms...it is more questioning my own diagnosis, thinking maybe I have something more minor, rather than fibromyalgia :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Fri May 30, 2014 11:45 am

Carolad - 20 odd years ago my journey started off much like yours, if I may offer you one piece of advice is listen to your body, pushing yourself is good, but going beyond your limitations isn't so advisable! I wish I'd had someone tell me this year's ago before I write my body out, reaching breaking point over and over again causes flare ups, obviously something you'd like to avoid if you can :)

Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring you xx
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri May 30, 2014 11:56 am

zoomie wrote:Carolad - 20 odd years ago my journey started off much like yours, if I may offer you one piece of advice is listen to your body, pushing yourself is good, but going beyond your limitations isn't so advisable! I wish I'd had someone tell me this year's ago before I write my body out, reaching breaking point over and over again causes flare ups, obviously something you'd like to avoid if you can :)

Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring you xx

Very good advice, thank you :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Fri May 30, 2014 12:01 pm

Your very welcome, have a fab weekend :p
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia