Sick and tired!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sick and tired!

Postby zoomie » Thu May 29, 2014 1:01 pm

If I read one more post about how being more motivated, or having a better positive attitude will make me better I will leave the group.
I'm so angry, angry with the "I manage to still do this that it the other and I have fibromyalgia" and "I don't take any drugs and I manage my fibromyalgia" not forgetting the "I have to still do this that or whatever, so I can't give up"
Fibromyalgia has so many varying degrees not one of us is the same.

You go to work - great, I'm pleased for you!
You don't need meds - fabulous!

I CAN'T WORK
I HAVE TO TAKE MY MEDS

Your not better than me, your different!

This does not mean I'm not motivated, this did not mean I am not positive, it means I have Fibromyalgia that at this time is rendering me disabled. I'VE not written myself of, I have hope that I will get some normality in my life, every night I go to bed saying to myself tomorrow will be better.....

Written by someone waiting on surgury, spends 80-90% of time in bed (or on the floor of I've fallen and I'm alone) has lupus, RS, IBS, RLS & COPD.

I don't because I can't, not because I won't...
Last edited by zoomie on Thu May 29, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Re: Sick and tired!

Postby Garyl » Thu May 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Zoomie do not leave we all have our views and i agree with you it does get annoying, I have suffered bad last two days and getting sick and tired of pain and aches but not going to let what others say get me down, Keep doing whats best for you
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu May 29, 2014 1:41 pm

Sometimes those of us with the 'positive thinking makes you better' attitude find the negativity of others drags us down...but we're not allowed to say that as it's not considered nice.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:54 pm

SchroedingersCat wrote:Sometimes those of us with the 'positive thinking makes you better' attitude find the negativity of others drags us down...but we're not allowed to say that as it's not considered nice.

I am so glad you said that first!

Zoomie we positive people do still feel the pain. And as much as our positive attitude grinds on you, negativity grinds on us too. Its a two way street! The positivity and changing of attitudes and helping ourselves as fibro people. Is meant to help you not hurt you further. It's so easy for me to just give in etc. And I had a day last week where I was pretty miserable, so I said, today you win fibro, but tomorrow I am gonna kick your a**e like I do every morning I get out of bed. I'm sorry if you feel this down about it. I want to help not hurt x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Thu May 29, 2014 2:31 pm

I've not said that positivity isn't good! I'm mostly a very happy person, I do lots of different things I didn't know I could do before, what I said was, that being positive or motivated doesn't change the some facts, I can only walk a few feet unaided, I'm not crying about it, but being told if you try more..... that doesn't change the facts!
Like I said, fibromyalgia (I've been living with it for 22 years - 17 of those working two jobs and raising my children) is different for all of us, what works for one won't necessarily work for another. I'm not a negative person, far from it, but several times in the last week I've seen people shot down for daring to say they can't, there are lots of things I can't do, trying to do some of these things end up with me in hospital.
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Thu May 29, 2014 2:34 pm

Out off interest what level pain would you say you are, on a scale of 1-10? I'm asking as a few months ago ( in hospital) I was passing out with pain (apparently a level 10) so I was put on a morphine pump.... I'd like to see you positively manage with that while doing your Pilates!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby Mahboobeh » Thu May 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Zoomie i have a similar pain, im wondering how some pepole doing work?!
As I've always sick, in pain, tired and no motivation thought maybe I am lazy than others just feel embaress when see some other can doing manage well but I am not :oops: :(
Mahboobeh
UKFM Newbie

Postby zoomie » Thu May 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Mahboobeh,
Fibromyalgia has over 200 symptoms, some people have just a few, some people have many, they all share the same diagnosis. 22 years ago, at the beginning of my diagnosis I failed the "tender point" test, but apart from arthritic type pain, fatigue/insomnia I was fine. Not the case now, I have many add on diseases now too.

Your not lazy, I'm sure you do as much as you can, who would want to sit about all the time doing nothing?

Take every day as it comes, your not alone, there are many of us out there that can't do anywhere near as much as they would like xxx
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:51 pm

Positive people are being shot down too. It feels as though its a damned if you do or dammed if you dont. Yes we are all different. I have had to use a cane some mornings or afternoons fetching my kids from school. I've had days of crying from the pain etc. But since my attitude has changed and I am finding ways to to help myself, I have been feeling better. I havent used my cane in ages. Some days my feet will swell up like yesterday and the day before if I've been on them too long. But I just take things as they come. I don't feel depressed or upset about it all. I keep saying to myself, this is the hand I was dealt, I am going to use it to the best of my ability. I will turn lemons into lemonade etc. I feel if more people adopted a better attitude or tried to help themselves MORE then they will feel better in themselves. I like to say I get the fighting sprit from my parents. My dad had cancer in 2006. Instead of taking time away from work he insisted on going to work and being as Nyoman as possible. He said to my mum that if he stayed at home, the cancer might take him. He's done brilliantly and cancer free. In my family we are fighters. And just because you're in pain or having a rough day, doesnt mean you cant still fight. We are strong people, every one of us. We just need to find that fighting spirit to not let this thing take over our lives.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Thu May 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Your missing the point of my post!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu May 29, 2014 2:54 pm

On this pain scale http://fibroofoz.blogspot.co.uk/p/pain-scale.html I have been at an 8 or 9 for the last few weeks.

On my personal pain scale I was at a 2 or a 3 most of the time, until a few months back when life got a bit stressful and incredibly busy and it went up to a 3-4. I upped that to a 5 on my pain scale a few weeks ago, and for the last few days after a disastrous long weekend away, it's at about a 6, but I think my scale is rather different to the one I posted the link to. I know there's a better one somewhere that describes things better, but basically everything I do is accompanied by the distraction of constant pain, varying from just the permanent stabbing pain in my left hip, thigh, calf, ankle, buttock, and lower back, to pain in random bits of my body that can be either an ache or a sudden stabbing or burning. Yes, I am one of these annoying people who works full time and only takes OTC meds. The only reason I am not flat out in bed is because I refuse to let my body dictate to my mind what I can and cannot do. If that offends people, then I'm really sorry.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:54 pm

zoomie wrote:Out off interest what level pain would you say you are, on a scale of 1-10? I'm asking as a few months ago ( in hospital) I was passing out with pain (apparently a level 10) so I was put on a morphine pump.... I'd like to see you positively manage with that while doing your Pilates!

My pain levels vary. But they're not as bad as they used to be which was a ten every single day. I am sure the ami and added vit D are a part of my healing. As for the Pilates, I've read great improvements with people with fibro. Someone actually reported not having morning stiffness anymore! If you don't help yourself, who will?
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:58 pm

SchroedingersCat wrote:On this pain scale http://fibroofoz.blogspot.co.uk/p/pain-scale.html I have been at an 8 or 9 for the last few weeks.

On my personal pain scale I was at a 2 or a 3 most of the time, until a few months back when life got a bit stressful and incredibly busy and it went up to a 3-4. I upped that to a 5 on my pain scale a few weeks ago, and for the last few days after a disastrous long weekend away, it's at about a 6, but I think my scale is rather different to the one I posted the link to. I know there's a better one somewhere that describes things better, but basically everything I do is accompanied by the distraction of constant pain, varying from just the permanent stabbing pain in my left hip, thigh, calf, ankle, buttock, and lower back, to pain in random bits of my body that can be either an ache or a sudden stabbing or burning. Yes, I am one of these annoying people who works full time and only takes OTC meds. The only reason I am not flat out in bed is because I refuse to let my body dictate to my mind what I can and cannot do. If that offends people, then I'm really sorry.

Same here. I am sorry of my being able to live a fairly normal life offends anyone. I get pain like everyone else. It hits me out of nowhere. I can be walking normally and suddenly I am limping from pain in my bum, hip and leg. It varies but I do still get pain. But I handle it better than I used to. I too will not let fibro dictate what I can and cannot do.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Thu May 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Your still saying that if I did more, tried harder, I'd feel better, how can you possibly know how hard I try? Shall I post you a video of my screaming in pain and passing out because I tried to shower myself?

Let me repeat, I am an incredibly positive person!!! NOT ONCE DID I COMMENT THAT POSITIVITY IS BAD! If I wasn't positive if probably have given in a long long time ago:) 13th
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:02 pm

I know about screaming pain, hun. Been there, done that, still happens although not like it used to be. I'm not saying you personally aren't trying hard enough. Physically it will be hard, but it's not just physical. Its mental too. You've got to be strong mentally as well as physically.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia