Nettles

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Nettles

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:36 am

Yes, it's an odd title, but bear with me.....I did a lot of major gardening this weekend in an attempt to reclaim the garden of our new house from the encroaching jungle. In the process, I managed to nettle myself repeatedly on my left arm and hand. For a good 24+ hours afterwards I had the most unpleasant stinging pain in my arm, from my fingers to my bicep, at its worst where the nettle stings had been even though the actual bumps had long since faded. Anybody else had this? It's mostly gone now, but it was SO weird.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: Nettles

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:47 am

Everyone gets stung when they touch nettles. Its only happened to me once (learned my lesson hahaha) years ago. Only got my hand and that was pretty painful. You need a dock leaf I believe to help relieve the pain. Harder to find if its your own garden though x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 am

Sorry if I wasn't clear, Theresa, it's not the being nettled I was wondering about, I'm used to stings, scratches, cuts etc as I do a lot of gardening, and I did actually rub dock leaves on the stings which is why the bumps disappeared quite quickly, however the stinging tingling nerves in my arm went on for hours afterwards. I was just wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience as it was a very odd thing to have happen and I don't remember it happening with previous stings.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:42 am

Someone has posted about a Burning/Stinging Face. The causes/situations as to how it has come about are very different, but the sensations described do seem somewhat similar.

Irritations and strong sensations on/with the skin do seem to be quite a significant factor for some, it's something that affects me considerably when it flares up. I was told that with FM, CFS/ME etc it's not at all unusual to find that hypersensitivities develop, or pre~existing ones become even more intense, which could explain why the reaction to the nettles was so strong SC. For me, what you have described is more towards the normal end of the scale for a reaction to things like nettle stings.

A dock leaf is the age~old remedy for nettle stings, but doesn't have much effects on me :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Aloe vera gel does help tho, with it cooling down the warmth that comes from the sting, as well as helping ease the lumpy~bumpyness that appears.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:22 am

SchroedingersCat wrote:Sorry if I wasn't clear, Theresa, it's not the being nettled I was wondering about, I'm used to stings, scratches, cuts etc as I do a lot of gardening, and I did actually rub dock leaves on the stings which is why the bumps disappeared quite quickly, however the stinging tingling nerves in my arm went on for hours afterwards. I was just wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience as it was a very odd thing to have happen and I don't remember it happening with previous stings.

Ok sorry x Yes a i do remember it going on for a long time after the sting. But I cant say how long after. My kids have been stung too. Its a horrible pain :(
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Gilly52 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:40 am

Hi yes it was me who posted about the burning/stinging sensation that I get in my face, it is very irritating and annoying, and sounds maybe that was what you experienced as a result of being stung by nettles.

From the replies I have received, I can see, it is, what I thought another symptom of fibro, I wish I could be more informative about a solution, but Aloe vera gel has been mentioned in my replies so, I will try that next time.

I know my skin has become more senstitive since the onset of fibro, I have developed exczema on my legs, which gets a lot worse in warm weather or when I am stressed, I suffered from bad hayfever from the age of 10 until my 50's, when I started taking amitripylene then it suddenly disappeared, but out of the two I coped with hay fever a lot easier as at it's worse it was for only 3 months of the year !! :( X
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia