To exercise or not to exeercise

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

To exercise or not to exeercise

Postby Easylifer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:33 am

I am bouncing back and forth at the moment between thinking, there's nothing wrong its all in my head to admitting there is a problem.
Drs have referred me to a pain clinic and i had to fill out some forms, so after it sitting on the desk through my denial week last week, i have finally filled it out and sent them off.

I was doing zumba and i crashed after a couple of weeks, i started to feel better and went on a 14 1/2 mile walk which was hard but i did it, i then crashed again for a few days.

I am going to try zumba again and see what happens, the class was last night but i have a pain in my ankle so i thought id better not jump up and down on it, what do you do? if your really looking forward to doing an activity but you hurt somewhere do you not go or do you throw a couple of pain killers down and carry on?

:-?
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Re: To exercise or not to exeercise

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:38 am

It depends on whether I think it's a genuine injury or just fibro. If I think it's just fibro, painkillers and carry on.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Easylifer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:56 am

Hi SchroedingersCat :wave: :wave:

Once the pain killers have worn off do you find the ache has gone or if its worse or the same?

I think what im trying to work out is am i going to cause more pain by ignoring the fibro pain and carrying on or if it jiggles the body about enough to throw it into confusion and change the way the messages are being sent/received
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:07 pm

Tough question, and obviously what applies to me may not apply to you. Sometimes the pain is worse - but it's very specific pains like the ongoing and virtually permanent left hip/back/buttock/thigh/knee thing I have, or my forearms/hands, that are usually exacerbated by ANY activity. Sometimes after a lot of exercise I get a bunch of new pains that come and then go. I push myself hard on a lot of levels so many people will tell you I am making things harder for myself. What I can say is, the more I do, the less tired I am and the more I CAN do. The only way to find out is to try it, really. I'm planning to try a run a the weekend, something I haven't done in about 18 months, so I may report back then! Sorry, I suspect that's not very helpful.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:54 pm

Hey there, I find it doesn't matter whether I do work outs or not I am still aching, for years I've just got on with it and done about 4 sessions a week, the last month I have done nothing, not because it hurts just lost alot of oomph and motivation..do what takes your fancy, I think you will know yourself what is right for you..keep it up it does help in the long run to stay as active as you can for as long as you can..
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:07 pm

I do the gym 3 times a week and also swim. I no mine is fubro pain so i push through as not excercising makes me hurt more. I rest one day then gym next. If i notice a new pain than i go to Drs to get it checked out. They advise us to do excercise and build up slowly as doing nothing makes us worse as our jounts start ti seize up and we start to lose muscle. I no alot of people with fibro say they find it hard to excercise as they become more tired and more pain, but if you keep it up and build up slowly i think we do become a little more energetic and sleep better and have better muscle tone.
padders
UKFM Member

Postby Easylifer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:10 pm

I like to keep busy and love exercise, my partner keeps telling me i should rest and learn to pace myself, but that just makes me cross, i am learning to pace my work and quite often don't have the energy for anything else but i love the endorphin's and adrenalin i get from jumping round and burning calories, feel good factor :chicken-dance: :bear-dancing:
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Postby SandraCRH » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:18 pm

I've had fibro many years & I suppose you must exercise or you just get depressed & gain weight. Over the years I had tried the gym (cross trainer) happy to do it then when I stop can't seem to get of it because I'm so stiff. (Bike) I'm happy to do that for 30mins, then my bottom hurts for days & so on. Swimming I'm happy to do that & swim 40x25m then I can't seem to climb out the pool & walk to the car. Nothing chances. However, over the last 6 weeks I have started walking for 2 miles daily. Some days I ache like mad & others I don't. I feel you just have to learn to cope with the pain & give it a level from 1 -9 on its intensity & your ability to deal with it. Right now I've had a 2 mile walk & my feet hurt on a level of 3, my shoulder is hurting & neck at about 4. No drugs for me as I don't want to be a zombie. Good luck!
SandraCRH
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Easylifer wrote:Hi SchroedingersCat :wave: :wave:

Once the pain killers have worn off do you find the ache has gone or if its worse or the same?

I think what im trying to work out is am i going to cause more pain by ignoring the fibro pain and carrying on or if it jiggles the body about enough to throw it into confusion and change the way the messages are being sent/received

I am better off for movement. I'm worse sitting still for long periods of time. I started Pilates yesterday on the advice of my nurse. She also suggested cardio which I did twenty min of at the weekend. I am very sore from the Pilates yesterday but I can tell its not the fibro causing it as what's hurting are the muscles I used. I spent a lot of time on my back and hands and knees. The only uncomfortable parts of that exercise (I managed an hour), was in my sacroilic joints both sides and when I lay down on both sides by my hips. I don't know if that will ever go away but the rest of the exercises were ok. In the end it should tone me up and give me more flexibility. The cardio I am starting is Just Dance on the wii. It makes exercising more fun and more likely to do :-D
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:57 pm

SchroedingersCat wrote:Tough question, and obviously what applies to me may not apply to you. Sometimes the pain is worse - but it's very specific pains like the ongoing and virtually permanent left hip/back/buttock/thigh/knee thing I have, or my forearms/hands, that are usually exacerbated by ANY activity. Sometimes after a lot of exercise I get a bunch of new pains that come and then go. I push myself hard on a lot of levels so many people will tell you I am making things harder for myself. What I can say is, the more I do, the less tired I am and the more I CAN do. The only way to find out is to try it, really. I'm planning to try a run a the weekend, something I haven't done in about 18 months, so I may report back then! Sorry, I suspect that's not very helpful.

I am doing the same really. Just keep moving as I feel so much better for it x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi I try to do some gentle exercise at the wnd such as walkjng or gardening. In the week I am just too tired after work even though I work part time. By the time ive made t and cleared up im exhausted. Id say do what ur body allows u 2 but make sure its gentle so u r not in pain afterwards. :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:35 pm

If you normally do Zumba keep doing it, but be gentle with yourself, but you need to do little and often - so a shorter walk 2-3 times a week would be better for you than going crazy all on one day.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Easylifer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:48 pm

Thankyou for all your replies, i seem to have a have a good spell of a week or two and then i crash, my back went last Thursday and its put a stop to everything at the moment :-|
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Easylifer wrote:Thankyou for all your replies, i seem to have a have a good spell of a week or two and then i crash, my back went last Thursday and its put a stop to everything at the moment :-|

Oh dear! My back is a bit better thanks to core strengthening. It did twinge today but it went away thankfully! Hope your back gets better soon x
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Saffi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:10 am

libbiek30 wrote:Hi I try to do some gentle exercise at the wnd such as walkjng or gardening. In the week I am just too tired after work even though I work part time. By the time ive made t and cleared up im exhausted. Id say do what ur body allows u 2 but make sure its gentle so u r not in pain afterwards. :-D

Oh, libbiek30 - you should see MY garden, that is certainly not gentle exercise! I pulled up some 'weeds' (about 4ft high) on Sunday, and have bruised my upper arms from the strain of pulling them up! Grrr.

I have generally avoided any exercise plan/regime because it pushes me to shaking and then falling down (N.B. as I'm sure you guys know, this isn't fainting, merely being unable to actually stay standing!) but I have decided recently that I need to get stronger. I have FM and something called Hypermobility Syndrome (HMS) so my joints are incredibly painful and exercise doesn't help them just wears them down, so my muscles need to support the joints as well as being useless FM muscles. So for me exercise will be good for the FM - in time - but bad for the HMS - always. It is so terrifying to have taken the mental step to "do exercise" because my FM was reasonably settled and tolerable in my current state, and I feel insane for willingly putting myself through pain and all the rest that comes with it. It's like a form of masochism!
the internet is a lot like Ancient Egypt... people writing on walls and worshipping cats
Saffi
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia