Pilates/exercise question

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pilates/exercise question

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:58 am

I did my first Pilates two days ago. Since then I am in pain! I don't think its fibro pain as its in the muscles I used ie my abs, shoulders, neck and a little in my thighs. My plan was to do them 3 x a week, Mon, We'd & Thurs. I think I overdid it in that I did the full hour incl warm up and warm down. I read online that there shouldn't be any pain with these exercises and it is supposed to be very good for fibro people. I don't know whether to persevere and maybe only do ten minutes today or push myself. I don't want to give up on the first hurdle. Or do I wait til my muscles have healed a bit?
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: Pilates/exercise question

Postby padders » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:25 am

Hi i would carry on doing it butaybe not for the full hour. When i first started doing it i was the same. Muscles and joints ached, but over a short period was soon up to doung full class. Just listen to your body and dont push to hard start gentle and build up. When i couldnt do a excercise my instructure showed me a more gentle version of it. Pilates is good for people with fibro as it helps use our muscles and it us a gentle but goid excercise. Just take it slow and steady for the next few lessons and building up slowly. Listen to ypur bidy and you will be fine.
padders
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:28 am

I would advise you NOT to push through the pain, 20+ years of fibro experience. Although it's obviously in the muscles you have used, it's fibro that's making them more painful than you would expect. So some stretching/flexing if you are able, but I'd suggest resting the painful areas as much as you can. When the pain has gone try again, possibly for a maximum of half of the original workout time?
As I said this is advice from someone who 20 years down the line wish there had been someone to say don't push!
Are you able to have a hot Epsom salt bath? That would help relieve x
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby Suse » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:10 am

I decided to start doing yoga, which I used to do a few years ago. I did 20 minutes and felt great afterwards. The following day when I would expect to feel the after affects all I felt was pure agony in the muscles. It took two days to get over it. I won't give up on it though because my muscles will get used to it. I will do it every 3 days I suppose.
Suse
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 am

I really appreciate all your advice. I am going to try only ten minute mini workout and see how it goes. I think doing an hr for a beginner was a bit stupid of me lol I will post back to say how it went. I wont push further than that til my body is used to the exercise xxx
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby neferhapi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi Theresa,

Can I just ask are you attending a class with an instructor or using one of the dvd's you do at home? The reason I am asking is that Pilates is all about alignment and stretching so if you get your alignment slightly wrong you can injure yourself, this is something that an instructor would be able to spot and correct. When I started Pilates I found that the alignment and posture as well as the breathing felt very unnatural and would slip into a posture that 'felt right' my instructor would then correct me and explain how the way I was doing it could actually harm my body, after a couple of months the correct posture began to feel natural and I neede less correction. So if you are using a dvd you may think that what you are doing is correct but your alignment could be off and there is no way for you to spot that, I would suggest attending classes for a couple of months to get used to the basics of pilates and then switching to using the dvd's. Also an instructor will tailor the exercises according to ability and will be able to advise you on the best level for you at that time and help you to know when you are ready to progress. Personally I would always choose to attend a class over exercising at home but I can see why some people prefer to do this. Whilst with things like zumba and aerobics there is no real problem no having an external pair of eyes, with pilates and yoga you are working your muscles in postures and it is better to have someone who can spot if you are properly aligned.
I hope you feel better soon and have more success with the Pilates going forward, it has really helped me and a lot of other fibro suffers I know and I hope that it will help you
neferhapi
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:31 pm

We'll I managed around 30 mins incl warm up and warm down. Will time it properly next time. I feel ok. My abs were the only issue lol. I should have started slowly. I'm terrible :oops:

Nef I'm doing a DVD. Darcey Bussell Pilates for Life. I cant afford to go to a class and its easier at home as I can do it whenever I like and at my own pace. I'm sure my muscles are hurting due to lack of proper exercise. I started cardio on the Wii - Just Dance at the weekend. Did that for 20 mins and nearly killed me lol I'm so out of shape :lol: :crazy:
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:06 pm

neferhapi wrote:Hi Theresa,

Can I just ask are you attending a class with an instructor or using one of the dvd's you do at home? The reason I am asking is that Pilates is all about alignment and stretching so if you get your alignment slightly wrong you can injure yourself, this is something that an instructor would be able to spot and correct. When I started Pilates I found that the alignment and posture as well as the breathing felt very unnatural and would slip into a posture that 'felt right' my instructor would then correct me and explain how the way I was doing it could actually harm my body, after a couple of months the correct posture began to feel natural and I neede less correction. So if you are using a dvd you may think that what you are doing is correct but your alignment could be off and there is no way for you to spot that, I would suggest attending classes for a couple of months to get used to the basics of pilates and then switching to using the dvd's. Also an instructor will tailor the exercises according to ability and will be able to advise you on the best level for you at that time and help you to know when you are ready to progress. Personally I would always choose to attend a class over exercising at home but I can see why some people prefer to do this. Whilst with things like zumba and aerobics there is no real problem no having an external pair of eyes, with pilates and yoga you are working your muscles in postures and it is better to have someone who can spot if you are properly aligned.
I hope you feel better soon and have more success with the Pilates going forward, it has really helped me and a lot of other fibro suffers I know and I hope that it will help you

This is a VERY good point! Even if you could have one or two sessions with a qualified instructor, you are more likely to learn the correct posture and technique. We are very bad at judging what is 'good posture' ourselves so the only way you know if you are doing it right is to get an instructor to observe you. I know some physios take pilates classes and I also know of physios who do one-to-one pilates sessions. So it might be worth looking into that. I know it is expensive, but learning the correct technique means you are less likely to do damage and you will get more out of it. Once you know what you are doing, you can carry on yourself at home :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks for the advice. The DVD explains the right way and the wrong way. I honestly cant afford to get someone to teach me. I feel fine now. Did some cardio this afternoon too :-D
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Some areas have exercise/fitness schemes available "on prescription" which tend to be accessed by referral from a GP. Participation in these schemes does seem to vary from area~to~area, and the range of activities, and length of time that can be accessed for varies too. Some schemes/activities may be free of charge, others may be available for a nominal fee. Places like GP surgeries, health/leisure centres tend to have details of what is available in the area they cover, and Mr Googley can be quite helpful with info too, so it might be worth having a bit of a look, sending an email, or making a call or 2 to see what might be available in your area. Each scheme is said to give those on it access to a "trainer" who will work with the individual on a suitable plan for improving their fitness and health.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jaycee » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:48 am

I've been doing Pilates for 8 or 9 years now so before my fibro diagnosis. I find it great for body and mind. I do a couple of classes a week with a physio each one about 45 minutes so going straight in for an hour was probably too much.

You do need to be careful that you are in just the right position and that you have the right muscles switched on to give you support. So I would recommend at least a few classes if you can but if you are going just by a DVD do be really careful to follow the instructions. you will find something's tough, even these "gentle" exercises can really challenge the muscles but you will get stronger and see the improvements.

Stop any exercise immediately if you feel actual pain rather than just that something is hard. If you have a particular part of the body that your fibro effects most (for me it's upper body/arms) then still try the exercise but maybe only do a couple and then move on.

Have fun.

J
Jaycee
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:27 am

Jaycee wrote:I've been doing Pilates for 8 or 9 years now so before my fibro diagnosis. I find it great for body and mind. I do a couple of classes a week with a physio each one about 45 minutes so going straight in for an hour was probably too much.

You do need to be careful that you are in just the right position and that you have the right muscles switched on to give you support. So I would recommend at least a few classes if you can but if you are going just by a DVD do be really careful to follow the instructions. you will find something's tough, even these "gentle" exercises can really challenge the muscles but you will get stronger and see the improvements.

Stop any exercise immediately if you feel actual pain rather than just that something is hard. If you have a particular part of the body that your fibro effects most (for me it's upper body/arms) then still try the exercise but maybe only do a couple and then move on.

Have fun.

J

Thanks for the advice :) I am being as careful as I can be. The instructor is clearly more flexible than I am lol So I don't push myself to stretch as far as she does. I'm sure I will get there in the end though. I am feeling much better. Abs still hurt hahaha I am glad I did another session. Doing one more tomorrow as I'm aiming to do it three times a week and then cardio inbetween.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia