Blue light/sleep problems

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Blue light/sleep problems

Postby Gilly52 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:30 pm

Has anyone suffered with sleeping problems after using i pads,

i phones, laptops close to bedtime or actually in bed during the night?

My son kindly bought me an i pad for my birthday, I am in my 60's and have many" senior moments", so as you can imagine it is taking me a little while to getting used to using a "new" device.

One night this week I was having a big problem getting to sleep, it was 5.30am, and frustrated by now I decided to get up, I even went to check that I had taken my amitripylene (if nothing else - it does help me sleep), well yes, I had taken my tablets and put it down to one sleepness night and hoping another one was not going to follow.

However, speaking to my son on the phone the next evening, I mentioned I was tired due to the sleepness night I had experienced, he said "I hope you were not using your i pad very late last night" which I was, so he told me to" google "blue light/sleep disorders" I think I found the answer to my sleepness night there.

I pads, I phones, computer screens, LED bulbs, even flat screen TV's emit large amounts of blue light, and it is especially effective at keeping us awake as it suppresses the production of the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin, which tricks our brains into thinking it is daytime, and can be very troublesome if we are exposed to it close to bedtime in the evening.

On further reading, I learnt the easiest way to avoid blue light in the evening is to wear "amber glasses" 1-2 hours before bedtime, there are reports of feeling more relaxed, better mood, better sleep an in turn feeling more refreshed in the morning, I feeling I have not had for many years.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experienced this problem, also anyone out there that has tried wearing "amber glasses" and any results you had from them.

Well goodnight every one, sweet dreams :sleep: It's getting late so I best turn my computer off to avoid "blue light" and maybe read for a little while (not using an LED bulb :!: ) so here's hoping for a better night. X
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Re: Blue light/sleep problems

Postby Xena » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi
I haven't tried the amber glasses but am interested.
I didn't know about blue light sleep problems but I have noticed that I sleep much better if I turn everything off and just read before bed.
My husband watches TV in our bedroom, sometimes after I want to sleep (he uses headphones), so I recently bought a good quality eye mask and that is also helping.
I'm only 43 by the way, but I have LOTS of senior moments too ;-)
Xena
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:17 am

All i can say is WHAT NEXT?

If computers, etc were really causing problems as you are saying then they would have to do something about it.

After a little Googly search, i found that in Nov 2013 The Mail was saying that the blue light was good for us, but just 4 days ago it is saying it is bad for us. Blue light can also make us fat. Maybe it is the lack of something to do with our hands after we stop using the computer, etc that is actually making us fat? Research done at Harvard university is also saying that blue light is also emitted from energy efficient light bulbs! Although they also talk about circadian rhythm and the fact that we stay awake long after the biological clock is telling us we should be asleep.

I normally turn off the computer at least an hour before bed and always have done and then i read, sometimes i sleep and some times i don't, and some times i live is a world of nightmares and night terrors. So maybe when the light outside fades instead of switching on the light (bulb)we should just go to sleep? As for amber glasses, another waste of money.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby 0okelebeko0 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:13 pm

Have a look in the app store. I've got an Android phone and I use an app at night that doesn't just dim your screen, it also puts an amber cast over it. In the dark I find the display much more comfortable to read like that.
0okelebeko0
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:21 pm

Thats handy to have, will go and look thank you :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 am

I often read things on my tablet just before going to sleep, and I spend all day on a PC at work. I also usually spend time on my PC in the evening at home, but haven't lately as I'm too busy due to a recent house move. I don't have any problems sleeping at all - except that I appear to need about 10 hours a night and only usually get about 7 or 8 due to work etc!!! :roll: If this blue light thing exists, it doesn't seem to affect me or my OH who is out cold the second the light is off.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Gilly52 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I think I will look into the app store re the amber light being easier on the eye.

We all different I agree, what works for one, doesn't help another, but it is great we are all here to help one another share our experiences and our tips with coping with fibro etc.

I hope everyone is having as reasonable a day as possible.

Thanks again X :-)
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:48 am

We've never had a tv or pooter in the bedroom, and altho my phone does go upstairs with me most nights, it's because I need it for my alarm. I turn the screen brightness right down, disable all notifications apart from the alarm, and always put it screen down so that should there be anything come in, there is less chance of disturbance when it brightens up.

DS uses f.lux on his lappy, and I have it on my pinky~pooter so that I can stay online a little longer compared to looking at my screen without it on, which tires my eyes within a few mins.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia