Getting a tattoo

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Getting a tattoo

Postby Sye » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:11 am

So I'm getting a tattoo in a few weeks in honour of my late mum, I was just wondering if any of you fibro sufferers have had a tattoo after getting fibro and how it affected you? I'm a little worried it could end in a flare or something so I'd like to be prepared if there's a chance it may!
I am, and always will be
The Optimist,
The Hoper
Of Far-Flung Hopes,
The Dreamer
Of Improbable Dreams.
Sye
UKFM Member

Re: Getting a tattoo

Postby Storm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:23 am

I have 2 different tattoos, one on my back, one on my arm, both didn't hurt, I actually found them relaxing and almost fell asleep, but I have Autism and I'm a red head so I have a high level of actual pain TOUCH tolerance.

My problem with fibro is more internal pain for absolutely no reason. People step on my toes all the time and I don't feel a thing lol.
Storm
UKFM Member

Postby carlysmum » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:25 am

hi hun,i have fibro and i have had 2 tattoos done,one on my wrist and one on my belly and i did'nt think either one hurt at all,i find the fibro pain is much worse so tattoo was nothing to me personnally xxx
carlysmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sye » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:28 am

Ah thank you both for your replies :) fibro has meant I have a high pain threshold and I'm a red head too hehe so I hope it should be okay! It's just after I'm worried about x
I am, and always will be
The Optimist,
The Hoper
Of Far-Flung Hopes,
The Dreamer
Of Improbable Dreams.
Sye
UKFM Member

Postby carlysmum » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:30 am

aww bless ya,i also have a high pain threshold so im sure u will be fine xx
carlysmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby Storm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:32 am

As far as I remember, there was no pain afterwards, it can just be sore, especially if it's a large tattoo and there's a lot of fill work to do. My brother has a massive area of one colour on his arm, he's in the process of getting a full sleeve, and he said the fill work is the most sore. He doesn't have fibro, and he was quite sore on that bit, to be expected really, it's a wound at the end of the day!
Storm
UKFM Member

Postby euryleia » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:46 am

I got this done a cpuple of months ago: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... b1ceb1f550. My local tattoo studio had a Fibro Awareness fundraiser where you could choose from 4 simple fibro-related designs, but I couldn't make it, so got my own design done and donated. I've had a tattoo before and it hurt only slightly more. Didn't kick off a flare for me, but then I have a stupidly high tolerance for physical pain. Got a rush off the endorphins more than anything :) It aches for a little while afterwards but it's definitely worth it. Weirdly it takes your mind off the fibro pain while it's being done so it's quite nice in a way :) I think it's a case of ymmv really. I say go for it :)
euryleia
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:12 am

I have had 5 done all in different places on my body and no pain, a little sore aftetwards but nothing like fibro pain. All ypu need to be aware off any all good reputal studio should ask you if you have any illness and what meds are you on regular. This is to make sure that you are not on any meds that will make you bleed more so for example warfrin blood thinner tablets they shouldn't do it as you will bleed more and us dangerous. Also my son in law had a transport when he was 8 and is on anti rejection tablets so he had to have a letter from Dr to say he would be ok. Maybe worth guvint the studio a ring and check it out with tbem if you are on any meds. Ypu wont regret having it done.
padders
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:52 am

I have 3 tattoos all done before fibro days and I found it very painful getting them done. Maybe I am a woose but I love them. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby topcatt72 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:24 am

Hi.....
I have loads of tattoos....and Iv had 2 since fibro.....mine hurt a bit but.....prob cause of there location (foot and ankle).....I actually agree with the calming but for me it was a nice pain.....I didn't focus on my fibro pain.....its like it took it away for a while.....I'm due to have a half sleeve/cover up done nxt week and i know it will be fine.....to me I may have fibro but I'm not going to let it dictate and stop me from doing anything even if it does cause some pain for a little while......
On a plus note as I....like, many of u take a lot of pain killers a day....I find it does help with any pain related to having a tattoo.....hope your tattoo experience is a good 1 and wot ever u get looks great.... :-) :-) :-)
topcatt72
UKFM Member

Postby Gemski » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:35 am

Hi! I have a sleeve which I got during my worst pain (didn't know it was fibro then!) i sat for 4 hours at a time over 7 sessions. Each month was different, some days better than others. The worst pain was my inner elbow and armpit (right by 2 trigger points!!) but a lot if if was pain you can handle. The good news is during these sessions it was the only time I felt no pain anywhere else and it was great to 'see' a pain and know there was a reason for it! I took cocodemol before and after my sessions which helped a lot and my arm was sensitive to touch for about 24 hours after - hope this helps x
Gemski
UKFM Newbie

Postby Susan Stokes » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:39 am

Hi Sye, I have often thought of having a tattoo up one arm and down the other saying - 'I may look fit and well to you but I have Fibromyalgia - look it up.'
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby AnnieBannannie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:50 am

I had a 3d butterfly on my shoulder 2 weeks ago , I nearly nodded off lol x just use Cetraben 2 x daily on it and it hardly even scabs xxx :lol:
AnnieBannannie
UKFM Newbie

Postby Storm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:53 am

Your tattoo should not scab up, never let it dry out, because when it scabs, that's when the colour will fall off.

Keep it wrapped for a week, changing and gently cleaning a few times a day, and apply bepanthem cream.

I tried 2 methods for the 2 tattoos I have, and the method above worked best, especially as it was a lot of fill work. The one on my back I left to dry out but applied cream like a moisturiser and it still scabbed up and I lost a lot of colour from it. I had to ask the tattooist to do it again because they gave me the wrong information of after care.
Storm
UKFM Member

Postby Sye » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:15 am

Thanks for all of your advice everyone! I've got my tattoo booked for the 4th of July and will take all of what you've said into account :)
I am, and always will be
The Optimist,
The Hoper
Of Far-Flung Hopes,
The Dreamer
Of Improbable Dreams.
Sye
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia