New Symptom, Sleep Paralysis...Just Wonderful!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New Symptom, Sleep Paralysis...Just Wonderful!

Postby TNK* » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:19 pm

I have to admit this scared the bejeesus out of me yesterday, I was having an afternoon nap before work as i usually do, but as I was waking i heard a buzzing in my head and then couldnt move, I was awake, I had my eyes squinted open and i was blinking and trying to call out for help but could barely make a sound.

I know i have had this buzzing sensation for a good while, probably months, even before i was Dx with FM, but i have never had the paralysis before....seriously scary stuff.

I have googled it and it can be attributed to FM and even a side effect of Amitriptyline but im pretty sure i have had the associated buzzing sound for quite a while.
The recovery from this was bizarre also, like i was coming round from a seizure, and it knocked the stuffing out of me until way into the evening, whist i was at work!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Re: New Symptom, Sleep Paralysis...Just Wonderful!

Postby Ali170 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi lovely,
I've had this for years, long before I was diagnosed with FM. It's quite common I think.
I used to take a lot of weird and wonderful drugs for Asthma when I was very young, I often wondered if this contributed to it. Although my Sister suffers with it too and she's not on any medication for anything !

It seems to go in phases where it happens a lot and then not for ages.
I spoke to a sleep therapist and he didn't link it with FM, but being as we suffer with sleep problems anyway it certainly doesn't help!!

It's very scary, next time it happens, try wriggling your toes, it's supposed to break the paralysis.

Take care, Alison x :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:43 pm

the buzzing may be tinnitus, which i also get.

Are bodies are naturally paralysed whilst we are in dream sleep to stop us thinking we can fly or something just as stupid and trying to do it, however as far as i can understand it the Fibro brain works very differently to a normal brain. So although you appear to be awake your body hasn't caught up with the fact that you are.

I also get the feeling of being awake, but then realise i am still asleep and then have to tell myself (brain) to wake up.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Marky Fibro ME » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:19 pm

I understand how you feel. :(
To me, I liken it to 'coming around from Anaesthesia'.
My body won't move, my mouth can't form words, & all I can do is breath & sigh until it wears off enough to get out of bed & get to the bathroom.
I gradually become more & more physically capable as the day wears on, & it can take anything from 2 hours to 8 hours to regain full physical & cognitive function. Some days however, I function at a very low remedial level and never completely have control, & this can sometimes last for several days.
So, you're not on your own. :)
Marky Fibro ME
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks guys for your replies, its good to know im not alone.

the buzzing is not tinnitus, ive had that before but this sound is more like an elecrtonic buzzing sound.

i was really feeling out of sorts yesterday after the paralysis, it took a good few hours to start to feel more like me, i really could have done with the night off work but didnt want to let them all down at the last minute.
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Ali170 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi, yes I get the buzzing too, sort of in my temples, that's when I know it's going to happen so I get up and walk around otherwise I can feel myself being pulled back into that paralysis state.

The worst bit is being aware of someone in the room coming to "get me". If you google it you'll see it's nothing new , goes back centuries since these things were recorded. In some parts of Britain it was described as a witch sitting on the chest.

You can experience the feeling of being touched or someone on the bed with you. It's very scary but I did have a nice one once where I felt movement on my bed and saw (in the dream part) that it was my little dog from when I was a child !!!! My Sister had one recently where she felt someone put an arm round her but she said it was comforting rather then scary.

No wonder some people think they have been abducted by aliens !!!

I try to stay calm when it happens, and like I said before wriggle your toes !!!

Take care, Alison.x :shock: :shock:
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:28 am

Now i get that all the time - someone putting their arm around me while i'm asleep or someone sitting on the bed or standing in my room, but i live alone, and yes it's very scary.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:26 pm

I get the paralysis, the hallucinations and auditory hearing! :shock: :shock: :shock: frightening stuff! :yikes:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby migrembe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:31 am

I went to see my GP about it yesterday, who could hardly be bothered to listen to me, she was running late and still had patients to see and i felt i was in her way the moment i sat down. In the end she said it's probably the anti depressant and she way be right but then everyone who gets them would need to be on the same one. Personally i think it's the FM brain, which is so tired from lack of proper sleep it can no longer cope so now it is mis-firing and telling us things that are not true.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia