thought i would have a holiday how wrong

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

thought i would have a holiday how wrong

Postby lindauk1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:50 pm

i went away with my daughter it was 3 hr train ride i never thought i would be in so much pain .
Can hardly move i dread tomorrow coming i will never be going on holiday again as i can feel flare coming .Got 6 days here and i know will spend it in bed. I dont understand this disease i have had enough of it
linda
lindauk1
UKFM Member

Re: thought i would have a holiday how wrong

Postby carolad » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:58 pm

I can sympathise :( I really don't like going on holiday...I find everything - travelling, having to 'do' more, not having my own bed (and my hot water bottle, icepack etc etc) all take their toll on me. I always need a few days to recover at home after being away. For this reason, I only go on short breaks - I can manage 2 nights, maybe 3, but wouldn't go away for any longer.

I hope you can rest and still manage to get some enjoyment out of being away x
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:04 pm

I went with my sister to Dartmouth a few years ago. We went in her car so I thought I'd be ok - I spent from the saturday to the wednesday evening in bed. I'm going to sound like a big kid but "It's NOT fair" ! :(
Lindilou

Postby u37mr » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:04 pm

Aw, not good. Can't say I'm looking forward to going to Australia in December. Well, the flight is going to be 22 hours and am dreading having to turn around and say I can't do any sight seeing on a given day. Am hoping the heat and extra vitamin D will cure all. :lol: :lol:
u37mr
UKFM Member

Postby Spooky0115 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:16 pm

I have found holidays difficult.When I was in Australia many years ago(before diagnosis)I had to cancel many trips.Also a surprise climb up a mountain in Tasmania nearly killed me!!I was just looked at like I was unfit & lazy.People do not understand why you don't want to sight see or why the sun can hurt your eyes or why you just want to go to bed when you are somewhere fabulous.I have an Autistic son which makes holidays even more difficult!! My partner & I have given up on hol's for a few years!..........also I just remembered the misery of being blue on an english beach unable to play with my children & having to carry all the heavy wet suits etc back to the car,then having to get it all ready for the next day to do all over again!So very hard.
Spooky0115
UKFM Newbie

Postby lindauk1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:24 pm

well i was right so ill today. I hope you are ok going all way australia i feel for you
linda
lindauk1
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:51 pm

its weird as i feel the total opposite, i love going on holidays, the hotter the better and having something to look forward to and plans to make keeps me going and then i can veg out while im away.
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Carphil » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:24 pm

I must admit I love my holidays. My husband arranges the extra leg room on the flights, the help I need to get me on and off the planes. The help I need fot the transfers and the accommodation to be ground floor and close to restaurants,pool etc. this all takes time to organise but very worth the time to get it all set up.
I spent the eight days laying on the very comfortable sun lounger under the sun shades by the pool and swimming in the pool every day. It's so good to feel almost normal in water. We even took my pillow, four wheeled walker and could have arranged for my wheelchair to go. As I had no intention of going out of the lovely complex I didn't take that as I knew I wouldn't need it this time.
With luck we will book a return trip to the same place next year.
All the extra help I need was organised over the phone and by email and so worth the extra time it took. Xxx
Carphil
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:34 pm

It sounds like it works best when you go away to do nothing :) That's actually what my Rheumatologist said I should do - book a 2 week holiday somewhere warm and just do nothing! I could never imagine myself doing that though. I've always been into activity, sightseeing holidays. That's probably why I don't like holidays now - because I still want to do a busy sort of holiday but I'm just not able for it any more. I'm not great in the heat either - about 20 degrees is nice but any warmer and I feel even more tired than usual. I also have very sensitive fair skin that burns within about 5 minutes of being in the sun!

So I'm not the lie about in the sun type and I'm not fit for sightseeing holidays...what's the answer??
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:38 pm

carolad wrote:It sounds like it works best when you go away to do nothing :) That's actually what my Rheumatologist said I should do - book a 2 week holiday somewhere warm and just do nothing! I could never imagine myself doing that though. I've always been into activity, sightseeing holidays. That's probably why I don't like holidays now - because I still want to do a busy sort of holiday but I'm just not able for it any more. I'm not great in the heat either - about 20 degrees is nice but any warmer and I feel even more tired than usual. I also have very sensitive fair skin that burns within about 5 minutes of being in the sun!

So I'm not the lie about in the sun type and I'm not fit for sightseeing holidays...what's the answer??

A quaint country village?
Lindilou

Postby TNK* » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:38 pm

carolad wrote:

Cruise!! you can do sightseeing without leaving the ship, you can relax when you want or pop inside when too hot!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:09 am

TNK* wrote:

Cruise!! you can do sightseeing without leaving the ship, you can relax when you want or pop inside when too hot!

I don't like boats and I think I'd find that too claustrophobic! I am fussy, aren't I? ;)

Country village might work :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby pj1943 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:26 am

I have found cruises when I can afford it are easiest. Unpack then do you want, laze around various lounges Jacuzzis nice and warm can help :-) also plenty beds around decks with soft mattress thingys on them. If you feel up to going ashore fine but you don't have to. Beds not too good though - really need my own which I have adapted to suit me with various memory foam toppers!
pj1943
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:07 pm

try to remember love every day with fibro is different ,so maybe tomorrow will not be so painful.
you cant give up on a holiday . even if this one is a right off .i cant afford to go on wonderful trips where your waiting on hand and foot but i do go to heaven in a nice mobile home they have so i can relax once im there. everything there without breaking the bank xxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:18 am

I have the attitude that...I am going to hurt and be tired but I might as well be trying to do or see something I enjoy.

We have a boat that I love being out on. Even though the sun, summer and me don't mix well. I wear my floppy hat, 65 sunscreen and. Carry extra pain meds. We put lots of pillows in the area I like. I can lie down and sleep when needed. We adapt.

We also have a 30ft caravan. Love it. I can relax as much as needed. It is like a house but it is still getting away, a change. If I can go on a hike one day great if not I sit in my zero gravity chair and enjoy the lake.

My favourite holiday though is to come home to Yorkshire. Walk around Whitby, shop high streets or just sit around the coal fire.

The long flight can be awkward and painful but there are many things I do that helps.

The thing is, no matter where you go, or what you do on a holiday, even if it is just to sit and do nothing, it is a change. We may still hurt but we can take meds. We may get exhausted but we can rest when needed. We should try to enjoy ourselves being in a different enviroment. The symptoms are not going away so take that holiday, enjoy every different moment.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia