First use of wheelchair

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

First use of wheelchair

Postby Helhit » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:53 am

Hubby took me to Ikea yesterday and it started off well. I used my stick and sat when tired, which is very easy at Ikea!

Well the fatigue took over and I just couldn't go any further, so we ended up borrowing one of their wheelchairs. It was a very weird feeling of giving up, then acceptance and joy at being able to get around. Luckily my hubby made light of the situation and the embarrassment I initially felt went.

I'm due to go on hols to Spain next week and will be doing a lot of sightseeing, so now contemplating hiring one should I need it.

Am I giving up? I feel a fraud: my mind says you don't need it, my body says otherwise.

Constant to-ing and fro-ing of emotions over something that is helping - arrrghhh

I'm still determined to walk as much as I can, but is it worth getting a wheelchair for home ?
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Re: First use of wheelchair

Postby Garyl » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:06 am

Helhit if you got on alright with one and are better using one then get one, see if doctors can help via physiotherapy department, i was very anti a 3 wheeled walker and was struggling with 2 walking sticks was persuaded by a physio to try walker and not looked back since.

I only use walker to fetch shopping and use sticks other times. If the wheelchair you used helped then get one, is nothing wrong with it, Do not be a martyr like i was till i gave in and got a walker.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Librarychick » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:13 am

I hired a wheelchair in Disney when I took my grandchildren last year. It was hard, but worth it. My thoughts to you are that you are looking forward to your holiday, why not enjoy it? Me thinks that your hubby would relax more as well if he knows your fatigue will be eased by using a chair. The only regret I have is that I didn't go to my local mobility shop first and see what the have to offer. Mine hires out chairs both pushers and electric ( yes they take them on some planes) but they let you play around and see whatA's best for you.

Also, phone your airline and ask for airport assistance both sides. They will transport you and everyone on your passport to the plane from checking in.

I also use a three wheeled walker. As Daryl said, don't be a martyr, give in and get one. But buy the best one that you can afford.

Have a lovely holiday.
Librarychick
UKFM Member

Postby gilld » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:58 am

Hi!
I always book special assistance when flying...and make sure you book to plane and not just steps.I use Ryanair going back anf forth to Spain where I live and they have always been excellent. Thay now allocate you a seat to which doesn't cost you anything and travelling 'carer' anything.
I always feel weird being pushed about but needs must when FB drives!
Hope you enjoy holiday!
gilld
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:17 pm

Helhit wrote:Hubby took me to Ikea yesterday and it started off well. I used my stick and sat when tired, which is very easy at Ikea!

Well the fatigue took over and I just couldn't go any further, so we ended up borrowing one of their wheelchairs. It was a very weird feeling of giving up, then acceptance and joy at being able to get around. Luckily my hubby made light of the situation and the embarrassment I initially felt went.

I'm due to go on hols to Spain next week and will be doing a lot of sightseeing, so now contemplating hiring one should I need it.

Am I giving up? I feel a fraud: my mind says you don't need it, my body says otherwise.

Definitely not giving up :nono: :nono: :nono: I'd say it's a case of adapting to your changing needs and abilities so you can continue enjoying day~to~day life.

Our minds are rather good at making us think that we don't need something, that we can carry on in the same sort of ways we did previously, but then our bodies start telling us a slightly more truthful version of what is happening, which is why you often see the suggestion about learning to listen to what your body tells you.

Adding any sort of aid into life can stir up the sorts of thoughts and feelings you're having, it seems to be part of the adaptation process that needs to be gone thru before you can reach the magical place of Acceptance. A visual/physical acknowledgement of your condition is a rather :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: maybe even :oops: :oops: :oops: point to be at, but finding a way to deal with it, like hubby did with adding a bit of lightness to things, does make things a tad easier to cope/live with.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Helhit » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I think I was shocked at having arrived at the stage of needing the wheelchair, especially as I'm off work at mo trying to build up my strength.

Still having thought it through, I'm def going to hire one. Trouble is we've hired a small car and with our suitcases I'm not sure a wheelchair will fit in. Have any of you tried the folding type that goes in a bag? Are they any good?
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Gilly52 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:34 pm

Hi Helhit

Nooooo don't think you are giving up by needing a wheelchair, I was just like you at the start with my mind saying NO but my body saying YES, I don't always use it when we go out, generally for longer shopping trips and when I feel very fatigued, so sometimes it becomes the answer of going or not going out. My hubby and I try to keep it as light hearted as we can, and he reminds me not too much shopping as we have to get the wheelchair in the car to go home :!:

I have not taken it on holiday abroad, I have always managed in the airports with my walking stick, but I needed a chair to do any serious sightseeing. We visited Italy & Malta and each time I e mailed the Hotel and they we able to put me in touch with hire places out there. In Italy it is generally the pharmacies that hire them out, in Malta they gave an e mail address of mobility hire shop and the wheelchair was delivered to the hotel on my arrival, but I am sorry I have no info on how this works in Spain, maybe a quick e mail to your hotel could help.

However, what ever you decide the most important thing is to go and ENJOY every minute of it.

Take Care Goodnight :sleep:
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:24 am

That's a good idea. I'll get hubby on the case and if in future it need it I can use the airport assistance.

Thank you everyone for your advice :flowers:
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:01 am

Well I thought I'd give you an update on my holiday. I'm in majorca, in the sun and feel ...... fabulous!!!

We decided against getting the wheelchair for the week, mainly as it won't fit in car. So I'm relying on my trusty stick. We're driving a lot (I'm quite lucky as I don't get too much pain in cars) and then having a short stroll. I've even been swimming, although did ache afterwards.

There's been a few things that I can't do, like walking too far and any type of hill. Also we're going to go to see the caves of drach until found out its 119 steps down - 110 steps too many!!

I think the key has been lots of rests, short strolls and def the sun. Tbh I can't quite believe it as 4 days before going I was in docs unable to talk properly, crying and so so tired. Let's hope a bit if this week stays with me when I get home
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:00 pm

What great news so glad you are having a fab time as it will do wonders for your health, hope it lasts long after you get home :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby LizzyMac » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:38 pm

I'd pretty much stopped flying and travelling at all because it was just too difficult.

But about six months ago I took a flight with wheelchair assistance, and it was so easy. Everyone was very kind. I carried my stick with me too and had no trouble getting all that through security, etc.

Will always ask for help in the future. It makes travelling so much easier. I only wish they had a similar service for trains! :lol:
LizzyMac
UKFM Member

Postby Sharon2011 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi
Just came on to say was looking to go and buy a scooter for the car as I feel as if I am becoming more housebound and not interacting with the family. I am only 45 so feel a bit embarrassed but if it gives me a better quality of life then I think I will give it a go.
Sharon2011
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:53 pm

helhit....I am glad to hear your holiday is going so well. Sometimes just getting away can do the world of good. I think it has to be the change of environment . We are no longer in the same place that day after day. We are reminded of what we can and can't do. Just the change somehow gives us a new outlook. We want to push ourselves that little bit more because there is something new to see...the unknown over the hill.

Sharon....don't ever feel embarrassed to use a device of any kind. Whatever you need to use, if it helps then use it. People will not be looking at you, they are more likely to notice if you were struggling. As you know, people of all ages use mobility devices. My SIL has been in a chair from birth and my FIL became dependent of a chair at 40. You go ahead with that scooter. If it gives you more freedom, more self esteem and a better quality of life, go for it and enjoy.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Helhit » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks Whoami, I've had a brill holiday.

We went to Port Aventura and I hired a wheelchair - boy was I glad I did. Knew there'd be walking, but hadn't realised quite how much. It made all the difference. I was able to go around with the family instead of searching for the next place to sit.

Sharon - use the scooter - use anything that will help. Don't feel embarrassed either - it's only you that's putting up barriers, worrying what people will think, is this what I've become (see I've been there!!!). The relief of being able to join in without feeling exhausted is soooooo much better than not using anything and feeling like a burden. I'm 45 and would have quite happily used a motorised wheelchair if there were any left.
Helhit
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia