Probiotics

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Probiotics

Postby carolad » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:32 pm

Still on the lookout for dietary supplements that might help...and I've been reading about the benefits of probiotics. Has anyone had any benefit from taking probiotics and if so, is it better to take a tablet or a drink like Yakult?
carolad
UKFM Member

Re: Probiotics

Postby scoke » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:49 pm

I was told by a short-lived doctor in my surgery that she prescribed them a lot in a London fibromyalgia clnic and she recommended a specific brand to me. For almost two weeks I was getting increasingly excited as I was feeling the benefits - no less aches and pains nor less fibro fog but IBS improving then suddenly had terrible diarrhoea, couldn't get a docs appt for a couple of weeks so googled it and (because all info was from companies that sold probiotics, it was hard to find) several cited this as a side effect. Only one suggested the reason - that the dose was too high and it seemed the two weeks worth I'd taken, in the specified dose for beginning the course, were enough for a whole year. Now it could be that different companies had different measurements but that worried me somewhat and I left them off for a while, intending to try again after speaking yo doctor but she'd left by the time I felt ready to try again and the good effects faded fast. Ax far as yakult and it's ilk goes a nutritionist told me that there was too much sugar in any of them - so much that it offset any benefit you might receive - I'd never thought it helped me anyway. Hav more recently read of research done on it which showed there was no predictable result - it depended upon your own gut's needs and people could anything from brilliant results to quite adverse effects - so sorry, all that blurb and I've not exactly been helpful, have I?
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby LameBadger » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:59 am

@Carolad, I think some of my F.B.could be down to candida over-growth. Got my Dr to prescribe a weeks course of fluconazole. That will kill off the candida but also the good bacteria too. The idea is to repopulate with the good bacteria. I am going to use shielded lactobacteria pills. The tablets have to be shielded ( be coated ) to get past the digestive acid in the stomach. That is why I dont think a drink product will not work. The acid kills it.
I had a very good reaction from the very first tablet. IE pains easing up and not as stiff etc. Last tablet tomorrow. And then the probiotic. As the other reader says too much will give you problems. So I will stick to the recommended dose. I can only see how it goes, and at least I am trying to get out of this illness. That in its self seems to help even if it is just a placebo effect. You can read up on Candida and its effects by just Googling it. Good luck. ( I get my Vitamins and probiotic from a company called Simply Supplements. Cheap reliable and they deliver all over the UK )
LameBadger
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:43 am

It has been scientifically proven that probiotics do not work. All the yogurts and drinks that had health claims on them have had to remove the claim, if you don't believe me go look.

However if you have had a stomach bug or a bad stomach or been on antibiotics you may find they help to settle your insides. I believe one of the side effects is diarrhea and stomach cramps.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby LameBadger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:16 am

That's why I said use shielded ( coated) tablets. :roll:
LameBadger
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia