fibro after an op?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fibro after an op?

Postby TNK* » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Ive already been dx with FM....and ive read that surgery can bring on fm.....so was wondering if there will be any nasty suprises for me in a few weeks after I have a general anaesthetic after surgery on my bowel....ill be in hosp for a few days after as its not goin to be keyhole surgery?
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Re: fibro after an op?

Postby Mojolost » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:55 pm

I think what you may have read, is, that surgery can trigger fibro initially, not just a flare up. I was fit and healthy, until I was diagnosed with cancerous cells and had to have a full hysterectomy. My recovery was slow and I had all sorts of symptoms and illnesses. three years later I was diagnosed with Fibro.
Mojolost
UKFM Newbie

Postby nannyogg » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:10 pm

Hey TNK, I had heard the same thing and was worried too when I had to have an op in April; but I really wasn't too bad afterwards - tired, but I wouldn't say it was any worse than anyone without fibro would expect after an op.

I asked the same question here before mine, and will repeat what someone said to me - everyone is different (in terms of fibro symptoms etc) so, different people will respond differently...but a flare up after an op is NOT definite...so try not to worry yourself too much ( tho I know it's hard...)
nannyogg
UKFM Member

Postby dejay » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:40 pm

hi all i have had a few opps since having fibro, but before the last two i had read in the fibro mag all the things you should tell your sergean before op , i took this with me he was very interested in reading it and put in place some of the things advised,sorry i cant be more help but i did not get the mag back or remember every detail,but i did feel more comfortable after thease two ops, and i was up and about more quickly than previous ops, and no flare ups for some time. i hope some one on the forum can help with what month the mag i mean came out because you can order back issues, if not tell every one on the ward you have fibro i think it should be in everyones notes so things could be put in place for your recovery. hope this helps and someone can be a bit more help on the mag details
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:33 pm

It's not easy to say what could happen after an op with FM. For some it could cause an almighty flare~up, for others there could be very little, or no aggravation to their condition, as well as many, many possibilities between.

When someone posts about needing/having to go for an op, the general advice given tends to be along the lines of notifying/advising everyone involved with your care about having FM, meds and dosages, additional conditions and problems both relating to, and independent of FM, and anything/everything else that you think may be relevant/helpful to your care team. Hopefully then it will help minimise any problems that may arise.
dejay wrote:hi all i have had a few opps since having fibro, but before the last two i had read in the fibro mag all the things you should tell your sergean before op , i took this with me he was very interested in reading it and put in place some of the things advised

If you can give us idea about when you had your last 2 ops, we might be able to work out which issue of the magazine it was in, and see if we can find the info as it would be useful to have on the forum where it can be read by anyone who will be undergoing surgery.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dejay » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi again just found in one of my fibro mags; Fibromyalgia Magazine Back issues. website http://bit.ly/1304asj It is about 12 to 18 months ago when i had my last ops.just found another saying all back issues of the fibromyalgia mag going back to sept 2010 are now available on line for £1.99 a copy. http://bit.ly/1304asj Have written just as it is in the mags so i dont make any mistakes,as i am still learning this computer thing but i learn something then the fog comes down and i have to start again, hope this can help, in future i shall keep tight hold of all my mags,
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:42 am

.. Everyone reacts differently to surgery without having fibro. It would be hard to say how you will react.

...I have had over 25 surgeries while having fibro. I can honestly say that I have not had any extra fibro symptoms or flare ups with them. I had the usual discomfort with each and recovery time.

...My only issue is that I heal terribly and my incisions split open on the third day. Sometimes it has taken a year of the nurse coming to pack them.....this has nothing to do with having fibro though.

..You need to make sure all your health care team know about all your conditions and meds. Even if you think it is a small issue or the med is an over the counter med.

...I am on a high dose of Fentanyl so they have to adjust for that during the anesthetic. That is why you need to make sure they know about meds...the anesthetic. You may be asked to completely stop some meds a few weeks before or just the day before. Do as asked.

...I am sure your operation will go fine and you will hopefully have no extra discomfort.

Duh! !! I just had brain fog...we have had conversations about all of this already, LOL Oh well, you can have a chuckle. X
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Just had a search and found this topic.

I am seeing a consultant tomorrow about surgery to remove my gallbladder. I am aware that this proceedure can be keyhole but if any complications then they will change it to be cut right open :yikes: trouble is that where the cuts will be made either way it will be along the sternum/rib cage my worst areas! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: or i wonder if they have been the worst areas because of the stones :-? :-? :-? :-?

With also being diagnosed with costochondritis and having the cuts around that area im not looking forward to it... or again was it costo or was it the stones? :-? :-? :-?

Anyways another anxious fibro not looking forward to waking up with pain and recovery :crazy: :crazy:

No doubt i shall let them all know of my situation and hope for the best! On top of this i have just found out that my body reacts to stress with hives & angiodemea so thats gonna be an added problem! :roll: as well as TMJ and having that tube down my throat :-?

Then the CFS knocking me for 6 afterwards and my muscles seizing and straining up when flat on my back recovering...

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Lindenp » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:35 pm

I have searched through the magazines but can't find the article you mention. I am having my Gall bladder removed by keyhole surgery next Wednesday and like you all I am wondering if the Fibro is going to affect the speed of my recovery. They advise you that it takes 4 weeks to recover from but I am anticipating that it might well take me much longer than that. :crazy:

I contacted my local council about getting help after I get discharged but they said that the hospital will sort all that out. The problem is that I doubt very much if anyone at the hospital has much idea about what it's like to suffer with Fibromyalgia. I think I am going to get someone to visit on the day after surgery so that if I do need help they will be able to speak to the council for me. Here's hoping that I recover as quickly or faster than they say you will. Thanks for all the comments and advice it's been really useful.

Gentle Hugs
Linden
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 am

Hi Linden,

I would like to be informed of how you get on and :goodluck2: and hope the operation goes well.

Im still waiting on an op date :roll: they told me i am at huge risk of pancretitas because i have small stones and these are more fatel yet iv been told i have to wait until september! :yikes:

I have found that the doctors are not at all concerned with the fibro more on my anxiety levels! surrounding it all and wanted to just increase my sertraline for naxiety by double the amount :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: its like as soon as i mention the fibro it falls on deaf ears and there not bothered :-?

I have been told to speak to the doctors at the hospital when i get there for the op about my concerns but to me thats too late :nono: but no one wants to know before that!

What you can do is contact OT or Social services and ask them for advice / help for after the OP???

My daughter will be staying with me afterwards so i know i have some support but they dont ask you this they assume :-? and theres no guidlines or help in seeing if you do need this support for afterwards.

Keep in touch or PM me would like to know how things go for you. :hugs: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Lindenp » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi Lisa, I will definitely let you know how I get on. :-) I have arranged for an agency person to come in the day after the Op so hoping that she will be able to sort some help out if I need it. Hope you get your date through soon. I have had to wait 16 weeks since seeing the consultant when the maximum up here in Scotland is supposed to be 12 weeks. :shock:

I was also supposed to get a quicker appointment because I was in lots of pain when I saw him but the waiting list people made a muck of it. They told me it would be the end of June beginning of July but when I phoned them again they said August/September. She said they were fully booked for July! She passed it on to the supervisor who called me back and miraculously they had just received confirmation from the surgeon for 30th July!! Talk about passing the buck. :nono: :yikes:

I try to be patient with people as I know they are all under loads of pressure but my advice would be to keep ringing them to get them to commit themselves to roughly when your appointment is likely to be for. If you don't hear anything by a few weeks before they say get back on to them! :!:

I hope you get an appointment soon.

Gentle hugs
Linden
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:48 pm

I asked my GP to inform the consultant to look at my case as an emergancy as its pain on top of pain and the fatigue knocks me for 6 days after an attack. Attacks now last many days, the last one resulted in me going to the hospital and i should have been put on a drip as i was dehydrated from the vomiting and not being able to eat but was told that A&E was "busy" and to come back in the morning!! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

When asking how long can i go without eating as it causes pain i was told that as long as i can intake fluids i will be fine!

Again when seeing a hospital doctor they were not concerned about the pain as i didnt have inflammation nor an infection so they were mainly concerned about dehydration and not about getting me in for surgery early either! :nono:

Anyways my GP said he wasnt able to refer me as an emergancy case but i could write a letter which he would forward on about my struggles and how its effecting me and my illnesses. This letter has done nothing to help my case!

It took 6 weeks for a scan then a further 6 weeks to see the consultant. Then i was in and out. He was more focused on that i had lost weight which was "good" as my BMI was extremely high. as a result i am allowed surgery as i still continue to loose weight because i am (as you will know) very limited in what i can eat and a diet which is fat free. I have lost nearly 4 stone since being ill :yikes: Ok i was VERY over weight but if this had of been some one with a low BMI or even a normal range im sure they would have had to act quickly!

Im fed up with eating dry bread and mug shots and ice lollies :roll: been many many months since i ate a substancial meal :( but as i still have more weight to loose they leave me.

My dad nearly died of pancretitas caused by a gallstone, when explaining this and my fears i was just given a perscription of anxiety tablets at a high dose :-?

So my conclusion is that it doesnt matter how ill you are you have to just wait! :( and inbetween times if your ill they treat that whilst you wait it doesnt push you up the list any further.

I shall call them next week and pressure them ;-) then be on there case each week there after as you say its the only way now i think.

Not that im looking forward to surgery cause im not! :yikes: my last OP went wrong anf i spent years in therapy because of it :( but i cannot live like this much more and the thought of being a high risk of pancretitas is sending my anxiety in over drive so just want it done out of the way asap!

Then im worrying about afterwards :roll: i was told if they cant do keyhole then will be cut open etc. Went through the many risks but i was that 1 in a million last time so i suppose thats just heightened my fears.

Im saying to myself that a normal person recovers as you say 4 weeks so im doubling that and anything shorter is a bonus :lol:

Its also silly little things like its my 40th b/day next month :oops: and i cant enjoy any cake or have a drink or even go out for a meal cause it agrivates the gallbladder :( i booked a short break away in september so looks like that will have to be cancelled to :crazy:

im rambling on now :oops:

Again good luck and hope this agency person is of help to you
*Lisa*

Postby whoami » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Lisa..... May I ask what went wrong with a previous surgery that has you scared.? As I have said I have had quite a few operations and some bad problems afterwards. The great thing was my fibro symptoms did not change at all. Anyway, if you need to talk you can PM me if needed
I hate to hear you are so stressed by this surgery. Even with the large incision, I also had that, the surgery is quite routine.

I can appreciate your being upset and anxious about weight loss but the Dr must have a reason for not doing you sooner. You need to ask exactly why it is taking so long. I wasn't sure what my issue was when I had gall bladder surgery. I had been vomiting blood for months but did not realize it was blood. It didn't look like blood to me, LOL We were out of town and I was having severe pain and they told me about the blood when I vomited. They wanted to admit me but I said I wanted to get home to my own hospital. The Dr gave me some med through IV then let me go if I promised to go right home. We were on a fishing trip and I didn't want to spoil my hubby 's time so I never said anything about it until we got close to home...a few days later, LOL He ran me to emergency. The Dr had faxed all info my surgeon who I have had many times was not impressed....they had me in surgery within the hour.

Next time you call your Dr ask him to tell you exactly why you are having to wait so long. Take care
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks Whoami i shall PM you as its too personal for an open forum.

Im glad you managed to get in asap for your operation and it went well.

Gallbladder removal in the UK is the No1 operation meaning thousands have it done each year. The NHS are struggling with the volume of people especially now we have many people in this country from abroad.

This then adds to the waiting times but i shall start ringing up from next week and see whats happening.
*Lisa*

Postby TNK* » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi folks, well to say i am a bit peeved is an understatement, my op should have been on thurs 17th july, on the night before about 7pm i had a phone call to say it had been cancelled....i was livid, then calmed down a bit thinking it must have been something serious for the surgeon to cancel, then i find out he was doing his usual clinics thursday afternoon!!
The only excuse i got was that the consultant had "commitments" what sort of crazy ass excuse is that...I know he had commitments...I WAS ONE OF THEM!!
Anyway, surgery no going ahead, on 14th august, I am well annoyed as we had to cancel out holiday plans with the kids!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia