Is this fibro fog?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is this fibro fog?

Postby HelenE56 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:30 pm

Recently I have been forgetting things like names when I am introducing people ( people I have known a long time) turning up at wrong times for meetings, specific descriptive words etc. I find this a bit embarrassing and distressing. I am usually a very organised, efficient and reliable person. I am also tiring very easily even though I am sleeping quite well for me. Is this what fibro fog is like? Sometimes my head feels like it's packed with cotton wool. Seeking reassurance, thanks.
HelenE56
UKFM Newbie

Re: Is this fibro fog?

Postby padders » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:15 pm

It sounds like fibro fog to me. I am the same and it can get very upsetting at times as you said forgetting people's names and forgetting mid sentence what you was actually talking about. Family are used to me but still hard on them. Even worse when it happens and the person/group don't understand as strangers. Tiredness is part of fibro as well and if doing to much the symptoms can become worse. You say you sleep quite well that is good. I wake up every morning at 2AM and that is it no matter what time I go to bed. Try and get plenty of rest during day if possible and try not to get upset or stressed over the memory as this may just make things worse.
padders
UKFM Member

Postby anne1206 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:16 pm

went to docs last year for the same problems, went through numerous tests with a psychologist, and was told I had early onset alzheimers, What a shock, but my hubby and I were not convinced about the diagnosis, we tried showing the psycho the stats about fibro fog which fits everything that is happening to you and was happening to me as well, did they look at it NO, they then sent me for a s.p.e.c.t. scan and then said "No you dont have alzheimers, it must be stress or your medication". to say I was furious was an understatement.
I think you probably are suffering from fibr fog like the rest of us, not nice and so embarrasing at times, I cope by writing things down and having to apologise and explain it is part of my condition that ffects my memory.
Just wonder when the medical proffession will actually listen to us about our own bodies and minds.
Gentle hugs x
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby mary251 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:20 pm

That's fibro fog alright. I've given up trying to remember names and just call everyone 'hun' or 'sweetie' in an attempt to hide it! It's really irritating but try not to stress over it - just makes it worse. I find writing everything down helps. I use a diary, a calendar and the organiser on my phone, and if I don't put appointments and stuff in it immediately, I forget them and do things like turn up on the wrong day.
Sometimes, there is simply not enough chocolate in the world...
mary251
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Yes it sounds like "the fog". I also have to write things down as they just vanish from brain. Forgetting my train of thought half way through a sentence or using a totally irrelevant word. I try to laugh at myself but it does get annoying. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:13 pm

My mum was diagnosed at 55 with Alzheimer's, but her worst symptom was not being able to work out how to do a simple task like fasten her coat or when asked to staple a sheet of paper from each of 5 separate piles she just stapled pile no 1 together then 2 and so on. I didn't see any symptoms of fm in her, although everyone's different aren't they.

I have the fog and it's terrible. I forget mid sentence what I was going on about, I forget words whilst the wrong one is in my head , so I normally say that. My spelling is appalling, I forget where I know people from and then their names. The more tired I get the worse it gets and if I'm stressed I sometimes just can't get any words out - is like my mind says "don't bother"! I love reading but really can't any more and struggle to do crosswords, looking up the most simplest of words . I started writing a list of jobs to do this morning, but could only write 2 items before my arm started killing , so I had to use the left. So now I've got a badly written, terribly spelt list that no one can read.

But as my beautiful, intelligent mum said to me - I've got this terrible illness and I can choose to go one of two ways. I can be angry and upset or I can smile through it. She chose to smile and I'm trying to do the same
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:59 pm

I lost my mum through Alzheimers about 7 years ago and was convinced I was going the same way. Fortunately I was attending support group meetings and they all assured me I was not - "It's foggy brain" they said, "we're all like it". Anyone listening in to a few fibromites talking usually end up on the floor, rolling about with laughter. As one husband said "I can't understand a word you are saying but you all carry on the conversation as if you do". Which of course we did. It's taken me years to come to terms with it but I'm coping by laughing at myself, before anyone else does. I'm 67 so can pass a lot of it off as being a dotty old woman. If I'm speaking to someone who doesn't know me or my situation, I simply say - "sorry - brain malfunction" and smile. I'd like to say it does get better, but like every other symptom of FM there are good days and bad. Until some genius comes up with a cure (or at least assistance) we're stuck with it. It may have my mind and body but it's not having my spirit.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby HelenE56 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:26 pm

Thank you for all your replies. It's good to know others are coping with the same problems. I do rely on my calendar, diary and notebook. Regarding sleeping I usually wake once through the night in the early hours or with the dawn chorus, but recently I have been managing to go back to sleep again which is much better.
HelenE56
UKFM Newbie

Postby mags3pets » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Sounds like it. I do all that too. Best one was in March when I was with my Rheumatologist. She asked me if I was affected by sunlight and I for some unknown reason I thought she was talking about Sunlight soap and so I said, "No my mum always bought Pears soap. " she looked at me, laughed and said, "No I meant the sun in the sky. " :-) :-)
mags3pets
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:22 am

Lol mags that made me chuckle. I'm forever misunderstanding people, it's so frustrating. I find I'm suffering from FF more and more these days. I can't think of words, even if I know the word or am even looking at it on a piece of paper I just cant get my mouth to say it. I forget names, dates, details of conversations, I start sentences and forget what I want to say. Similarly I get up to do something, am half way there and have no idea what I wanted to do. The list goes on.
I find it really quite upsetting sometimes, I do a creative writing class which I love and sometimes it's all I can do to string a sentence together that makes sense. Its like walking through molasses except your thinking through molasses instead of walking. I dont think that makes sense but you know what I mean.
What really upset me is bumping into a couple of old school friends once a year or so ago, I just couldn't make sense. They have no idea of my problems cos there's really no point in telling everyone and even to my own ears I sounded stupid. It made me realise how bad I've gotten since the beginning.

Take care xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby Annie54 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:37 am

I was glad to see this post. I didn't realise these symptoms were part of fibromyalgia. It's a relief to know! As well as fibromyalgia I have an underactive thyroid and before I was diagnosed and started taking thyroxine I had a very foggy brain and I thought it was to do with that condition. It's good to know that the fibro is responsible for me not remembering words or names, etc., and nothing else is going wrong! :-)
Annie54
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:12 am

sounds like the dreaded fog to me.... i suffer terrible and it makes me angry and frustrated especially when my children are "helping me" find the word that i want :-x To me the fog and memory problems is far worse than the physical

j xx
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby froghop65 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:28 pm

I experience the same thing. My best friend of 33yrs, I jst couldn't remember her name this morn. My memory is like a sponge today...full of holes. Its really frustrating, and I was the PA to a Senior Manager at Glasgow City Council Social Work Services, it doesn't feel like it today.
froghop65
UKFM Newbie

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Well my brain fog made me laugh today. Went to use my nasal inhaler and put it in my ear!! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:33 am

oh dotty that is totally priceless :lol: xx
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia