Changing the sheets

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Changing the sheets

Postby Butterfly8588 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:02 am

Does anyone else find this exhausting and painful? Admittedly the heat hasnt helped obviously but I've had to change the sheets in 4 stages today and I'm now completely wiped out, my hands and arms are hurting as is my back and legs.
It's just changing the sheets for goodness sake! It shouldn't feel like an insurmountable task!
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Re: Changing the sheets

Postby sarahborien » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:07 am

YES!! This is one of the most difficult things to do when you have fibro. I remember doing it all by myself once (as I normally get my boyfriend to help) and I felt such an overwhelming sense of achievement. You'd think I'd climbed Everest the way I was acting. Four times in one day? No wonder you are destroyed! It's definitely one of the harder tasks.

Sarah
www.alifelessphysical.wordpress.com
sarahborien
UKFM Newbie

Postby crispy111 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:37 am

Hi I find that the changing of duvet covers the worse thing in the whole house. I do tend to put off changing it. I too have to change in stages and once the sheets are changed I tend to end up crawling into bed for a well deserved rest.
crispy111
UKFM Newbie

Postby Saffi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:02 am

Eurgh, I hate this so much it is unbelievably exhausting, I often do my own bed (double) and my partners at his house (double) because he works so hard he doesn't ever have time. It's the stripping the bed as well, and hanging it all to dry AND then when you're already knackered, the putting it on the bed. So many times I have just slept on the bed without sheets because it got to the end of the day and I couldn't get the strength up to put the sheets on. Got to do them today actually :(
the internet is a lot like Ancient Egypt... people writing on walls and worshipping cats
Saffi
UKFM Member

Postby wendielou » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:51 am

This made me smile :-D as I thought I was the only one who struggles to do this. I have probably done it twice in about 3 years and it's an absolute killer...... Always makes me feel ridiculous when I ask for help but hey ho. Hope everyone is managing to stay reasonably comfortable in this heat. I have a fan in every room and am still sticky yuk :-o xx
wendielou
UKFM Newbie

Postby Gilly52 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Yes!! I can agree with you all, changing sheets etc is exhausting, I use a top sheet so that gets me out of changing the king size duvet cover every time, and very often when that needs doing, my husband does it for me, I am lucky that he does not complain, but it does not take the guilt away that's he's at work, I'm at home and feel I should pace myself more to get the harder jobs done on a better day, but sometimes not knowing when a "better day" is going to come along it makes planning difficult.

Had a shower, washed my hair this morning, not going to do a lot today, as it's my son's birthday today, so we have planned to go out with him and his partner this evening for a meal, it will be fairly early as I cannot eat late, just don't sleep then, thankfully they understand. My IBS is playing up, hopefully improve as day goes along.

How is everyone coping with the heat ? nice to see the sun, but this on times is too much, especially as so many of us have problems with sweating on a daily basis.

Drink plenty and try to keep cool everyone 8-) X
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:25 pm

I'm so pleased it's not just me! Sometimes I just feel ridiculously weak but I know 'pushing through' and getting on with it isnt a good idea if I want to be able to move the next day.
I'm struggling in the heat Gilly, I cant regulate my temperature properly since I had fibro. Also when it gets to hot I start to get pains in my chest and it can last for weeks after the heat has cleared up. When it gets to a certain temperature I also feel like I cant expand my chest enough to be able to breathe in properly. It's horrible!

Take care xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby Easylifer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:59 pm

I struggle with sheets, i now ask for help from the boys the big boy of 46, usually ends up in the duvet cover and mucking about and the smaller boy of 13, just takes so long i end up doing it myself anyway, i have to try very hard not to get stressed and just let it happen :roll:
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Postby mags3pets » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 pm

Yes. This is exhausting as is changing the duvet covers. I've got round these two problems.. I bought a two Vango single sleeping bags and zzipped them together to make a double - it is so soft, warm and light. Beauty is I can unzip the bags and wash individually in the washing machine whereas my duvet was too big. I opened all the duvet covers and took the one piece of material doubled it over and put it in my sleeping bag as sheets. Might not suit everyone but it works. Best bit is being able to wash the bags whereas the duvet had to go to the dry cleaners. :-) :-)
mags3pets
UKFM Member

Postby Andyp » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:26 pm

I also find this extremely tiring, my mum often helps me to do this. I usually have to lie down for quite a while after doing this.
Andyp
UKFM Member

Postby mojito » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:30 pm

Seems we all struggle with this. Sat here reading this thinking Mmm day off coming up and I really need to do ours. Will prob end up doing what I normally do, stripping the bed, bunging in machine and getting hubby to remake the bad.
I always do as much as I can but also realising some things are not worth the struggle
mojito
UKFM Newbie

Postby Fibroised » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Have just changed mine before I started reading Forum, so had a little chuckle when I read others have the same problem.
I'm not as bad as I used to be, on the really bad days, I had to actually slip in between the lovely, smooth, cleaning smelling sheets as soon as the bed was made. And, did I sleep lol !!!
I thought it was only me until I read post
Soft hugs to all xxxxx
Fibroised
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia