what are the physical changes to the body with FM

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

what are the physical changes to the body with FM

Postby Easylifer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:23 am

As a massage therapist who works with a lot of disabilities i never thought i would have something wrong with me, i am trying to get to grips and accept the fact that this is happening, to do that i need to start at the beginning.

So what happens to the body when you have FM, i have been doing some research and there is alot of little studies and theories, the one that makes more sense to me was a study in 2011, the study explains why a two minute contraction of the shoulder muscles can increase leg pain in people with FM.
Sustained muscle contractions are known to trigger the release of pain relievers into the spinal cord to reduce feelings of achyness. the opposite happens in FM.
Research team predicted the spinal cord was misinterpreting the messages from contracting muscles an making the pain worse throughout the body in people with FM.

So it is believed to be a central nervous system malfunction that increases pain transmission and perception .

It would be interesting to see what you all think and if im on the right track :-D
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Re: what are the physical changes to the body with FM

Postby Terilassie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:08 am

I think you're on the right track. It makes no sense to be anything else really.
If for example I carry some thing that makes my arms ache, not even something heavy, an hour later my whole body seizes up and the pain is terrible. It would interesting to read the research you read. Do you have a link? I'm constantly trawling the
Internet looking for answers.i would ask if you ever get trembling feeling and then excessive head and face sweats? Last 10-15 mins. Horrible feeling and very embarrassing if you're outside.
Terilassie
UKFM Newbie

Postby Amybeth2 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:36 am

It's good to see things on this site, especially things like this where there is some explanation of what is happening. I have had symptoms of Fibromyalgia for many years, but only recently diagnosed by my G.P. who is fantastic...reluctant to 'label' me! I felt relieved because I thought I was just being soft and that by my age (44) everyone must feel the same, just not say anything! It was a bitter sweet diagnosis as I didn't want to have to live with this and there not be any real pain relief or cure. I was involved as a padestrian in an R.T.A. where I was struck by a drunk on a motorbike...my baby (who fortunately wasn't with me at the time) was 2 weeks old. Among other injuries, my leg was virtually ripped off below the knee and surgeons did all they could to save it over the period of a year, unfortunately It was amputated below the knee after a year and a month as it had chronic infection of the bone. I suffered a marriage of mental torture throughout getting immediately back on my feet, Resulting in an extremely messy and emotional divorce. Therefore there has been lots of trauma and stress in my life, which I am convinced is the cause of my Fybro. I too get terribly achey, no matter what I do! I also get tremours through my arms, making even the smallest of tasks incredibly challenging! I used to love pegging washing out and ironing too :( I also sweat, but not much just in my face, my torso feels hot...usually when I get burning feelings in my arm muscles, this makes me feel really frustrated, and like I want to thrash my arms out (which would be extremely painful to do!) This is the first time I have managed to get onto the forum to write something, after several attempts of forgetting passwords etc! I have so much to share, with people who understand...but I think that's enough for now!! Love to all my fellow sufferers xxx
Amybeth2
UKFM Newbie

Postby scoke » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:54 am

It would make sense - the fact that stress makes us worse too - even the smallest amount and how many people DON'T tense up somewhere - shoulders, neck and jaw being probably the most likely.
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby shadavv » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:02 pm

It makes perfect sense I actually find myself tensing up for no aparant reason :cry:
shadavv
UKFM Newbie

Postby Easylifer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi amybeth2, my goodness you've been through the wringer and spat out the other side haven't you.

I missed the last few steps of my stairs and fell heavily on my ankle, thought i'd broken it, but i hadn't, i also had some emotional stress which i can't really discuss on here at the same time, thats where all my issues started, i haven't been the same since, but im not giving in and im trying to understand whats happening and then fight it head on.

Im the person people go to when they are in pain and its very ironic that i sometimes have to rearrange treatments because im not up to it, not to sure how long i should keep going, i hate letting people down, im also a carer and again thats quite a physical job.

So my main aim is to sort my diet out and exercise, i love exercise and being fit.

thanks Scoke and shadavy, theres so much info out there, its hard to know which one to trust :lol:
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Postby Marky Fibro ME » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:15 pm

Amybeth2, ((hugs for you)).
Great topic here.

I am 51 year old man suffering with Fibromyalgia, M.E. & a spinal condition whereby I suffer regular prolapsed discs and trapped nerves from head to tail.

I appreciate that I am in a minority here, as Fibro seems to be a mainly female selective condition. Although I know of 4 men locally, & only 2 women!

Like many of us, I have read about a great deal of studies and often become excited or saddened by them. The thing is, non of these studies ever seem to be conclusive, or comprehensive enough to be funded further by any medical or research institution. What's more, many of these 'studies' seem to offer contradictory evidence from each other, for the cause of Fibromyalgia. I find this frustrating, & often feel that we are being offered frivolous snippits of hope just to keep us going :(

I have also, again like many with Fibromyalgia, had an incredible amount of stress in my life.
I have had physical pain at the moment of that stress, so intense, that I thought I was going to die. (More than once). I won't bore you with the details, but I was the carer (& victim) of a wife who I loved & idolised, who was overcome by an evil mental illness, & she did her absolute best to destroy everything that was good around her. I have had to fight for my life, fight for my kids & protect them from harm & injustice. I have had to fight for my house & financial ruin. I've been locked up & questioned by the police, accused of things I hadn't done. I have shaken & trembled with fear & desperation, & dismay, & once tried to take my own life, only to stop myself part way through because I worried what would happen to my dogs! I loved my dogs :)

About 9 years ago, i adopted a new relaxed way of life, & I believed I had recovered from all the stress of my past. I was fit & healthy & played much sport, but I gradually found myself less & less able to compete, as my body stiffened up & hurt inexplicably. I had 4 years of bliss, followed by 5 years of deterioration, & now I can't do anything without hurting. :(

Basically, I have endured so much stress in my life, (pre Fibromyalgia) & I know how much stress affects my condition now, that I am inclined to believe that stress could well be a factor in the cause of Fibromyalgia & M.E.

However, I have also had Meningitis (1991), Glandular fever (1995), Swine Flu (2009), & my first ever surgery involving general anaesthetic (2009)(from which I nearly died). And apparently ALL of these conditions have been linked in studies to be a suspected cause of Fibromyalgia or M.E. !! Lmao! I can't win! :p

We all want, or need to know what caused our condition, but the fact of the matter is, we've actually no idea!

Maybe we should all stop chasing the cause, because we may NEVER find out. Perhaps instead, we should channel our energies into living our lives the best we can. One day, in the future, in maybe 10 years time, maybe 20, (but maybe NEVER), some brilliant scientist may discover the one thing that caused us all to be ill & have such miserable lives. Then what? What difference will it actually make for us to know? How old will we be then, if not dead?

We only live once, and God knows how our bodies hurt, but let us not allow this condition to waste any more of our lives than we have to.

There are many beautiful sunsets, & laughing times, & much fun still to be had. Even with the pain!
Let's go! :)
Marky Fibro ME
UKFM Member

Postby Eeyore » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:59 pm

'Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved!' ? ...I thought you might all be interested in this! I'm not sure exactly how much evidence there really is? The article seems rather brief for such a massive claim, but I'm sure we will hear an awful lot more if there is truth in it! http://guardianlv.com/2013/06/fibromyal ... UcQCrTP.01
Eeyore
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm always keen to read the latest research because I'm hoping that finding the cause will lead to finding a test for it and, most importantly, a cure. I'm fed up with having some of the symptoms treated with drugs that often cause side effects - i really just want a cure, not so much for me - I'm 60 in september, it might not happen in my lifetime, but I've seen my daughter going through many of the early symptoms i had and id like to think that when we can no longer deny she's probably also got it then there will be a cure for her. i don't know if the hereditary factor makes it different from those brought on by accident/stress/whiplash, etc but i feel guilty that she might go on to suffer this frustrating illness. i alolike to understand whats going on in my body - always have found it interesting and hope that perhaps those of us who suffer might be able to come up with some common symptoms that will eventually lead to a breakthrough - if we all talk about everything we suffer then maybe something will start to emerge...
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:17 pm

It's good reading what other people are going through (not that I wish it on anybody) but at least I know I'm not alone or going mad. As far as the tensing up is concerned I try to explain to people that it is as if my body is standing to attention all the time. Naturally they say 'R E L A X'. I've tried loads of relaxation techniques which work very well - until you stop concentrating on relaxing - then I'm back to square one. :-? :-?
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby Easylifer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:24 am

Hi Marky fibro ME, thats a lot to have gone through and still going through im sure, Dogs are a great source of comfort arn't they,my partner was a carer for his wife who had cancer, when she died it was Cassie that got him out of bed in the morning. The dog we have now is like a big teddy bear and gives great cuddles when i cant move of the sofa :-D

Im trying to understand whats going on in me so i can do positive things with my diet, exercise and make sure im supporting my body in dealing with this. Im planning on walking up Snowdon when we go camping this year, so i need to get fitter and stronger, im going to a cross fit gym soon to see if i think that will be suitable, its quite full on and the sort of thing i would have loved to do pre FM, so they will have to be understanding in how my levels will change, but if i can get the six pack i have been dreaming of since i was sixteen i will be very happy :lol:

Hi Eeyore, i read this article and im not sure if it sounds right to me, What do you guys think?? i met another carer today who also suffers and she swears by the forever living products that i used to sell before FM for my eczema , so i think i will check im still signed up with them and give that a go.

Hi Susan, i seem to either be running on adrenaline and bouncing off the walls, or wishing someone would shoot me, i wonder if its like manic depression, when i am bouncing off the walls i feel great and want to take on the world, but then i will crash its been two weeks since i crashed and im just starting to come out of it, which ties in with going to cross fit, so should hopefully get some training in before i crash again :shock:
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Postby Marky Fibro ME » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:39 am

Thanks Easylifer. :)
Coincidentally, my ten & a half stone Golden sable German shepherd was called 'Teddy'. His kennel club name was Teddy Boy Blue. (Because of his blue eyes as a pup).

Walking up Snowden? ?? Six pack??? By golly!!
My six pack has long gone, & I'm glad I walked all over Snowdonia in my youth, cause there is no way I could manage it now! :( Unless I took the train! Ooh.There's an idea ;)
You obviously have a great attitude, & I wish you all the best with your adventurous quests. But remember this; The weather up Snowdon can change dramatically in 1 minute, & at any time of year. So make sure you carry cold & wet clothes, even if you go in summer. :)
Enjoy! :)
Marky Fibro ME
UKFM Member

Postby Easylifer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks Marky, Nick has everything organised, he is carrying everything and my son will have a pack too. We have all equipment for wet, cold, hot and rain, a harness for the dog incase she decides ( couldn't spell that then, dear me) to launch herself off, she is a bit crazy. its great having the option of the train if it all gets to much, but im hoping i will do it. We have also planned that the days after i may be in a bit of a state so they are my rest days.

Nick has also made me a walking stick with a wrist strap, that is brilliant he needs to make a matching one then we are all set.

:-D
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia