Help.!:)

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help.!:)

Postby Tel1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi All

Although I have come on here and answered your questions and you have answered and given advice regarding what I have asked in the past... I have also had this other ( dreadful ) problem and I don't know *how* to cope with it any longer.

I have had Xrays, Blood tests, galore, CT scan, heart tests, radio active dye put it me,, to look at the heart etc... you name it
and I have had it done... terrible really and yet, I *still* get this terrible tightness across my chest going up to my throat, I am
totally convinced I have angina... not that I want it of course, but do ECGs and Treadmill investigations actually tell the doctors enough?
If I didn't have this dreadful sensation all the time, then I wouldn't worry,, but because I get it all the time, there has got to be something not right, that they haven't picked up on.... Of course I don't want anything wrong with me..:)) I mean coping with Fibro is bad enough as we all know...but I think I am going to end up knocking on a mental institutions door to be sectioned if this goes on for much longer:) :yikes: :yikes: I really don't know if it is the Fibro that is really causing all this... or if it is me. If it is just me, then I need serious therapy...but then I say to myself, how can it just be me doing this... it *has* to be something wrong, because underneath all this, I am dying to get on a plane and jet off somewhere... but how can I like this? If any of you know a really GOOD NHS mental consultant that I can see in the South/South East of the UK, then please let me know:)) other than that, I am just going to end up in an A&E again, and this time, I will stay there until I DO get thoroughly checked over:))) the hardest part for me is, I just hate using the doctors and nurses time, but when you are in this constant pain, what else can one do apart from asking people for advice and help.
Thanks all. :cry:
Tel1
UKFM Member

Re: Help.!:)

Postby juliem » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 pm

Has anyone suggested costochondritis. That can be very painful. Also panic attacks can cause these sort of symptoms. If you think there is an issue can you approach your GP and ask for help. You can also ask the GP to refer you for mental health help. Most areas have emergency care. Don't know where in the South East you are but in West Kent they do have quick referrals.

Good luck. Stress can cause such problems and understandably you are now very stressed.
juliem
UKFM Member

Postby Libby Clark » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:17 pm

Have they tried giving you a GTN spray for under your rou to see if this helps?
Rou should read tongue !!!!
My dad has angina and it really makes a difference.
I hate all the weird symptoms and signals that stupid FM gives us, and the way that it is dismissed by others.

Sending you healing thoughts and positive energy xxxx
Libby Clark
UKFM Member

Postby jenfitzy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:21 pm

I have this as well, had angiogram, treadmill and 24 hour tapes, nothing found. The consultant diagnosed syndrome X. It is not life treating, no one really knows why people get it. Doctor told me I was just one of thousands who have this and it is not related to fibro. Hope you can get some reassurance from your doctor soon. :goodluck2:
jenfitzy
UKFM Member

Postby jenfitzy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:23 pm

Sorry can't spell meant life threating, which it is NOT. x
jenfitzy
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks all that have replied thus far... thanks to all:))
I just hope and PRAY it is not angina... they told me at the hospital that is wasn't and after going to A&E 6 times,
it is now on my records which all the previous doctors see, that they put it down to panic disorder!! but in real terms
I am not in a state of panic or anything... I HAVE had panic attacks in the past, but when I get this I can honestly say
that I am not panicking:))) although my throat feels tight.... it is a horrible feeling... some people say it is related
to Fibro...but the thing is... is it?? perhaps I will never know until it is too late!! :yikes: so if you don't see me on here
for a while, you will know that I am gone to the other side :yikes: One thins I did forget to mention was, I do have a
hiatus hernia, and the heart doctors have said that it is this that is causing the problems, but the upper GI surgeon
said hiatus hernias don't give people the symptoms I get... so it is all SO confusing and worrying... but thanks all for your
advice.....god help us all on here eh:) :yikes:
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:16 am

Hi TeI1, I am new here and just wanted to share my thoughts and maybe what you are dealing with could possibly be anxiety? As i have similar discomfort and it is a terrible feeling. Has this been ruled out yet? I also have the hiatus hernia and think it could also be doing this in conjunction, as i find it's never one thing but a combination things. Hiatus hernia plus anxiety?? Cheers!
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:30 am

hi iblinkin

thanks SO much for sharing that with me.... the trouble is ...what IS it ?? If I actually knew one way or the other
I think I could deal with it better...it goes without saying that I don't want it to be anything...but IF it actually is
anxiety then I want to be put somewhere for mental therapy:)) but surely all that pressure pain and discomfort
surely can't just be anxiety...Can you explain to me * exactly * how yours comes on and what it is like as in, how
it feels and how long it lasts...it would be very interesting to know.

Thanks to all the others who replied to me as well....It's good to all be here for each other . :cry:
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi Tel,

Hitas Hernia & Anxiety sufferer here :-)

One of my first fibro symptoms was the feeling of a golf ball down my throat and real bad pain around the front chest wall like you describe above.

The GP at the time thought i had a throat infection and so i was on many different antibiotics and gargling codiene and paracetamol hoping for some relief but nothing!!

As it was many years back now i cannot remember how i found out what was the cause but i do remember suffering severely for many months and having panic attacks with it all. It took over my daily life.

Anyways for me the problem was TMJ & trigger points.

My throat wasnt infected by any virus but the muscles were very tense and tight. I have many trigger points around the neck and chest see here... http://www.tptherapy.com/What-are-Trigger-Points.html

Added to that i have TMJ

So the muscles were very stiff and when they are trigger points the pain radiates around different areas which the linky should explain.

The trigger points on my front chest wall pulled on the muscles around my neck and jaw. Felt like bricks hanging from my neck. This caused the sensation of the golf ball in my throat and chest pains.

The TMJ would make the muscles more tight, like a circle.

Difficault for me to explain by typing and having an awful foggy head :crazy:

I manage to control this now by wearing a mouthguard, having regular trigger point therapy.

You can see your dentist to see if you have TMJ and they will feel your jaw/neck and throat or you can ask for a referal to a physiotherapist for an assessment.

The hitas hernia i found to only cause heartburn/reflux and some chest discomfort, not pain as such more of an ache.

Anxiety will make symptoms worse as when you stress and worry the muscles will tense.

I hope you find some relief soon
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Tel1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi Lisa

Thanks for all of that:)) it all makes sense, but also worrying eh:)) Regarding the hiatus, it's not so much a pain, but more like you said, mine feels like a heaviness and tightness that goes up to my neck/throat.... I was totally convinced it was Angina... but all the tests I have had done, have said, no it isn't. thank god it's not either...:)) so I will just have to pray that it is the same kind of thing you
have... Having been to SO many doctors and consultants and A&E too many times... I trust that if there was anything, that by now they would have found something wrong... not that I want them to find anything wrong... but on the same token, I just kept thinking, what the hell is this?:) I have pushed and pushed through all the hospital networks and although I have already seen 5 heart doctors who *say* that all is well... I am having another consultation on July 2nd and also another CT scan with another heart doctor at the hospital,
so please god all will be ok... and if this pain pressure is that hiatus hernia then I will go ahead and get them to sort it once and for all, but having said that I know that they don't like touching it unless it is necessary... but I want to make 1000% sure it is not my heart
and if it isn't ( which I hope it isn't ) then I will go ahead and let the other surgeon know and then go and have a endoscopy done while they put me to sleep.... dread!! :yikes: Thanks for your reply though:))) :-)
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby Ali170 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi my lovely,

I don't know if this will help, I have suffered with something similar for years, long story short, had pain/tightness in chest , throat and jaw. Eventually had a barium swallow test as food was also getting stuck in my oesophagus, very painful. The test showed there wasn't any blockages (thank God !!) but I did have acid reflux. Now I don't know if this causes the feeling I get, but I find if I drink a large glass of water VERY quickly it goes away !!! Just like that!! When I think of all the meds I've tried and tests I've had!!!

I have also heard of people having oesophageal spasms (maybe that's what causes mine ??)

I apologise if it doesn't work for you, I hope you get the answers you deserve.

Take care x
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby Easylifer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Have you tried myofascial release?, it is a therapy that works on release your fascia. Fascia runs through out your body and covers everything from you organs to your bones, so imagine a spiders web. When there is a injury in the fascia it tightens up and if you now imagine a jumper that you have caught and how that pulls from all directions you can see how it can affect your whole body.

Hands on therapy isn't for everybody especially if your touch sensitive, and working into your chest and abdomen can feel a bit strange but it might be worth a go if you have no joy with everything else x
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi All.... thanks for all your kind brainstorms and experiences.... I have tried all that you have mentioned, even the barium swallow
at the hospital.... I think I need to be carted off somewhere and to be cured:)) I wish:))))
I am going to a hospital consultant next Tuesday and I will tell him about all this, so I will let you know what he says:))
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:31 pm

Have you tried the counselling/talking therapies route Tel?? Just wondering with anxiety being mentioned in some of the replies if it might be something to explore and see how it might be of help to you. It would give you the chance to explore problems with someone who knows how to guide you thru them and help you come up with suitable ways to challenge and calm responses to situations, putting you in a more controlled position.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Easylifer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:00 am

FluppyPuffy wrote:Have you tried the counselling/talking therapies route Tel??

Mindfulness might be worth looking into, my neighbour is a councilor and runs these classes

http://bemindful.co.uk/
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia