the right time?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

the right time?

Postby mummatez » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Ok so I've just started a new job and may have omitted to tell them I have fibro. I really wanted the job and know I'll be good at it and didn't want the fibro to jeopardise me getting it.
So the question is: when do I tell them. I'm thinking after my 3 month probation period, when I've actually been taken on properly.
I feel really bad for not telling them in the beginning so would appreciate your input ladies and gents.
Thank you x
mummatez
UKFM Member

Re: the right time?

Postby hazely » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:03 pm

sorry no advice for you but will be watching this as i am currently self employed and want to go back to being employed so I can earn a decent wage. Interested to know how this goes.
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:36 pm

I don't know - if you manage to get through three months' probation without having any obvious problems then maybe that's the time to do it - I would've blurted it in the interview -eg I can't guarantee I'd be able to deal with..... Because.....
If you do manage to get three months without a fibro problem showing, tell me, what job is it you're doing? I always end up deciding I couldn't do it whatever I look at , there must be something I could do. Good luck and keep us posted!
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:01 pm

I had manage to work most of my life and did not know i had fibro until an accident brought it to the surface and debilitated me so if you feel you can do the job then go for it as there are a lot of people still in the workforce that have it and are able to function. If it becomes a problem (after3 months) them maybe talk with human resources and they may be able to help you and place you on modified duties? Good luck!
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Paula200 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:51 pm

This is a tricky one I told my company 4 years ago when they took over the existing company I had worked for went through lengthy meetings gave permission to contact my Dr ect nothing came if it two years later my line manager decided I had to work 40 hours a week instead of my 20 I explained I was ill again my Dr recommended no change in hours ect he left all back to normal I know have a new line manager who is nice I explained I could not give anymore hours to the job and I needed help my work load has doubled if not tripled no help came my Dr signed me of for a month back to rorke on reduced hours for a month they have been ok they said they had no recollection of my illnesses contacted my Dr again he was not happy went through meetings again added if I could drop a day and would try to make up four of my hours over two days total hours 17 and a half in stead of 19 apparently I work 20 hours and I agreed to work 9.3o yo 5 two days and 9.30 to 2.30 One day I have only been back 3 weeks and feel very defeated by the whole system not sure what would be a good time but keep track of all meetings and what has been said for your sake good luck xxxx
Paula200
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Did you have to fill in a Medical Questionnaire when you applied for the job? If you had to supply details about your health but 'omitted' to tell them about your fibromyalgia, I think that would put you in a very tricky situation. If you have lied to your employer by declaring you don't have any medical complaints, they can use this as grounds for dismissal.

But if you weren't asked any questions about your health, then I don't think it will be a problem - you aren't obliged to tell them anything about your health if they don't explicitly ask about it. If this is the case, I would be inclined not to say anything unless you find you are having difficulty at work due to your fibromyalgia. As long as it isn't affecting your work, your employer doesn't need to know.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby mummatez » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:54 pm

carolad wrote:Did you have to fill in a Medical Questionnaire when you applied for the job? If you had to supply details about your health but 'omitted' to tell them about your fibromyalgia, I think that would put you in a very tricky situation. If you have lied to your employer by declaring you don't have any medical complaints, they can use this as grounds for dismissal.

But if you weren't asked any questions about your health, then I don't think it will be a problem - you aren't obliged to tell them anything about your health if they don't explicitly ask about it. If this is the case, I would be inclined not to say anything unless you find you are having difficulty at work due to your fibromyalgia. As long as it isn't affecting your work, your employer doesn't need to know.

I did full in a questionnaire but omitted to tell them as I felt they would judge me rather than give me a try. I'm pretty lucky in that I do 20 ish hours but they can be spread over 6 days like this week where I'm doing 3 days with only 2 hours a day. And then 14 hours over the remaining 3 days. It works for me as I have time to rest in between calls ( I do outreach support mainly for the elderly). It also helps that I love doing this work and I'm more than qualified.
Mind you when my fibro is bad my wonderful OH jokes that I'm the carer who needs caring for lol.
mummatez
UKFM Member

Postby CareySue » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Never offer any information that isn't asked for by your employer!!! I learned this through experience. If/When you have a flare then maybe tell them. If they ask why you didnt tell them before just say 'you didn't ask'.
CareySue
UKFM Newbie

Postby carolad » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:36 pm

I think if you have lied in a medical questionnaire, that puts you in a very difficult position :( If you are going to tell them, I think you should do it now and not wait until your probation period is over. That way, you are being open and not trying to 'trick' them into keeping you on. They may look more favourably on you if you do it this way, rather than waiting 3 months. Passing your probationary period doesn't actually offer you any protection from dismissal in this case anyway.

The other alternative would be to not tell them at all. But this could be stressful because you would have to hide it from them. So only take this approach if you are reasonably sure that your fibromyalgia won't affect your work, sickness absence etc in the future.

I hope it works out for you as it sounds like you have your ideal job! :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:47 am

It's difficult but I was brought up never to lie.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!"

BUT this is only MY opinion and no one elses. Trying to work back and un-tangle could get rather complex. You are jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Lindilou

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:26 pm

This is a bit of a messy situation.

You have already deceived your employer by choosing to falsif,y your medical information. We can't say you should have or could have done this or that, the deed is done. You can't change that.

It is now up to you to decide if you are going to go and tell your employer that you omitted something on the forms. If you are honest now about things then you may gain the respect that you came forward. If you do not tell them and you fall ill or need to go on some sort of disability leave, it may be affected because you did not report this pre existing condition.

I can't tell you what you should do that is your choice. I would have done things differently from the beginning..

I agree unless your employer is entitled to information and requests it, then there would be no reason to inform them of any illness. However, they did ask and you chose not to divulge the information.

Good luck in whatever way you choose to handle this. It does seem to be a job you enjoy and want to keep.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Easylifer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi ya, im a carer and a massage therapist although im not sure how long i can keep the massage up, i was working when the FM started and it affects the massage work but not the care work, so i don't see why you have to tell them if your capable of working without any impact on the clients :)x
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia