twitchy...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

twitchy...

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:24 pm

hiya

today I've been mostly suffering from a really annoying twitchy index finger in my right hand.. I mean visibly twitchy, I can sit here and watch it move of its own accord. I've had this before but not to the extent I'm having it today. and the worst thing is that it's making my hand very weak - can hardly grip my pen. :(

anybody else have this or know what causes it? (I know it's probably a Fibro thing but you know what I mean)

in fact my whole body feels shaky / trembly today, I don't think this is visible like my finger is, but I just feel.. well, trembly.

is this "just" Fibro? :-?
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: twitchy...

Postby Diane64 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Hey there,
I don't want to say it is just fibro but I do get these every now and again, the inside shakes/tremors are horrible and for any one who hasn't experienced it is very hard to explain how it feels. I get "twitching" to its like my nerves go on over drive, it goes as quick as it arrives though, not painful just a pain!!
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby djclall » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Oh my word!!. The twitching. All day, everyday and all over my body. It's like trapped nerves. The internal shakes are worse i think. So difficult to explain what you mean to someone else as it's not always visible. I know if i have done too much standing or too much walking, my legs are really bad. Especially when i lay down. It's like my legs are having an argument with my brain. My legs want to keep going but my brain is saying no more, please no more. The twitchiness and the constant pulsing and tightness of the muscles actually make me feel sick. My hands are always letting me down. Bad days i have to hold my cup with both hands and i still don't feel like it's secure. Sometimes my fingers go dead stiff and that scares me a lot. The amount of cups, glasses, plates and bowls that i have dropped because of the twitch and/or tightening is unbelievable!!. I mentioned it to my GP and all he said was "It's fibro related". If i am honest i have had enough of going to see my GP as that is all he seems to say. :( .

I try to keep my hands and fingers moving by opening and closing my hands alternately and moving my fingers up and down. Sometimes this works :-) . And other times (more often than not) my hands are too sore to be manipulated in this way. :( .

xxxxxx
djclall
UKFM Member

Postby Amybeth2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:17 pm

I get the twitchyness and the shakes too....it certainly does make a horrible impact on my body and trying to function in every day life! I try to act as 'normal' as I can around family (who think I am just a moaner and complainer!), I have gradually lost all my friends too, mostly because of my health and money shortage. People who don't suffer from Fybro have seriously NO idea what it's like, and true...it is hard to explain to others. I've had a terrible day today...so incredibly tired this week...and I have no control over it, I just literally fall asleep! Which frightens me, as driving my car is my only chance of getting out :( Thankfully it's another day tomorrow! Understanding ((hugs)) to all my fello fybromyalgia sufferers xx
Amybeth2
UKFM Newbie

Postby Xena » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:54 pm

Oh yes I too get interal shakes and also visible muscle twitching. Happens all over my body including my bum :lol: . It's not too bad right now but at times it can be very disconcerting. I take Magnesium which seems to help a little bit.
Xena
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Twitches and spasms are a feature of FM for a good number of us at times. Sometimes they can be visible, at other times tho, it's that weird internal sensation. There can be other causes of these twitches tho, such as meds side effects, so having things checked out is always a good idea rather than assuming it is always FM related.

If you are considering trying something to see if it might help, be it a supplement, or other remedy/treatment, do check with an appropriate professional about potential interactions that could occur with meds, both prescribed and otc, and/or other treatments you may be taking. With some supplements, having too high a level in the body can cause additional problems, so maybe consider having levels checked before adding anything like this to the mix.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby iblinkin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: to twitchy..I myself also experience this condition and have been very frustrated with my GP. I found out that the FMS (fibromyalgia syndrome) actually causes a low form of carpal tunnel syndrome which causes one to constntly drop items. If your are diagnosed with C.T.S do NOT get surgery as it will ruin your hands even further, do check online for yoga for your hands and there is plenty of info on this and it does help but is a daily routine and one of the things i found helped alot was placing a hand shoulder height with palm against the wall and putting pressure gently flattening it against the wall moving ones arm and stretching while moving it. Feels amazing! Constant daily stretching is also very important throughout ones body. This is also part of yoga for your hands and yes i have experienced improvement and it may help also to purchase braces for CTS for when you are sleeping so your hands don't fold over and pinch the nerves in your hands. Please keep in mind that i am sharing this info thru experience and i am not a doctor but a fellow FMS sufferer. One other thing i found that helped me is Magnesium L-Threonate and works wonders for the spasms and believe
it or not it helps with fibro fog but please remember not everything works for all FMS sufferers. I hope this helps someone here and good luck to all!! I will share more info down the road if this is accepted well and helps others. Cheers! And stay strong.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:31 pm

thanks everyone for your replies. it's comforting to know I'm not alone in this (although I wish you all didn't suffer from Fibro. hope you know what I mean)

yes it is difficult as some of you said when we can feel the shakes but no one else can see them. doesn't help with the whole "believing" thing does it.

interesting about the carpal tunnel thing.. kinda makes sense though

well thanks again it really is a help to me just to talk to others who are going through this. I'm new here with lots of questions I want to ask but I shall try not to bombard you with them all at once guinea_pi_1
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby shadavv » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Always twitching sometimes jerking !!!!
I've had carpal tunnel surgery and it was very successful I think it's another thing that works for some and not for others
shadavv
UKFM Newbie

Postby dazzleship » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:53 pm

same finger has been twitching on and off all day today too and some of yesterday. it used to be an occasional thing for me, now it seems like it's happening more often. :( it gets really hard to hold a pen or anything in that hand when it happens. it's worrying me.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:00 pm

dazzleship wrote:same finger has been twitching on and off all day today too and some of yesterday. it used to be an occasional thing for me, now it seems like it's happening more often. :( it gets really hard to hold a pen or anything in that hand when it happens. it's worrying me.

You need to go and have things checked out, if only for your own peace of mind. As previous replies have said, whilst twitches can be a part of FM, there can also be a number of other causes for them, such as meds or additional conditions/problems.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia