Update on my meditation practice

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Update on my meditation practice

Postby migrembe » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:35 am

I have meditated for some 30 years or more, on and off. I began to meditate to prevent my chronic depression from dragging me down into dark holes. After several years of unresolved pain issues and fatigue i was diagnosed with FM 3 years ago. I do not tolerate medication very well and since Christmas i have been on and then off so many different things that either caused instant allergic reactions or they were a few weeks grace before the reactions came anyway. The reactions to the medication was worse than living with the pain. In the end, being a staff nurse, i decided to wean myself off all my pills one at a time to see what would happen. I came to realise that the pain and fatigue was no worse for no pills and no better with them, unless it was very severe, yet i needed something that would let me have control of my body and mind. I firmly believe that FM is more a mind than a body thing, although the body pays the price in pain and fatigue.

So in the New Year with yet more pills being ticked off as no use to me, i decided to get back into meditation. At first i would try and lie still for a few moments and quiet my mind from all it's chatter. I was beginning to think i was losing the battle for my life but recently i began using a comfortable sitting position to meditate in. As i sit i can feel the pain humming through my body and i welcome it, i acknowledge it, but then just let it be. I no longer try to make the muscle or limb relax i just let it be. I can now sit for 20 minutes at a time and i am having some success with the pain and fatigue levels. Although i am also learning to pace myself too. It is all part of being mindful of our bodies within time and space.

I am not saying that this will work for everyone. It takes time and as we know all FM sufferers are chronic busy people too, but if the pills are not working and i don't believe they do, then maybe this will help.

As some will already know i write a blog on FM and life and meditation - http://mywonkydonkeylife.wordpress.com/

I believe that the mind broke the body and if that is the case then the mind can heal the body in time. If it took 11 years from first symptoms to now then it may take me 11 years to get my life back too. Sorry long post, hope it's useful.

:grouphug: Beverley
migrembe
UKFM Member

Re: Update on my meditation practice

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:30 am

I started doing Buddhist meditation a few years ago when I was off work ill with stress. It definitely helps to control yourself in many ways, I'd agree with that. I'd dispute your 'FM in the mind' theory though, I've had the symptoms for years and they followed on from a bout of very bad flu, the stress was the result of working for an utter scumbag, and the 2 are not related. Since I stopped working for said scumbag I've not had the mental health issues. I've never medicated my FM either, and judging by this place, I have a very mild version which I keep under control. Never had a day off work with it. I'd definitely recommend meditation and especially mindfulness for anyone who is in pain or stressed or depressed, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly on that one.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: Update on my meditation practice

Postby denys » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Glad you have found something that works for you, I went down the mindfulness route and although it worked well for some issues I was having it didnt help me at all with the pain side of things, as you have said it isnt going to work for everyone but even if one other person gets some relief from following your example then thats brilliant so thank you for posting :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia