Turmeric

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Turmeric

Postby carolad » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:35 pm

I've been reading up on the health benefits of turmeric - both for animals and humans. There is a suggestion that it may be beneficial for people with fibromyalgia - has anyone tried it?
carolad
UKFM Member

Re: Turmeric

Postby heatherp » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Yes, joined Turmeric User Group on Facebook, first we used on horses and dogs, then on ourselves and must admit have been a lot better since on it, well worth trying for everyone with any aches or pain, making up the paste is the best way but some capsules are ok as well.
heatherp
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:24 pm

heatherp wrote:Yes, joined Turmeric User Group on Facebook, first we used on horses and dogs, then on ourselves and must admit have been a lot better since on it, well worth trying for everyone with any aches or pain, making up the paste is the best way but some capsules are ok as well.

Thank you! Yes, I first heard of it in relation to horses and I was wondering if I should start giving it to my 31 year old mare. But it seems that a lot of people have found it beneficial too. Sounds like it is worth trying :) Where is the best place to get turmeric?
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:34 pm

I've been giving my doglet Turmeric for the past month{ish} after reading and hearing about what it can help with. So far I haven't noticed any changes in how she is, but after talking to the hydrotherapist who swims her, and a little more reading, one of the recommended ones to use is East End Turmeric Powder. It's available in some supermarkets at around £1 for a 100g bag.

It needs to be mixed in with something like coconut oil for the right balance of Omega3 and other good stuff, along with a grinding of black pepper, which works like an activator to kick start the turmeric working.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby chookie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:54 am

It's meant to have an anti - inflammatory effect, so theoretically it should be great for Fibro :-D
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby kuls » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:56 pm

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 5yrs ago and started using turmeric 2yrs ago. Am pretty much ok now and now take it in tablet form from a company called nature's best. In powder form , far as I know from all my research on it, you need to take loads . The tablet form is more concentrated. It worked so well that I told all my sisters and my Mum and they all take it.
kuls
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:33 pm

In it's ground/powder form, it's something like 3 teaspoons per day that we need. As I'm using it for my doglet, the tablet form is too concentrated, and trying to break one down into the amount she needs would just reduce it to powder any way. Plus, using it already ground~up saves causing even more aggravation and hurtys to my hands with trying to break a tablet up.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby carolad » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:36 pm

kuls wrote:I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 5yrs ago and started using turmeric 2yrs ago. Am pretty much ok now and now take it in tablet form from a company called nature's best. In powder form , far as I know from all my research on it, you need to take loads . The tablet form is more concentrated. It worked so well that I told all my sisters and my Mum and they all take it.

Interesting! Do you just take the tablet as it is, or do you take it with oil and black pepper? I've read that you need both of these for your body to absorb the turmeric properly.

I am definitely going to try it - sounds like it has really helped some people :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby tabithakat64 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:49 am

Interesting thread :)
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Postby Deep pain » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:01 pm

This is interesting. I have been suffering with Fibromyalgia now for nearly 3 years and I still can't find anything to take the edge off the pain, right between the shoulder blades in the middle of the back.

Just wondering how long you would need to take these tablets before you start to see any real benefits.

Would be particularly interested to hear from kuls on this

Deep pain
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Deep pain wrote:This is interesting. I have been suffering with Fibromyalgia now for nearly 3 years and I still can't find anything to take the edge off the pain, right between the shoulder blades in the middle of the back.

Just wondering how long you would need to take these tablets before you start to see any real benefits.

Would be particularly interested to hear from kuls on this

From reading up on it, it seems that some people get positive results very quickly (within a week or two), whereas with other people it takes longer. And I suppose like all of these things, there will be some people it doesn't help.

But if you are going to try it, do make sure you take it with oil and black pepper. Otherwise, you will be wasting your money because your body can't absorb the turmeric and it will just pass straight through.

I've been trying to take the powder but haven't been very consistent since I'm not keen on the taste. So I've just ordered some tablets from Healthspan (tablets rather than capsules, because the capsules contain gelatine and I'm a vegetarian :) )

I'll let you know how I get on :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Deep pain » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 pm

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.
Deep pain
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:21 pm

Deep pain wrote:Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

No problem. It's great to have this place to share ideas :) I've been doing some more reading tonight and one Doctor said it could take up to 8 weeks to see a result from taking turmeric. So it is worth sticking with it for a while if you do decide to try it :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Deep pain » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:37 am

I need to wait a further week as I had trigger point injection last Tuesday and they said it could take up to 2 weeks before I see any benefit from them. So far no good :( :( :(

So if no benefit by next Tuesday I will ring my GP and see if they are OK to take with all the other prescribed medication that I am already on.
Deep pain
UKFM Member

Postby Mercia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Is turmeric ok with ibs with fibromyalgia
I know it us not the same for everyone
Mercia
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia