How do you pace yourself?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: How do you pace yourself?

Postby migrembe » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:51 am

As i walk with it stick others know i have a problem just by looking but i have been known to leer at people who are hogging seats in the shopping center when i am desperate to sit down. I rarely if ever shop on a Saturday, all those crowds of people scare me :shock:

I liked the idea of pacing but didn't actually get it until recently. Average day i need to stop after about 5-7 minutes, really bad day i can manage basic needs; bathroom, food out of tin, etc and on a good day i may be able to walk very slowly for 15 mins before i must stop. When there i nowhere to sit i have found myself leaning against street lights or bus shelters. I have never thought of timing my rest periods maybe i will try that one.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:10 am

Unfortunately the dizziness has been bad even when I'm at home, almost every time I stand up, bend down or walk I'm a bit overcome. Some days are worse than others though.

Have you ever checked your bp and heart rate while at rest then on standing?

I suffer with dizziness all the time, especially on standing, my blood pressure is always high as is resting heart rate, but on standing it increases by 30bpm and the longer I stand the higher my heart rate goes but blood pressure lowers.

I'm on beta blockers to try and sort this out but it's early days yet.

X
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi all,

Lisa - yeah I think they think I am crazy as well! I mean I am, but still.... :crazy: :mrgreen: Your dizziness sounds horrible! I get it when I bend/lean down, so I try not to do that. But my BP gets measured often and is *always* in the normal range, it doesn't change at all.

The Fizz - Awww your dog sounds gorgeous, do you have any pics? I love dogs but have never had one :(

I did actually empty all the receipts out the other day so it wasn't too bad! I also tried out the 20 minutes thing, and kept varying my activities as much as I could, which I do think helped. Although I couldn't really stand for that long without getting dizzy. And thankfully work is really quiet at the moment so I was lucky,although I was talking to two people and it got a bit much.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby TeejThorne » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:47 pm

I too have trouble going to the shops and stuff, walking if hard as mu lower back kills me within 15 mins walking. I do alot of up and down at work as im an accountant, having to get up to the printer, toilet, kettle etc im at it all day by the time i get home im all but ready for bed.

When i go out now its for very short periods and only if i have to go feeling more happier at home, although i gues i only have weekends there. Most of the shopping is done by my partner as he is also disabled and can not work ... but if its alot i do online shopping for everything or pop in shops for bread milk etc, i always go when its emtpy like at the end of the day. When i get home tho i have had it ....

Im so sorry to hear all you guys are having problems and I will be trying to pace myself too xx thank you for the reading i have on the forum <3

PS i have also found that a shopping trolley helps with the carrying of stuff i cant carry anything as my wrists and hands are not strong enough just a thought some of you might like to think about :)
TeejThorne
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi Teej,

I have been avoiding food shopping as I know it gets busy, the only time I've done it recently and standing in the queue was horrible. Also waiting in the walk in centre to get my bloods done I started to get really would up, and in fact the nurse asked if I hated needles as I was panicking so much! I was a bit better when I just stayed inside most of the time and avoided any stresses, but since going back to work I feel I'm falling apart and unable to cope with anything :(
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Well at the Pain Clinic today I finally got taught about Pacing - only 6 months later than my original post! ;-)

She basically kept it quite short and just said that I should change what I'm doing every 20 minutes (as was said earlier), vary my activities and not try to 'finish' things if I feel unable to.

Tbh I found what she told me today a bit basic, I was already doing those things out of necessity because I cant finish things or do them in one go. But it felt a bit like a basic lesson rather than the more in-depth info in FP's brilliant post.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:35 pm

Pacing would be great, but I am either flat out...or out flat!!!

Because I end up in bed so much, I have to squeeze in everything when I am up. My 25 year old daughter, who I am carer for, has Aspergers, PTSD (since her sister died), PDD, and Schiziod tendencies and is having a home visit from the Psychosis team..so when well my plate is full, because shopping, cleaning, laundry, mowing, weeding, mopping, sweeping, and the list goes on is down to me.

Problem is, I can no longer do half of this...cooking is the worst. My fire alarm is now my timer :) It reminds me something is cooking, and I forgot yet again, to take it off the top, or out of the oven!!! :yikes:

Anyway, if someone has a magic wand and can teach me what I am doing wrong, but can still get it all done..please help... :pull-hair:

:dogrun1:
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:09 am

Zia, I remembered putting info on a while back about pacing when someone was looking for more of an understanding about it. I came across info that really helped me, so I shared it. I looked it up again from the search and here is acopy of the info below for you.
Re: Slowing myself down - pacing

Postby Gracious » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:59 am
I found pacing to be a real issue for me. I learned about it on a 8 week Breathworks Course, which is similar to the Pain Management Course, where you do activity sheets and calculate out your baselines. I logically understood it, but was resistant to it as it felt like enforced boredom and restriction from being able to live my life the way I wanted to, which would be Fibro free. I was angry and frustrated by my FMS and the limitations it was imposing on me. It wasn't till I came across a site that went into more detail about pacing and really explained the impact of not doing it and the knock on effects, that I realised I was actually making myself feel worse and more distressed and ill, because I wasnt pacing.

The thing is you have the choice to pace and I agree its easier to do this when just working with yourself, when you add family, friends, work etc, its must harder, sometimes you have to accept your going to trigger a post excertional malaise, but it is also a choice how you choose to feel about it.

Below is the link to the site I found helped me come to terms with my resistance to pacing and opened up my choices to how I wished to live with FMS (I really like the Videos, like little miniture leasons):

http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/library/to ... and+Pacing
http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/video

Areas covered:

Part 3: Pacing
Pacing Defined
Post-Exertional Malaise
Push / Crash Cycle

Limits
Four Images for Limits
Rating Your CFS/FM
Defining Limits in Detail

Devices
Heart Rate Monitors
Pedometers
More Devices & Gadgets

Strategies
Scheduled Rests
Pacing Activity, Part 1
Pacing Activity, Part 2
Habit Change
The 3 R's: Rules, Routines & Reminders
Mental Adjustments
Achieving Consistency
Assertiveness

Special Events
Introduction
Strategies

Relapses
Minimizing Setbacks
Identifying Triggers
Preventing Flares
Success Story: Houseguests
Success Story: Prevention

Hope this is of some Help
With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:36 am

Gracious - Thank you for the links. There are lots of things on there and it will take me a while to work through them all.

It's talking a lot about CFS and not everyone with FMS have CFS as well but many of us are chronically fatigued because our minds/brains do not work, whereas CFS is normally caused by an infection/virus.

However i have read a little bit of the link before my brain started wandering elsewhere and began to have to re-read it -
'Managing Your Energy Envelope'

Physical - i do something called 5+5+5 when it comes to cleaning or even cooking. I use a timer and work for 5 minutes, then rest for 5 minutes, etc. I wrote about it on my blog, let me know if you want to read it and cannot find it. Then normally i am done for the day, but sometimes i can repeat the process later on in the day if i do it early enough.

Mental Activity - about an hour, but i need to swap between activities

Social - one to one on a good day 2-3 hours, busy place can be an instant negative reaction and i can't cope.

Physical Sensitivities - large supermarkets are the worse, especially when they are busy. I find that my anxiety and panic levels are rising that stopping in front of a shelf and taking some deep breaths until i feel able to carry on helps. It's all the light, noise, people, shifting colours - people walking - too may things to look at my brain can't cope.

Hope that is useful, Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Wow thanks Garcious! I'll take a look at that in more detail because I know I just do too much and I also get pressure to do too much.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia