I'm going slightly mad...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I'm going slightly mad...

Postby dazzleship » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:51 pm

... due to itching. anyone else get this? it's like my entire body is one big itch right now but scratching doesn't help (not to mention it hurts).

is this yet another Fibro thing?

I'm feeling pretty rotten due to a cold/flu just now so don't know if that's making things worse. but I just can't stop itching :evil:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: I'm going slightly mad...

Postby helenfelen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi hun, Have you changed meds lately or taken a higher dose of your usual pain relief? I get really bad all over itching whenever I take a morphine based med - so pretty much all of them! lol! Codeine especially makes me itch like crazy - but I quite often itch anyway! :roll:
if it doesn't settle get it checked out as it can also be a sign of liver problems- I have to have liver function test every 6mths because of the itching! good luck :fingerscrossed: Hope it eases soon for you and your cold & flare are over too!
:blowkiss:
helenfelen
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:20 pm

I get phases of itchiness and it's usually around one part of my body - but both sides! - itchy nipples is the worst, itchy hands, instep, and ankles are the most common ones. Think it is part of fibro but not sure - certainly seem to be a good few people who have some sort of itching on here. I don't take any meds and it doesn't correspond with any one thing I've eaten
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Itchiness can be a part of FM for some of us, along with skin being sensitive in other ways too. As has already been said, some meds can cause it, along with changing products, such as washing/laundry powder/liquid, toiletries. An allergy, or other underlying condition could also cause it. Have you had any changes made to your meds very recently, or bought a different washing or toiletry product???

Rubbing something like Aloe Vera gel into affected areas can help ease things, or if there is heat involved, something like a cooling aftersun lotion could be worth trying.

If it shows no sign of calming down, or you think things are becoming worse, either talk to your friendly, neighbourhood pharmacist who may be able to suggest something to help calm things down, or go and see your GP about it.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 pm

I thought this was just me! Over the last 2 weeks or so I've been getting seriously itchy inner elbows!! It's driving me mad :crazy:

At least we know it's not just us... :mrgreen:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby LizzyMac » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:25 pm

I stopped taking amitriptyline because I started feeling a little insane with the itching and twitching. I felt like I was losing my mind, and on top of everything else, that's a terrible feeling!
LizzyMac
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:44 pm

I could have sworn I'd already replied but guess I didn't click the submit button :roll:

anyway thanks for all your replies. I'm not on any regular meds so that can't be it. dunno about washing powder - hubby does the washing :oops: so I shall need to ask him.

a bit worrying about the liver thing - sorry you're having to go through tests for that, can't be nice at all.

seems like this affects quite a few of us though :crazy:

right now the itching has settled mainly in my hands, and its a strange sort of itch, more like a burning itch if that makes sense. not like a "normal" itch if there is such a thing.

I have an appointment with new GP next week so I'll ask him/her if it oesn't settle down by then.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Ooh yes Lizzy I got twitching too! My side effects are a very *very* dry mouth, constipation (sorry :oops: ), itchiness, a sort of 'mania' in the afternoons, and the hangover effect in the morning.

Dazzle I often get it on my hands/wrists too, it seems to be in very specific areas rather than all over, and I have put water on there before to stop it so maybe it's similar to what you're getting? If you're seeing the GP it wouldn't hurt to ask, I guess if you have fibro you're then more liable to get other things too.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby iblinkin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi dazzleship,I get this all the time itchy skin or skin hurts. Now about your cold/flu thing.. i believe i can help you with that as i had dealt with flu, Pneumonia & Bronchitis and or both at once and got tested for vitamin D levels and they were way down, then started taking liquid vitamin D drops as the pill form has only a 30% absorption rate (not good) and hardly ever get a cold anymore. I just wanted to share this with you and wish you good luck and gentle hugs.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby MrsP77 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:09 pm

I have been told that itching is another symptom of fibro. The pain management team I used to go to asked about it, and she said that it is usually quite intense around the groin area, which is where I get a lot of mine. :-|
MrsP77
UKFM Member

Postby HazelB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:37 pm

I get terrible itching around my ankles especially... Said to GP and she noticed my skin was very dry... And she was right, itching stays away so long as I remember to moisturise every night. Xxx

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:44 am

looks like we're all itchy then :shock:

interesting comment about vitamin d thanks for that. today strangely my cold/flu seems to have dissipated somewhat (guess it was just a "minor" cold - like anything's minor with fibro though :-D ).

I noticed the difference as soon as I woke up this morning - apart from my usual morning shakes I felt markedly better than yesterday. hope it stays that way.

had a strange sensation today though. itching seems to have gone too but this morning on way to work I kept thinking there was a water on my thumb. felt exactly like a drop of water / wet patch on my skin. but every time I looked, nothing there. skin completely dry. :shock:

it caught me out about three times before I finally gave up looking at it :mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:02 am

Have u had any blood test, liver probs can make u itch ,and low vit levels ,
My mum suffers with it to u can't see anything but she could rip her back off some days. Take some antihistamine that will really help.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Beth1012 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Hello :wave:

I think itching is quite common amongst fibro folk! I call it my "spider skin" cos it feels like something's crawling all over!

I haven't associated it with any specific meds..................I find anti histamines, (I take Clarityn) makes a big big difference. That or sticking itchy part in freezing cold water for a while to numb it into submission (ice packs for larger body parts!?)!

Don't panic you're not really going bonkers! (I even get itching inner ears!!)

Love & light

fairy_dust

"Most Days I'm Only As Strong As The Coffee I Drink and The Hairspray I Use!!?" :)
Beth1012
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Hiya,
I get this to and it drives me absolutely crackers. My feet are the worst offenders but I can get it just about anywhere. I've found skin complaints quite common since the fibro. I only have to rub my skin slightly with my hand and it hurts and goes red. Thought it was just me!

Take care xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia