Electric Shock pains

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Electric Shock pains

Postby charlie9 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi,

Someone posted about electric shock through her body followed by a flare, I get this too. two nights ago this happened, bot upright in bed like I'd been shot. Woke up like I couldn't move.

This post however is about having that sort of electric shock feeling on touching things, I've noticed it a little more recently. Today I went to the gym (i'm on a programme to try help me get active while managing fibro, its called active choices not every trust has it but look it up I think it'll be worth it they're so understanding without you saying a word!)

Anyway today did a little bit of low intensity work, then had a good soak in the bath. But now i've got consistent electric shock type pain down my arms and through my fingers like I've touched an electric socket when I touch something. Is this a fibro thing? Just a simple nerve thing brought on by the exercise (eg muscle pushed on a nerve) or am I looking at getting checked out for MS? Freaking out a little bit! Any help or advice welcome! Dr's seem so useless, your experience is worth so much.

Lots of gentle hugs :-) Love Charlotte x x x
The love from my dog helps me everyday. How can you not smile with a great dane charging at you with a wagging tail every day! x
charlie9
UKFM Member

Re: Electric Shock pains

Postby krysta » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:36 pm

I've had fibro for over 10 years. I have never experienced or heard of anything like that. Perhaps you should ask your go. Good luck x
krysta
UKFM Member

Postby major64 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:51 pm

I get that now and again but one time had it for most of day. I described it as a mixture like pins and needles, someone walking over grave and a boing shudder. Some times in feet and hands but at worst waves down whole body again and again. I have gabapentin for R.L.S and took some which did help eventually.
major64
UKFM Member

Postby Marky Fibro ME » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:05 am

I get that daily. My arms or legs or fingers often fasciculate. Sometimes my whole body spasms for no apparent reason. I am an electrician and have had many real electric shocks in my time, & these spasms are 'similar' but no where near as powerful. I believe they are random nerve signals that make the body react as though it had had an electric shock. I am diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & M.E. So maybe you should look into the possibility that you may have M.E. too.
Best wishes :)
Marky Fibro ME
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:49 am

Hi charlie9, yes i get this and sometimes extremely severe to the point of freaking my wife out literally! We were on the highway and i received a continuous shock in the middle toe left foot and caused me to grip the steering wheel and scream out rather loudly, ok real loud and it's horrible and yes i do get smaller shocks thru my arms. You may be agravating you arms to the point where they could be stressed?? Very important to listen to your body and pace yourself. Maybe the workout is too hard for you right now? Good luck and gentle hugs
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby charlie9 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Hello all!

Thank you for your replies, interesting some of you get it too. I've often had pins and needles but this felt like a little shock.

That driving story made me laugh, it's not funny really but when it happens there's nothing you can do and your other half just doesn't have a clue whats going on! It's not there today, I get quite a lot of discomfort in that shoulder and I think the gym caused something to push a nerve. My fitness instructor has laid out a plan, he said to see how I feel as we might not know how my body will react. So it's a low level intensity programme and keep an eye on it making changes where needed. I'm hopeful I might be able to strike a balance with their support. If any one lives in Bristol honestly it might be a good idea to see if you can get referred to active choices. It's not free and I've ended up paying for a membership! The sessions individually are £3 per session and you get 12 sessions. I was so impressed by the trainer they do their research and was far more understanding than most GPs or family and friends. I didn't need to say a word he was saying " there are things I'm going to want you to avoid, you're going to experience a lot more pain than the average person so we'll need to tailor it to you and watch your pain" I know some other areas do similar programmes. Any thing to help keep healthy and manage the fibro monster!

Gentle hugs x
The love from my dog helps me everyday. How can you not smile with a great dane charging at you with a wagging tail every day! x
charlie9
UKFM Member

Postby Erica23 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:16 pm

I often get electric-like pulses going through my head;then light flashes---like light bulbs exploding;this happens especially when I shut my eyes to sleep.My arms and whole body then feels quite strange and I feel like I'm vibrating or pulsating(best way I can think of to describe this odd feeling)..I then feel weak and quite shaky and twitch,to the point where I wonder if I have something' neurological' going on.This can be quite a scary feeling but over time this does not seem to get any worse.This feeling also seem to be triggered during times when I feel tired,lack of sleep or stressed.I've had a blood test to hopefully eliminate anything neurological and still awaiting results...fingers crossed!In a way it puts my mind a little bit at ease reading that some people with this condition are experiencing similar feelings.Has anyone else experienced something similar to my symptoms?I would very much appreciate any feedback.
Erica23
UKFM Newbie

Postby suzieorangecat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:29 pm

:shock: Hi to all my fellow fibros. On the subject of electric shock/vibrations/pins and needles. I do get all of these symptoms quite randomly but not usually together. I have had this problem for many years now and have a whole catalogue of different symptoms, as each one has come along I have added it to the list and because it appears to be non life threatening I have attributed it to Fibro. It has helped a lot being in touch with you all and hearing that my symptoms are the same as those of others. The most recent addition has been what I call the jumpy body syndrome. This has been happening every night for the past week as I lie down to sleep. Its like my body gets charged up and to release the tension I shudder, kick out and jerk around all over. The only thing I have found to relieve it is to get up go and get a milky drink and sit for a few moments before trying again.
You could always try it, it won't hurt and maybe it will help.
Here's wishing you all the best and stay cool. 8-)
suzieorangecat
UKFM Newbie

Postby iblinkin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:15 pm

@suzieorangecat, I believe what you are describing is restless leg syndrome.. try eating a banana in the evening before bed and maybe look into getting a sleep test done to determine whether this is happening while you are sleeping and they can make recomendations to help you make improvements. Cheers and gentle hugs to all.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:51 am

I've had electric shocks in my spine. They happen quite randomly but not often either. They're very quick and very sharp. It doesnt matter whether I'm sitting, bending or standing. I've had a back mri for various things and they've come back clear. I think perhaps its a weakness in my back. I've been doing exercises to help strengthen my core as without good core strength you will get back problems x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby charlie9 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:33 pm

Hello,

Restless leg or even body syndrome! Yep I get that one. One time I was driving and my whole body felt so jumpy but I was driving and by the end of the journey I was so agitated I was screaming and shouting at anything I was just so desperate to get home! Not at anyone I might add! And this is not normal for me, I don't usually get road rage!

Going to bed jumpy legs are rubbish. It's all bloody rubbish isn't it! I'm hoping to strengthen my core too. I may make a list as you've said of all the symptoms I get, might make it a bit clearer to break down and realise what I should be more worried about.

My electric shocks have stopped at the moment. I think the gym causing inflammation must have pushed on nerves.

Today is not a good day. Fibro is manageable but does anyone go through the stages of acceptance again? As in I thought I had managed to accept it, take positive steps etc. Then right now I am back in the anger, bereavement stages. And totally overwhelmed by all I need to do as well as fight the monster inside me. Ahh!

I hope today you all are free from electric shocks, pins and needles, burning and jumpy legs! xxx
charlie9
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi Charlie, have you been tested for sleep apnea? I got tested and they found that i stopped breathing for about a minute at a time or more even! Then they gave me a apnea machine (sold) and it stopped my restless leg nonsense as long as i use it and my wife said i didn't even move the whole night. Cheers.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby charlie9 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Wow no I have not been tested. I just thought it was part of the fibro, sleeping light, waking through the night etc. I doubt my local GPs would test me to be honest. Last time I said I hadn't barely slept she offered me advice on making my room more relaxing. xx
charlie9
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:31 am

I've been getting the strangest sensation in the back of my shoulders in the past few weeks. the first time it happened my immediate thought was "I didn't know I had my TENS machine on". I wasn't using it at the time, but that is exactly what it felt like, like I was using my TENS machine on that area of my shoulder.

hopefully anyone else on here who uses or have used a TENS machine will understand the sensation I'm trying to convey.

I describe it to my husband as a "buzzing" feeling.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:08 pm

dazzleship wrote:hopefully anyone else on here who uses or have used a TENS machine will understand the sensation I'm trying to convey.

I describe it to my husband as a "buzzing" feeling.

I use Mr TENsy rather a lot, so know the sort of sensation you're meaning, and I've described it as a buzzing feeling as well. I also have the delights of the electric shock sensation at times, as no doubt do a good number of us :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I tend to try and use a bit of mindfullness~type thinking when this hits as nothing I take even dampens it a little. I know that it's there and what it is doing, but rather than focussing on it, I try to put it somewhere out of "view" and turn my focus onto something else. It doesn't really help with the pain levels experienced, but having my focus on something else, usually something nice, seems to help time pass, and when I next notice something, it tends to be when things are starting to settle back down.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia