Severe knee and hand pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Severe knee and hand pain

Postby E-Bunny » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:46 am

Hi,

I am having a very bad day. Can Fibro cause pain so severe in my knee joints ? It is so bad that i am struggling to move them or walk without searing pain... it is unbearable :cry:

I have noticed that i am also getting symptoms of carpel tunnel syndrome in both hands ( not good as i work on a pc :evil: ), can Fibro cause carpel tunnel syndrome ? or is this just the Fibro mimicking the symptoms ? CTS is the last thing i need, as it may cost me my job.

Plz help
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Re: Severe knee and hand pain

Postby tich » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 am

Hi i have both those symptoms and are fbro. Some days i just can't move my fingers or wrists so glad i have a kindle so don't have to type just have to slide my finger across the key board. I have lost my job and don't have much chance of getting another one. I'm waiting on getting my pip interview just hope it gose ok. But at the end of the pain their is always someone else of just wish they could stop the pain. You take care take things easy small hug coming your way.
tich
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:03 am

E-Bunny i know how your feeling, i have 24/7 pains in both hands and i have pains in right knee for so long then switches to left, i take a cocktail of pain relief. Am lucky if i get 4 hours sleep a night due to hand pains.

It is Fibro i have been diagnosed with and as i know joints swell with arthritis in hands which they do not for me, so is Fibro causing my problems.

I hope that you can find something to help as is becoming harder for me but i will fight
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby michmc62 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:48 am

i have severe pain in my hands and wrist ,i have had carpul tunnel operations on both hands in 1990 ,i have since been back to have more nerve conduction tests last year because of the pain , believing i had carpul tunnel again ,test come back normal was told its my fibro ,today woke up with severe pains in my feet and legs shooting pains ,anyone else get this before i ask the doc and be told fibro again , :(
michmc62
UKFM Newbie

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 am

I've been getting bad ankle pain and wrist and finger pain.

My feet do swell but my hands don't...

My partner had a bout of sciatica last week and I had to do some driving, the next day my hands flared so I put it down to just using my hands in a different way.

It's silly though as driving for prob an hour tops in total should not give pains like this, not when years ago I could drive for hours and not feel anything.

I've decided that fibro can cause anything and everything!
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby morette5 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:08 am

Yes me too, i have exactly the symptoms you describe. The fibro has stopped me doing the job i did for 5 years.
I can't even sit in the same position very long. Knees and wrists hurt in a way you cannot get relief from ever.
My elbows are really painful too.
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:32 am

As FM can mimic/present itself as other problems and conditions, it is possible that the CTS~like symptoms you are experiencing may be due to FM. I can't recall anything being said on here before wrt to FM causing CTS, but there are a number of members who have had/do have CTS, which would suggest more of an associated/co~morbid link between them.

It is also possible for pain to be experienced, like you have described, in and around the knee joints. Generally it tends to be the ligaments and tendons around the knee being poked and twanged by FM, but giving the feeling/sensation of sometimes being right in the core of the joint itself.

As with a lot of the things we experience, FM may be the root cause of it. However, this doesn't mean that there isn't something else at work under the cover of FM, so it might be worth having things checked out, if only for your own peace of mind.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Ginny Hellman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:54 am

I have been suffering with knee pain and have had to use crutches for the past ten months. I have had an MRI done on my right knee and it came back as normal so my dr concluded that it is Fibro. I also have awful pain in my hands especially in the mornings. I had tests done and nothing wrong with them! So this has to be Fibro too. However don't just assume that your pain is Fibro it could be something else so ask your GP to refer you for tests. Good luck I hope you get some answers and some relief.
Ginny Hellman
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:39 pm

E-Bunny wrote:Hi,

I am having a very bad day. Can Fibro cause pain so severe in my knee joints ? It is so bad that i am struggling to move them or walk without searing pain... it is unbearable :cry:

I have noticed that i am also getting symptoms of carpel tunnel syndrome in both hands ( not good as i work on a pc :evil: ), can Fibro cause carpel tunnel syndrome ? or is this just the Fibro mimicking the symptoms ? CTS is the last thing i need, as it may cost me my job.

Plz help

I have these pains and I also have arthritis. Do any of your joints swell up?
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:42 pm

..:: lisa ::.. wrote:I've been getting bad ankle pain and wrist and finger pain.

My partner had a bout of sciatica last week and I had to do some driving, the next day my hands flared so I put it down to just using my hands in a different way.

It's silly though as driving for prob an hour tops in total should not give pains like this, not when years ago I could drive for hours and not feel anything.

Hi hun x You might want to be checked for arthritis of your feet swell. I am going through an arthritis flare at the moment, but I wasn't sure which it was, fibro or arthritis causing my feet to balloon. I spoke to my rheumy nurse who confirmed that its the arthritis causing the swelling not the fibro x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:14 pm

I have had both hands operated on for Carpul tunnel. Fibromyalgia does not cause carpet tunnel, even though a lot of people with fibro get it so do people without.

I get extremely bad pain in my knees. I am brought to tears. I had xrays done and osteoarthritis was confirmed.

Try some. "Arnica gel" on your knees. It really does help with the pain. I get pain in my hands, hips and lower back and use the gel there also. You can get it at the pharmacy, or a health food store.

I hope you get some relief soon.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby libbiek30 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi I also get pain in my knees, legs, hips ans hands. My right thumb is really bad I can hardly use it one doc said I had damage d a ligament then another said it was fibro! I have never had any x rays since I bin diagnosed 8 years ago. I put ice pac on as well as pain killers I find it helps a bit. Hope u get it sorted :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:14 pm

Theresa34 wrote:
..:: lisa ::.. wrote:I've been getting bad ankle pain and wrist and finger pain.

Hi hun x You might want to be checked for arthritis of your feet swell. I am going through an arthritis flare at the moment, but I wasn't sure which it was, fibro or arthritis causing my feet to balloon. I spoke to my rheumy nurse who confirmed that its the arthritis causing the swelling not the fibro x

Hi, I was checked for inflammatory something or other a couple of months ago as I had complained about walking and feet and ankles swelling but it came back negative, my dad has osteo and rheumatoid arthritis but he also had negative tests until he saw a rheumatologist.....

Yes ice packs are good, as a cold hater I'm really reluctant to get cold haha but yesterday I was having an allergic reaction and used ice packs to cool down, I was surprised to see they did actually reduce the joint pain too
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby Tally1068 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:37 pm

I have osteoarthritis to add to my growing ailments :-D I think we may be a walking diagnostic tool for doctors! I find my joints swell when I have been over using them.

I have no idea if Carpel Tunnel Syndrome can be an effect, but I did want to mention the ointment that eases things for me. I cant get on with any pain relieving gel - it burns and is worse than before. It's celedrin and is made from natural ingredients.

Of course it may be useless for other people but it certainly works in swelling and pain relief for me. More about it here:

http://www.celadrininfo.com/faq/faq.html
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:24 pm

Lisa I think your inflammatory markers would be up, if you were going through a flare up. Mine have come back negative too, despite obvious swelling but at the time, my toes were going down. They were the typical sausage shape you get with psoriatic arthritis. I managed to take photos when it happened. Perhaps do this for your records too x
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia