High strength vitamin B and D

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

High strength vitamin B and D

Postby carolad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:52 am

I've been reading up about vitamin supplements that might help with fibro. I have been taking a multivitamin supplement for a few years so thought I was getting everything I needed. But I've been reading that the RDA for B12 may be too low and people may benefit from having much higher levels. And the same for vitamin D - it seems if you are deficient in vitamin D, you need a higher level than the RDA, at least in the short term, to bring your levels up.

Trying not to get too excited that I've found a 'cure' for my symptoms but I've ordered high strength vitamin B and D from Healthspan and am looking forward to trying them. Anyone else had good results from vitamin supplements?
carolad
UKFM Member

Re: High strength vitamin B and D

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am

Cant you get the vitamins prescribed to you through the dr? That way you will know how much you need and also if you're deficient. I have vitamin D on repeat at my surgery x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:31 am

Theresa34 wrote:Cant you get the vitamins prescribed to you through the dr? That way you will know how much you need and also if you're deficient. I have vitamin D on repeat at my surgery x

I probably could Theresa...but I'm just fed up with doctors! I am trying to do what I can to help myself now :) It is safe to take more than the RDA of B12 but I know I have to be more careful with vitamin D - taking too much can create problems so I'll take the high strength for a short period only.

Do you find taking the Vitamin D supplement helps you Theresa?
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:54 am

i get from my GP vitamin d3 prescribed been on them a good 2 years seem to work
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:19 am

I've been taking vitamin B and D in small but higher than recommended quantities since last February (along with various other things including an A-Z multivitamin/mineral, co-enzyme Q10, glucosamine, and Vit C+Zinc, and have definitely noticed a difference in my general wellbeing and energy levels. I take these 5 days a week. I dropped to taking them very erratically for a couple of months while we were moving house and noticed a dip - although to be fair I was stressed off my box at the time as well.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby fatalrazkaz » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:25 am

I've been on Adcal D3 for two and a half years because my blood test showed I was deficient. It has made no difference to my Fibro symptoms whatsoever. Not sure how it could, as the deficiency is usually caused by not enough sunlight rather than having Fibro, the Fibro link being simply that people with Fibro tend not to go outside as much as people who don't have Fibro. If someone with Fibro went and sat in their garden every day for x amount of time they wouldn't have a vit D deficiency. Hope that makes sense. You need to have a blood test to check if you are deficient. A lot of people don't realise that you can have an overdose of some vitamins and minerals.
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby Lisa_mulholland » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:27 am

I'm on high strength vitimans D,B6,frolic acid,iron etc as I have a deficiency
But have to say I haven't noticed a change in how I'm feeling I've been on these for almost a year now but my levels won't come up. My body doesn't seem to absorb them.
I know you think it's better trying it yourself but you should speak to you doctor just to be on the safe side xx
Lisa_mulholland
UKFM Newbie

Postby charlotteerika » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:35 am

As stated already taking a variety of vitamins and minerals is important as it can be considered that people with Fibro have weakened immune systems and are affected by stress. It goes hand in hand. It has also been considered that people with Fibro have weakened stomach absorption, thus people with Fibro cannot get all their vitamins and minerals from the food they eat.
charlotteerika
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:38 am

Fatalrazkaz - you are right the best way for anyone to get enough vit D is to sit in the sun and fms sufferers are low in it because we often spend too much time in doors.

FMS is not caused by low vitamin anything and too much Vitamin D can destroy your liver. As for stomach absorption - if those with FM have low stomach absorption then we would be malnourished and wasting away and very slim, but i do like the word 'considered' Charlotteerika.

The body cannot use a stand alone dose of a vitamin as they often need other vitamins and minerals for the body to absorb and make use of them. Simply put - http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellnes ... tamins.htm
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-m ... min-D.aspx

If you think you may be deficient you should see your GP and be checked out before you start taking anything and then if you destroy your liver you can at least sue the Dr concerned or the vitamins makers :crazy:

If you really must take something, try a basic multivitamin and mineral supplement and take it for at least 6 months and stop wasting your money :crazy:

There is no cure for FM and the fact that there are so many pills and potions means they probably don't have a viable treatment either.

So who is going to sit in the sun today? Apparently you only need 10 mins 3 times a week and Vitamin D is stored in the body for up to 8 weeks.

Beverley
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:17 pm

I was diagnosed with low vitamin D. Doctor put me on 20,000 IU per week for 6 weeks. I did my own reasearch and found out this wasn't a lot so I have continued to buy my own to take weekly. My level has now come back up to normal. I also take a B-complex tablet called "B-active" that I got in tesco.

Low vitamin D is quite common because the sun isn't strong enough in this country, so we can only make limited amounts of vitamin D at certain times of the year and only if our skin is directly exposed to sunlight (no sun cream). Low vitamin D can cause similar symptoms to fibro - fatigue, muscular and bone aches and pains. Taking vitamin D might help reduce those symptoms in some people.

Obviously it is best to speak to your GP about it but you can order your own vitamin D test online for £35 http://www.vitamindtest.org.uk/.

Yes you can overdose on vitamin D but you really have to take stupidly high doses for a long time. The vitamin d council recommend an adult take 5000 IU per day with a maximum intake of 10,000 IU daily. Most supplements sold in shops have 1000IU in them at best, but you can buy high strength ones online and just take 1 per week or whatever. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/#

I take weekly vitamin D and a vitamin B tablet. I think they have helped me with energy levels.

I think it is up to us to research and see what works (within safety reasons obviously), because doctors have nothing to offer apart from pain pills and antidepressants which don't work. :( Good diet with proper vitamins and exercise can help some people to cope.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:30 pm

MPSGuy wrote:I was diagnosed with low vitamin D. Doctor put me on 20,000 IU per week for 6 weeks. I did my own reasearch and found out this wasn't a lot so I have continued to buy my own to take weekly. My level has now come back up to normal. I also take a B-complex tablet called "B-active" that I got in tesco.

Low vitamin D is quite common because the sun isn't strong enough in this country, so we can only make limited amounts of vitamin D at certain times of the year and only if our skin is directly exposed to sunlight (no sun cream). Low vitamin D can cause similar symptoms to fibro - fatigue, muscular and bone aches and pains. Taking vitamin D might help reduce those symptoms in some people.

Obviously it is best to speak to your GP about it but you can order your own vitamin D test online for £35 http://www.vitamindtest.org.uk/.

Yes you can overdose on vitamin D but you really have to take stupidly high doses for a long time. The vitamin d council recommend an adult take 5000 IU per day with a maximum intake of 10,000 IU daily. Most supplements sold in shops have 1000IU in them at best, but you can buy high strength ones online and just take 1 per week or whatever. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/#

I take weekly vitamin D and a vitamin B tablet. I think they have helped me with energy levels.

I think it is up to us to research and see what works (within safety reasons obviously), because doctors have nothing to offer apart from pain pills and antidepressants which don't work. :( Good diet with proper vitamins and exercise can help some people to cope.

Completely agree! I have given up on the NHS and am now seeing what I can do to help myself. I've been taking a multivitamin supplement for a few years but it only gives the RDA of vitamins. So I think it's worth trying a higher dose of B12 and D for a while. Probably less likely to do me harm than prescription medication :-/
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:36 pm

MPSGuy wrote:I think it is up to us to research and see what works (within safety reasons obviously), because doctors have nothing to offer apart from pain pills and antidepressants which don't work. :( Good diet with proper vitamins and exercise can help some people to cope.

Do make sure research is balanced, covering not just the good, but also the bad and the ugly. Don't just skim over the side effects and problems that things can cause, read them with the same level of attention given to the benefits and all~round general goodyness info, and make sure you are aware of potential signs that something may not be suiting you.

The RDA is exactly what it says....a RECOMMENDED Daily Allowance. As we're all so very different, some may be able to tolerate higher amounts, whereas others may find that even the RDA is too much for them.

As has already been said, some vitamins and supplements do need to be taken in conjunction with others for the body to be able to absorb them, which does need to be part of what is researched.

The best source of what is needed is what we eat, so diet plays a massive part, and should also form a significant part of what is researched.

The addition of extra vitamins is always one of those grey areas rather than being straight forward and definite, which is why having things checked, and looking into the subject before starting to add to things taken is so important.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby carolad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:00 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote:
MPSGuy wrote:I think it is up to us to research and see what works (within safety reasons obviously), because doctors have nothing to offer apart from pain pills and antidepressants which don't work. :( Good diet with proper vitamins and exercise can help some people to cope.

Do make sure research is balanced, covering not just the good, but also the bad and the ugly. Don't just skim over the side effects and problems that things can cause, read them with the same level of attention given to the benefits and all~round general goodyness info, and make sure you are aware of potential signs that something may not be suiting you.

The RDA is exactly what it says....a RECOMMENDED Daily Allowance. As we're all so very different, some may be able to tolerate higher amounts, whereas others may find that even the RDA is too much for them.

As has already been said, some vitamins and supplements do need to be taken in conjunction with others for the body to be able to absorb them, which does need to be part of what is researched.

The best source of what is needed is what we eat, so diet plays a massive part, and should also form a significant part of what is researched.

The addition of extra vitamins is always one of those grey areas rather than being straight forward and definite, which is why having things checked, and looking into the subject before starting to add to things taken is so important.

Very good advice :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby stephdawn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi guys. I haven't been on the site for a while due to complications. But I had blood tests done not so long ago and they came up with that I need to go on Vit B12. The DR put it on script as he told me that the ones you get over the counter just aren't strong enough!! I'm also taking multi-vits. Touch wood they should start working soon. :-) I hope this has helped anyone who is questioning the subject xx
stephdawn
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:34 pm

I was found to have a level of 15, so gp put me on 20,000UI for a month, and then a maintenance dose of 800UI. As I started feeling even worse after my dose was reduced, I badgered my gp into re-testing. Turns out I am now a level of 144 (highest in normal range), so that doesn't explain any of my symptoms!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia