pain after a massage

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

pain after a massage

Postby binocular » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:27 pm

A lot of my pain is in my feet and legs and back. I can walk a bit but I quickly get very sore and stiff. Today I had a foot and lower leg massage expecting this to be nice for the ongoing aches. It was lovely at the time, though hard on my back sitting up. I began walking home but in a few minutes I was in agony. Sat in the park in tears before hobbling the rest of the way home. Has anyone else had this happen after a massage?
binocular
UKFM Member

Re: pain after a massage

Postby krysta » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 pm

I've never tried a message. Surely with fibromyalgia massaging or muscles will hurt. Learn about the symptoms on line u can get a wealth of information. I found by doing this I've learned what I can and can't do. I know when I have a bad day what causes it. Knowledge is a great thing. Good luck x
krysta
UKFM Member

Postby binocular » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Well I thought a gentle massage would help as my feet are always throbbing and aching. She knew I had FM so did a gentle massage. I know my symptoms by experiencing them. 'A wealth of information' is rarely helpful. I have knowledge about what leads to good and bad days, but I've not figured out how to walk as much as I'd like to be able to walk. I know walking causes pain. But nothing online can tell me how to walk happily.
binocular
UKFM Member

Postby inkyboo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:55 pm

I have regular deep tissue massage and have found that although it is sometimes very painful it has been the best thing to combat a lot of the muscular pain. You have to be careful what type of massage you have as I found a general relaxing massage to be extremely painful afterwards. In all honesty the first massage I had was agony but after 3 or 4 treatments my pain was a lot less and I have actually been able to fall asleep whilst having a treatment. Which is amazing as I used to only be able to get an hour a night and now I'm up to 4 hours of sleep a night. Doesn't sound like much but it has changed a lot of my symptoms for the better.

Best thing I can recommend is to find a sports therapist and talk to them about your symptoms before you have any form of treatment. Also make sure you can talk to your therapist when having the treatment as they will need to know what pressure you can cope with. A good sports therapist may also give you some stretches to do to help maintain the work they have done in a treatment.

Massage has been the only thing that has helped with my symptoms as I used to struggle to walk at all without a burning pain in my calf's. Plus having some stretches to do before I go for a walk has helped me to walk further. I would say you need to build up how far and at what pace you can walk over time. It comes down to pacing for me so that I avoid having a boom and bust routine. One day you feel you can run a marathon and you do too much (boom) and the next you can barely move (bust). I found that I had to figure out what I could cope with doing on a daily basis without going overboard and from there I built on it so that I could do more gradually without having days where I couldn't move. It's hard but it's a good mentality to take on because you know you can do something on the really bad days. Which for me means that I feel more positive about myself rather than thinking that it's a bad and therefore defeating myself before I've even tried.
inkyboo
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:30 am

I am with you. I can't handle anyone massaging me. Pretty well and movement by someone else causes pain. Yes even hubby. We have found ways to be intimate without him putting me in tears.

I feel for you because a massage is something that should cause pleasure.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:12 pm

binocular wrote:Well I thought a gentle massage would help as my feet are always throbbing and aching. She knew I had FM so did a gentle massage. I know my symptoms by experiencing them. 'A wealth of information' is rarely helpful. I have knowledge about what leads to good and bad days, but I've not figured out how to walk as much as I'd like to be able to walk. I know walking causes pain. But nothing online can tell me how to walk happily.

Hi, massage can help but it can also be contra-indicative and make your symptoms worse. In the early days I found it helped but was painful at the time. Now it's just agony so I avoid it. Sometimes my muscles need rubbing and manipulating to release spasms in them but it is agony having it done. For example, 2 weeks ago my physio had to manipulate my foot as the connective tissue under it had got completely knotted up to the point I couldn't take any weight through it atall for nearly a week. It was the worst pain I've had having her do it but it was that or stay in agony with it. It's the same with other muscles, absolute agony having to try and release them. So now I won't even consider a massage for pleasure as it's anything but and also wouldn't go to a normal massage therapist to get muscles released, I would always ask my physio to do it if i hadn't managed myself or my carers not managed (physio taught her how to do it to get them released/unknotted).

Re your walking, it really is a case of not overdoing it. You need to find out how far you can walk without increasing your pain or without it increasing your symptoms afterwards. Feeling some pain is to be expected but you shouldn't be letting it increase. When you find your limit you can then build on it. Keep doing to your limit till you feel really comfortable with it and aren't getting payback from doing it. Then increase it ever so slightly (for me this was literally done in seconds but my walking is very limited) and stay at that level till no pain increase/ payback from it. I know its tedious when you want to just walk but I found by ignoring it and walking through the pain thinking it was the right thing to do that I actually made myself worse and my limits dropped significantly. I now only walk around 30 metres before I have to stop and I can't repeat it. So am reliant on A wheelchair when out. This may seem pitifully little to some people but after I pushed and pushed I crashed to the point I couldn't walk at all and so this is really good for me.

You may also find stretching exercises may help your walking and also core muscle exercises. My physio does this with me and she has said even though my distance isn't far the way I am walking has improved a lot. Good luck.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:50 pm

My body cannot tolerate massage. I have tried massage many times and it makes me worse. It flares up symptoms.

I do tho have trigger point therapy. I find that getting straight to the points of the areas work better then all over as my body finds it too much to cope with.

Sometimes and especially after not having a massage for a long while it can cause alot of pain and discomfort but settle down after a few days.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia