Heatwave

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Heatwave

Postby robbiecramp » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:52 am

I know and understand that Fibromyalgia effects everyone different and my physio, GP, occupational therapist and pain clinic consultant says it usually gets better in the summer when we have warmer days mine as done the complete opposite it's flared up something silly I can barely go out and cant be outside no more than 15 mins even in back garden

anyone the same

Robbie
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Re: Heatwave

Postby emmas » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:36 am

I find the extremes of temperature have different effects on me. The cold triggers pain that feels like it is in my bones and is agony until I can sit in a hot bath and is near-on impossible to soothe any other way. The heat triggers pain that feels more muscular, like you could stretch it out, but you can't and it really ramps up the fatigue.

Personally, this heat is killing me; I can hardly be away from a fan and feel like I need five cool showers a day (but without the energy to stand in them!). Roll on the three days in the autumn where it will be the right temperature for me before I go back to complaining about being too cold again ;-)

I'd suggest investing in a big fan if you can and these are supposed to be great (I've got a friend with another condition which is very susceptible to temperature and she swears by it), but not cheap -- it's the next thing on my list of things to get.

At least this weather is supposed to break soon and it might get a little bit more bearable soon!
emmas
UKFM Newbie

Postby padders » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:00 am

Hi,
I am the same the heat is making me worse, but I think it is the humidity more than anything. With it being so warm and humid it makes us more tired which then triggers pain. When I go abroad I am fine in the sun as no humidity.
I have a fan from Argos it is a desk fan but a big one it may be 12 inch one. Wasn't expensive £12 and has 3 speeds on it, you can have it on swivel or stationary. Best thing I brought, also has a long cord so easy to move it around.
Lisa x
padders
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:33 am

I am also having problems with the heat. It is as if my whole body just leaks (not ladylike) so think I need the :fireman: :fireman: :fireman: :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:02 am

I am really struggling in this heat. I use an ice pack it really hepls. It relieves pain and cools me down lovely.
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby nuttymoo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Hiya,

I live in Spain and find July and August, when it is at it's hottest, difficult as my 'thermostat' doesn't seem to work, so I too need to be by fans or Air Cons to keep cool. Because it is so warm I tend to get a lot of headaches that take some shifting. If there are not too many kids about(holiday makers) I sometimes have the chance to go in the Pool but that is difficult during these months, as they do tend to take over the Pool. I still have alot of pain in my hips and lower back and my left shoulder too. It is also difficult to sleep at night when it is so hot, we have 2 fans on in the bedroom and I do take Targin and Tryptazol and Sirdalud to help me sleep, which does help somewhat. Gentle hugs to everyone xxx 8-)
nuttymoo
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:45 pm

Far, far too hot for me. I've fed up of feeling like I'm melting and having sweat all over me. I'm in and out of the shower and bath all thru the day, which is ridiculous :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:44 pm

Looks like I may be in the minority here reading the replies. I love the heat, I feel soooo much better when its hot and sunny. My pain reduces significantly which is fab. Don't like the sweating but then I get that regardless of what the weather is like, I can be dripping wet when there is snow on the ground so feel somewhat better about it in this weather cos at least everyone is the same lol.

I got an inflatable hot tub in my garden too so in and out of that but I run it at body temperature even in this heat to get the best from it in regards to relaxing my muscles.

Apart from that I got fans running in the house and carry a hand held fan in my bag when I go anywhere.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby robbiecramp » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi Guys thank you for sharing

I think the comment about humidity is probably the answer my dad said to me yesterday when we went to collect my daughter from her mums and had to nip into Tesco two aisles I was sat on a bench waiting and my dad said Spain is probably 10-20C hotter nd I instantly replied without the humidity.

Michelle I do take your point my Mum had MS and Fibro along with other things but she was a lot better when it was summer

I only was diagnosed in January so am probably still learning how to cope

Much appreciated guys

Robbie
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia