Back to the drawing board

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Back to the drawing board

Postby dotty lotty » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:52 pm

For 5 weeks during acupuncture I was having some degree of normality and although not pain free I was pain tolerable :-D :-D then the pain started up again and the last 2 sessions were a waste of money :banghead: :banghead: :scream-1: so it is back to square 1.
It is as if fibro leads you into a false sense of security then bam. :( :( Ah well :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Re: Back to the drawing board

Postby Lindilou » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Total frustration. A few weeks ago I walked into town, every day - no pain. Now - ha, it's all back again and I've not walked any different now as to then ! I just do not understand all this :pull-hair:
Lindilou

Postby denys » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:45 pm

Sorry it stopped working :fingerscrossed: for the next thing
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:38 pm

Were you having it every week? When I was having it I was told to have 4 weeks in a row to build it up then after that once every 4 weeks. I was told that it can make things worse if you have too much or needles are in for too long. Maybe try leaving it a few weeks then having another session to see if it makes a difference.

I had mine on the nhs till they introduced time limits and it was stopped. Have since had 3 lots of traditional acupuncture which I paid for. But then I got referred to my local physio department who do it but she asked if I'd be willing to try physio first as she felt it would be better long term than acupuncture for me as she could hopefully get me stronger and my pain more controlled and less severe whereas the acupuncture is only acting as pain relief rather than providing long term improvement if that makes sense? She advised I just had acupuncture if I had a bad flare that wouldn't calm down on its own. I was very skeptical if I'm being honest and only wanted acupuncture as had tried physio before and got worse but I agreed to try as I wasn't gonna get far otherwise. Well, it's been fantastic. She was right, I am stronger already since I started going middle of April, I am able to do more, my muscles are stronger, my pain is less, I'm not falling over anymore and I'm not missing the acupuncture atall anymore. She asked me yesterday how I felt about it all and had to admit that she had been right and thanked her for working with me with regard to my limits and not trying to push me past them rather increasing slowly based on my response.

So dunno if this is something you could try if you not already under a physio department?
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:17 am

Michelle I was having it every week so I think that was 7 or 8 sessions and the needles were in usually for about an hour :yikes:
I am going to cancel next session and try increasing my swimming slowly and physio is an idea thanks. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:39 pm

I think they over cooked you with it dotty. It's very easy to overdo the acupuncture with fibro and your sudden change from good to bad would suggest this is what has happened. An hr seems very long to have them in. Mine were only in for around 10-15 mins each but to start with only 3-4 minutes.

I agree you should cancel your next session then see how you go. Don't have any more until you have settled down but even then I would suggest waiting 4-6 weeks before having more. Do you have to pay for it and is it traditonal five element acupuncture u are having or is it the westernised version of needling into trigger points? If a private practioner maybe consider trying to find someone who will leave them in for a shorter amount of time.

My swimming and physio is a real godsend to me and I do feel I'm helping my body more doing that as I'm not letting my muscles waste away anymore. Let us know how you go on Hun x
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:54 am

Thanks Michelle yes I was paying £35 a session. Not sure what type (did not know there was more than 1 type) but he was a member of Traditional Chinese Medicine Association so presume it was the 5 element acupuncture. Next session is now cancelled :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:11 pm

Yes,sounds like it would be 5 element. That seems to be what most private practioners do from my experience. The nhs offer it but they do a western version of it which is needling into the areas that are painful rather than doing it based on the flows of the body or whatever they call it, my physio says technically what the nhs offer is dry needling rather than acupuncture but they call it acupuncture.

Not sure why he left them in so long though if it is 5 element. I went to 2 different private practioners but they both did the same thing. A few needles went in and stayed in for maybe 15 mins tops, the whole time they were measuring my pulse and also checking for heat coming off the needles. Then they put in other needles but they didn't stay in. It was literally in on the inward breath, hold, then pulled out as I breathed out again. But no 2 sessions were the same with them as far as where the needles were put. The girl I saw twice said that there was no need to repeat what she did the previous week instead focussing on a different area but also on restoring energy. Then the second lady listened to what the first had done and then treated the same element but in different points. Tbh I prefer the dry needling offered by the nhs, think it works better for me but the traditional did help too, particularly with my legs and my migraines. What I did find is that the traditional made my fatigue worse for a couple of days where the nhs one was only for a couple of hrs after it.

Really hope you start to pick up again now u have cancelled it.
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia