Fibromyalgia and amoxicillin

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibromyalgia and amoxicillin

Postby Mercia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:40 pm

I have just been prescribed Amoxicillin for a lung infection and am feeling dreadful, does anyone know if it has an affect on fibromyalgia with anxiety and ibs. It's made my fibro fog and balance so bad and my anxiety , just feel like going to bed and staying there, though I can't because I have to care for my Husband who is 82. Would love to hear from anyone
Mercia
Mercia
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibromyalgia and amoxicillin

Postby denys » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:43 pm

No it wont be because of the FM and antibiotic, but have you had penicillin based antibiotics before I cant take any of them as Im allergic so if you dont start to pick up or start to get a rash or swelling then you need to go back to the docs (or walk in centre) to get something else.

There could be an interaction with some of your meds (if you take any) for your FM though so read through the leaflets that come with your tablets
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby libbiek30 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi I get exactly the same. I think we can b very sensitive to some meds. I avoid any penicillin now I don't react to other antibiotics. Let ur gp know so they can add to ur notes. Take care :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby dallasuk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:44 pm

I am fine with amoxicillin, but i have issues with paracetamol & codeine. Every one is different so just keep an eye out for any signs & if you do get any let your doctor know :)
dallasuk
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Sounds like side-effects to the antibiotics plus you must be feeling very ill with the infection.

If you still dont feel well in a few days then i would call your GP for advice.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby krysta » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:21 pm

I've have had amoxicillin on 2 occasions for an infection in my bladder and kidneys. I had no side effects and I take MST and amitriptilne. Amoxicillin is an antibiotic for infections and not a medication for Fibro sufferers. Krysta x
krysta
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi Mercia, You have my sympathy, I also have a husband of 81 who relies on me. That's just the way it goes.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby The Fizz » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:56 pm

Firstly, you have my sympathy, when you have to care for others and feel ill yourself it is an uphill struggle.
I would think though, that the lung infection will make you feel rough even without having fibro. Also antibiotics can also make you feel bad. (Speak to a health advisor about taking a good probiotic to counteract the unwanted side effects of the antibiotics). Generally, I would say I always feel worse before I start to feel better when taking antibiotics and on top of that, there's the added symptoms from the fibromyalgia.
Is there anyone that could help you with day to day tasks, to lighten the load?
"The Impossible Just takes a Little Longer" - Art Berg
The Fizz
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:07 pm

I think it is probably the infection that is making you ill and if you are ill then why are you not in bed anyway? Anything that requires antibiotics should have a course of bed rest prescribed too.

I had a kidney infection about 3+ months ago and it took some time for my body to recover, not sure it has fully even now.

Hope you feel better soon.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Jo90 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:52 am

I agree with migremb. I went to the doc's recently and she told me I had a bad chest infection and put me on a double dose of amoxicillin. I felt dreadful and could've just stayed in bed but I know that was just my body telling me to rest while it recovered! I believe in looking after yourself when you're ill and listening to your body.
Jo90
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia