Living with fibromyalgia anxiety and ibs

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Living with fibromyalgia anxiety and ibs

Postby Mercia » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:31 am

My anxiety is ruling my life and making the Fibromyalgia worse by having nausea and very poor appetite, my main worry is keeping my weight up. The anxiety keeps worrying whether the food is going to upset my ibs, and so I feel in vicous circle
Trying relaxation tapes, seen a Psychiatrist should feels I am suffering from emotional stress and relaxation is the answer as I have tried several antidepressants without any success, Have a lung infection at the moment and taking amoxicillin. My Dr has referred me for dietary help but the NHS is so slow.
I am 78years old and until one year ago was leading a fairly normal life with mild fibromyalgia, now can't drive through this awful fog and lack if balance, anyone had similar?
Mercia
UKFM Newbie

Re: Living with fibromyalgia anxiety and ibs

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:53 pm

It looks like to me the IBS is the trigger to the anxiety so this must be addressed.

Then you have to work out whats the cause of the IBS and in your case you say it maybe emotional stress.

So then you will have to tackle the emotional stress to help the IBS and in turn the anxiety :crazy:

Having the lung infection will make you feel alot worse and may make all this worse.

Maybe a combination of some talking therapy, relaxation techniques along with the dietry advice may help. I hope it doesnt take too long for your appointment.

Feeling foggy and lack of balance are some of the fibro symptoms but i feel its possibly worse or even triggered by the infection. Im no GP but i have had many infections and felt dreadfull.

Hopefully when the infection has gone and the antibiotics have left your system you might start to feel better.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Lindenp » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi Mercia, :wave: :welcome:

I'm sorry that you are feeling so bad just now. It is very often that antibiotics can make you feel nauseous. Have you asked your GP to give you something for the nausea? That would certainly help. :roll:

Have you got anything to help with the IBS if/when it flares up? I take Mebeverine 20 minutes before food and it certainly helps. Don't give up on it too quickly if it doesn't seem to help because I have found that it has an accumulative effect too. You should also be able to get something to help the symptoms once you have an attack. I've seen a few advertised on TV so ask your GP for help with that too.

The NHS is rather slow sometimes. As Fibro sufferers we seem to be always waiting for some appointment or other. I saw a number of dietitians to lose weight and the first one told me that if I wasn't able to exercise I wouldn't be able to lose weight! Well I've proved her wrong. I have lost 4½ stone so far and I'm still losing! I don't want to discourage you but I don't want you to put all your hopes on the dietitian only to be disappointed.

I'm presuming that you have access to a computer as you have made this post. Have a look at www.myfitnesspal.com. You can copy and paste the address into the bar at the top of the computer or search on my fitness pal. It is basically an easy calorie counter. It has a massive database of foods so you just tell it what you have eaten and it works out the number of calories in it. You can track up to 5 different nutrients at a time such as Calories, Fat, Sugar, Sodium etc, so you can make informed choices about what to eat. You don't need to eat huge amounts just try to increase your calorie intake everyday. Small changes are easier to make than big ones and you are much more likely to be able to maintain them. :goodluck2:

I hope you find something that will help you soon. Keep badgering your GP to get the help you need. Most practices these days have a number of Dr's so find one that you can relate to and who is willing to work with you to get the help you need just now. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Gentle hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Linden
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi Mercia, sorry to hear you are going thru this. Have your Dr. check your vitamin D levels for your upper respiratory issues believe me it will make a huge difference a well as strengthening your bones and dealing with stress. Also the adrenal glands could be over taxed and may be why we are so stress out. Good luck and gentle hugs.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi, I don't have much else to offer except keep an eye on your weight, if it rapidly starts dropping your gp can ring the dietician and hurry the appointment along

I suffer with eating and last year was referred to a dietician, my appointment came and it was 9 months away.

My weight was around 7 1\2 stone at the time, gp said the wait was ridiculous and got the appointment hurried along.

Good luck lovely!
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby kezza1 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:34 pm

I have never had my vits checked and feel run down all the time sometimes I feel full of energy and then its gone in instance I am dropping thinds and forgetting where I have put something it hurts to remember xx
kezza1
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia