Vitamin D

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Vitamin D

Postby Chickenosaurus » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:50 am

Woah! Can I just point out that there are some rather nasty side effects from taking high levels of some vitamins over a period of time, like nerve damage from B6 and a whole load of nasties from vitamin A. Obviously, some people know about these effects - but I've seen people recommend large doses of B complex, so some are unaware...

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/819426-overview
Chickenosaurus
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:22 pm

MPSGuy wrote:
rich44 wrote:No i've chugged down 300,000 units in a week, still feel awful.

300,00IU, that is a lot!

I think vitamin D has become a bit of a fad. I'm sure some people benefit a lot but for me I found no difference in pain. I think taking B vitamins was more beneficial.

I guess at least there are usually no side effects from vitamins, unlike the prescription drugs.

That's what the gp prescribed

Too much of anything can be a very bad thing, huge doses of vitamin c have been linked to cancer, vitamin A, B complex.

I saw an interesting article that fibromyalgia could be caused by excess folic acid in our diet caused by all grains being artificially enhanced. This could be why some show an improvement when they go gluten free?

They referred to the "folate trap"
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:58 pm

How long are you taking 300k per week for Rich?

I was very low, took 12k per day for a month, and my levels were right at the top end of normal by the end of that. Now I maintain on 800 per day.

Btw, taking those did absolutely nothing for how I felt!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Chickenosaurus » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:08 pm

'all grains being artificially enhanced' with folic acid?

Do you have some links regarding this? I was aware that some countries fortify grains with folic acid, but was under the impression that this was not the case in the UK. One of the reasons that bread is not fortified with folic acid here is that B12 deficiency can be masked by a high level of folate as there is some compensation.
Chickenosaurus
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:14 pm

It may have been a us centric report I didn't look to see where it had come from I'll see if I can find it again
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:38 am

When I say usually no side effects I am talking about taking the recommended dose of common over the counter supplements.

I would hope that buying super strength preparations and/or taking above the recommended doses of anything would go against most people's common sense really??? Too much of most things is usually a bad thing. Vitamins like A and D can be problematic in overdose, as can iron..... but really you do have to take stupid amounts to overdose.

I try to avoid breakfast cereals because most are so loaded with sugar they are basically just junk food. But most cereals are fortified with iron and B vitamins, some also have vitamin C, D and calcium added as well. Still not sure that balances out all the sugar though :roll:
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Trouble is if it's on the shelf it must be safe otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell it mentality prevails.

It's a lot better these days but I've seen vit c pills with 3000% rda (don't get me started on rda but it's something to measure against) and people were taking them because huge doses of vit c with boosting your immune system.

In my experience the vast majority of the population has no common sense, I don't mean that as an insult just a statement of observation, this is why we have to cater to the lowest common denominator.
rich44
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia