Hand pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hand pain

Postby emma83 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:26 am

Hi I'm having terrible pains in my hands especially during the night. It started with my left hand now it's the right. Moving my fingers is agony has anyone else experienced this? I have an office based job so wondering if that's making it worse with typing etc? Or can you just get it with fibro anyway.
I just want to cry this morning. I woke up 8 times in the night I'm exhausted and the pain is awful :-( I've only just been diagnosed with fibro too making me emotional!!! Xx
emma83
UKFM Member

Re: Hand pain

Postby Garyl » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:45 am

Emma i have have had the hand pains for over 10 years now, is awful effects my sleep, doctor prescribed 2 x 500 mg Paracetomaol and 2 X dihyrocodine tablets before bed they do help slightly, saying that i also werar gloves with magnets in at bedtime and during the day they also help slightly.

I would also suugest you try not to sleep on your hands i used to but have forced myself to not although occasionaly i still do.

is unbearable pains at times. hope you can get help to make this better.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby jinglis » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:59 am

Hi Emma ,
I've been experiencing pain in my hands and fingers for over a year now. Like you I've only recently been diagnosed with fibro but I'm already on lots of pain medication for a back condition so can't have anything else. I don't work anymore due to other health issues but can't imagine having to type every day. When I had to give up work I took up some hobbies and I've now had to give up baking. I've found the pains in my hands one of the most frustrating as it makes even the simplest of tasks unbearable, even sending a text message can be difficult . I try to go to sleep flat on my back with my arms/hands lying straight on top of the bed covers and try to do some relaxation to relax the muscles so they're not all tensed up. I do think activity makes them worse, I had a couple of good days last week so tried to do a wee bit of knitting , the pain afterwards was awful. Sorry I can't be more positive. I also massage hand cream in every night just to try and loosen them up a bit. Good luck Julie x
jinglis
UKFM Newbie

Postby clb » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:32 am

hi emma

im the same have been diagnosed now for just over a year. i find sleeping with my hand on top of the covers does help, also rubbing cream into them helps at times. im on tramadol caps 4 times a day due to all the pain i get. i have had to give up work aswell. i cant do any housework,cooking ect. Due to the pain in my hands and rest of body.hope you manage to get help with your problem it might be worth asking our dr about more pain relief and if there is anythinf he/she can give you to help with your hand problem.
clb
UKFM Newbie

Postby MrsP77 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:46 am

I do sometimes get hand pain, but for me my hands are constantly swollen, and my finger look like pork sausages! I don't know how you manage with work, I had to give up around the time I was diagnosed (2010). I do find typing so much more comfortable than writing though. Good luck x
MrsP77
UKFM Member

Postby Maryanne » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 am

Hi Emma, I have had hand pain for many years, long before being diagnosed with fibro. Rheumatoid arthritis has been ruled out but, I do have osteoarthritis in my fingers. There are sometimes other causes of hand pain. I am going for a nerve conduction study at the end of the week as my GP thinks I could have carpal tunnel syndrome and also I have had blood work done for thyroid function. The last couple of days with the change in weather, has also made my hands and fingers more painful. It is very awkward to manage with hand pain, as I do work still and do quite heavy manual work - just ! I hope you can be helped to find something to ease the awful pain and discomfort you are having. :hugs: xx
Maryanne
UKFM Member

Postby Paisleyjane » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi Emma, hand pain is awful. I to have terrible problems. I have Matrifen patches ( morphine,) perhaps you need something much stronger. I also found Amitryptilline at bedtime a life saviour.
My fingers now get swollen and red. Others on here with the same had a diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. When my GP is back will discuss it. I wear gloves,you can get fingerless ones. Try putting voltarol cream on ,then the gloves. I found it helped. I have 2 pairs a light cream pair with just a bit of finger, and a pair that come almost to finger tip which are ace when all the joints hurt.
Hope you get more help.It has taken me 2 years to get to grips with pacing myself. Most everyone here would say treat yourself gently, don't worry too much about what you can't do. Do just what you are able and no more. Look for the link of the Spoons story, helps put it into perspective, we are all much the same on here,to a lesser or greater extent.
All the best :-)
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby Lottebo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi Emma. I was suffering with very bad pain in my hands too so was referred to Rheumatology and am now on medication for Rheumatoid arthritis. Get it checked out as it could be something else than the fibro.
Charlotte
Lottebo
UKFM Member

Postby keaedmondson » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:31 pm

I think hand pain is quite common. I got lots of support on here a couple years back when it started for me.

I have thin cotton gloves for at night. Not sure where I got from though.

Doctor prescribed algesal cream. I guess it's like voltarol.

Maybe see if work can recommend any useful exercises or any alternative ways of you being able to do your work without putting your hands under extra stress.
Take regular breaks too if poss.

Sorry this is reading like a lecture! Lol.
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:15 pm

MrsP77 wrote:I do sometimes get hand pain, but for me my hands are constantly swollen, and my finger look like pork sausages! I don't know how you manage with work, I had to give up around the time I was diagnosed (2010). I do find typing so much more comfortable than writing though. Good luck x

Have you been tested for arthritis? Psoriatic arthritis causes sausage fingers and toes. I have it :(
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:17 pm

I have mainly pain in my right hand. But I am right handed so it gets used a lot. Especially playing games on the ipad. During the night and first thing in the morning I cant close my fingers into a fist as they're so stiff and painful. It takes maybe ten minutes of gently using them before they start feeling more relaxed. I know it happens during the night as when I wake to turn over and pull the duvet I cant pull it up with my right hand :(
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Lydia6dg » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:26 pm

I have had fibro since 1997 the pains in my hands are caused by lumps building up on the finger joints , I have got rheumatoid arthritis now thanks to fibro n its also in my little toe joint next to the sole of my foot , I also cervical spondylosis and many times in the night I wake up to find I cant move my hands n arms as they are paralyzed , my gp does not think I need to go to a rheumatologist even though I have been going to them for years ... I am in a massive attack at the minute as I am fighting to get my care part of the dla back , had to go to magistrates court an actual court n go in front of a judge in a court room the most stressful thing I have been through , after a sleepless night n in massive pain told after an hour it was cancelled till October !!! I was in tears n felt a real baby , but had come off all my meds for three days so they can see me as I really am n have no medication hiding anything ///Pissed off with this illness , n its getting worse , so all of you who have just been diagnosed believe me enjoy everything you are doing now as over the years y9ou can do less n less, I have no hobbies any more as I am in so much pain n suffer with really bad depression....this sounds odd but I would have rather have got cancer , lived or died than live the life I have to live with this illness....it steals who you were n makes you into something you dont want to be ...in constant chronic pain . I go to bed wishing I wont wake up every morning ......
Lydia6dg
UKFM Newbie

Postby emma83 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:43 am

Wow thanks for the replies it's so reliving to know I'm not alone. As I have only just being diagnosed it's good to hear from other ppl and have my worries lessened that I'm not alone with this agonizing hand pain. It's worse at night but your right I must try my hardest to sleep with it out of covers. I only started my amitripyline last week so far it's not had any effect :-( but give it time. I am not on any decent pain relief only over counter which does sweet FA!
I am ppl plowing through the pain barriers as best I can to work as I'll be devasted if I can't work and bills to pay, so I'm just hoping things don't get worse. They are sending me to occupational health though. Doctor says I'm too young for any kind of arthritis so I'm assuming it just fibro. I wanna curl up and cry at the moment though and sleep I WANT sleep!!!! Lol
Love to u all xx
emma83
UKFM Member

Postby emma83 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:51 am

Lydia6dg wrote: I have had fibro since 1997 the pains in my hands are caused by lumps building up on the finger joints , I have got rheumatoid arthritis now thanks to fibro n its also in my little toe joint next to the sole of my foot , I also cervical spondylosis and many times in the night I wake up to find I cant move my hands n arms as they are paralyzed , my gp does not think I need to go to a rheumatologist even though I have been going to them for years ... I am in a massive attack at the minute as I am fighting to get my care part of the dla back , had to go to magistrates court an actual court n go in front of a judge in a court room the most stressful thing I have been through , after a sleepless night n in massive pain told after an hour it was cancelled till October !!! I was in tears n felt a real baby , but had come off all my meds for three days so they can see me as I really am n have no medication hiding anything ///Pissed off with this illness , n its getting worse , so all of you who have just been diagnosed believe me enjoy everything you are doing now as over the years y9ou can do less n less, I have no hobbies any more as I am in so much pain n suffer with really bad depression....this sounds odd but I would have rather have got cancer , lived or died than live the life I have to live with this illness....it steals who you were n makes you into something you dont want to be ...in constant chronic pain . I go to bed wishing I wont wake up every morning ......

Lydia maybe you need extra support. There are charities out there that help and support people through benefits appeal also maybe try insight healthcare and talking therapy ( have a google) as they are easy to acess and free of charge. I am a social worker for a charity so I know there is a lot of support out there for you when you are feeling so low. Don't be afraid to ask for help please xxx
emma83
UKFM Member

Postby j264mc » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:04 am

I have horrendous pain too in my hands and my arms feel like 100 bricks the only slight relief I get is laying on my back, arms on top of a big pillow out of the bed, I really feel for you all it drives me so crazy :(
j264mc
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia