Hand pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Hand pain

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:56 am

Oh yes I get this too, it started randomly one day when I'd barely used the computer. I was in bed and of course, there's nothing to distract you from pain. Suddenly both my wrists and some fingers became mega painful and I nearly cried out, it was like something stabbing me with a hot poker. I've also had this in my ankles, and it's spread to the days now. It does get a little worse in my right hand after typing or after holding my tablet, but really it strikes whenever it feels like it.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby emma83 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:43 pm

I am struggling with things like lifting the kettle, writing, and washing my hair OMG!!! OWWWWW! it bizarre we all seem to complain hands are worse at night or in the morning. 2 nights now with little sleep because of it and also because im still not sleeping well ( don't think amitriptyline has kicked in)!
Had my blood test today they took loads they are even testing me for PARVO virus??!! I think they just wanna eliminate everything so they can be 100% sure its fibro. :sheep:
emma83
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Yup me too, worse in my left hand (I'm left handed) possibly worse there because I shattered the bone in my index finger when I was 18 and it's always been a bit gypy.

Just holding my phone is enough to hurt like hell
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Emma, yes I find washing my hair a pain too! I need to dye it and have been putting it off cos it takes so long and will hurt no doubt! How long have you been taking the Amit for?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:16 am

Zia2014 wrote:Emma, yes I find washing my hair a pain too! I need to dye it and have been putting it off cos it takes so long and will hurt no doubt! How long have you been taking the Amit for?

I dye my hair at home too :-D No problems doing it or washing my hair as yet. Can you get yours done at the hairdressers? It's probably an extra cost but at least you wont have the pain x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:10 pm

Well I tried it today and it did not go well :( I found I didn't have enough strength to squeeze the foam out of the bottle, a complication I was not expecting. I cried, then went through two more boxes to try and get enough foam, eventually giving up after getting dye everywhere (oops) and in the end dumped the liquid into a box (and splatting the kitchen while I was getting it) and poured it over my head.

So upset. Yet another thing I didn't expect would be taken away from me. I hate getting my hair done at hairdressers and I've never had it dyed there, but I guess I'll have to.

This fibro just likes taking, doesn't it... :roll:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby rich44 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:24 am

:(
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Lydia6dg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:15 pm

emma83 wrote:
Lydia6dg wrote: I have had fibro since 1997 the pains in my hands are caused by lumps building up on the finger joints , I have got rheumatoid arthritis now thanks to fibro n its also in my little toe joint next to the sole of my foot , I also cervical spondylosis and many times in the night I wake up to find I cant move my hands n arms as they are paralyzed , my gp does not think I need to go to a rheumatologist even though I have been going to them for years ... I am in a massive attack at the minute as I am fighting to get my care part of the dla back , had to go to magistrates court an actual court n go in front of a judge in a court room the most stressful thing I have been through , after a sleepless night n in massive pain told after an hour it was cancelled till October !!! I was in tears n felt a real baby , but had come off all my meds for three days so they can see me as I really am n have no medication hiding anything ///Pissed off with this illness , n its getting worse , so all of you who have just been diagnosed believe me enjoy everything you are doing now as over the years y9ou can do less n less, I have no hobbies any more as I am in so much pain n suffer with really bad depression....this sounds odd but I would have rather have got cancer , lived or died than live the life I have to live with this illness....it steals who you were n makes you into something you dont want to be ...in constant chronic pain . I go to bed wishing I wont wake up every morning ......

Lydia maybe you need extra support. There are charities out there that help and support people through benefits appeal also maybe try insight healthcare and talking therapy ( have a google) as they are easy to acess and free of charge. I am a social worker for a charity so I know there is a lot of support out there for you when you are feeling so low. Don't be afraid to ask for help please xxx

Thank you will have a look , this illness gets me so down , not been dressed all day as last eek was manic , n it tales it out of you , thanks again Lydia x
Lydia6dg
UKFM Newbie

Postby MichelleJ » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Yes I get the hand pain too. Makes everything difficult. I saw someone mentioned struggling to lift a kettle because of it. I was the same to the point I was dangerous with it. The OT from the council got me a super kettle so I wouldn't have to lift one anyone. It's been a life saver, tea at the push of a button now :-D my carer generally fills it uo for me when it runs empty so it's all good.

The OT was great, gave me various things to help with all aspects of how fibro and m.e affect me so if anyone is struggling with daily living and hasn't had an OT assessment done it may be worth contacting your local council adult care team and asking for an OT assessment. They come to you. I have a carer too but the aids they gave me make me much safer and make things that bit easier.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks Michelle, that's something I'll investigate. This past week I've had trouble with kettles, petrol pumps, the hair dye and my knife and fork!! If an OT comes to your house that would be brilliant. It's only been the last few days I've noticed this problem but I suspect it won't go away.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Zia2014 wrote:Well I tried it today and it did not go well :( I found I didn't have enough strength to squeeze the foam out of the bottle, a complication I was not expecting. I cried, then went through two more boxes to try and get enough foam, eventually giving up after getting dye everywhere (oops) and in the end dumped the liquid into a box (and splatting the kitchen while I was getting it) and poured it over my head.

So upset. Yet another thing I didn't expect would be taken away from me. I hate getting my hair done at hairdressers and I've never had it dyed there, but I guess I'll have to.

This fibro just likes taking, doesn't it... :roll:

I don't know when I was last at a hairdressers but I do use it as a treat. So don't see it as defeat. See it as a treat for yourself :-D
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:42 pm

I err don't really like other people touching my hair!! :oops:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby emma83 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:01 am

emma83 wrote:I am struggling with things like lifting the kettle, writing, and washing my hair OMG!!! OWWWWW! it bizarre we all seem to complain hands are worse at night or in the morning. 2 nights now with little sleep because of it and also because im still not sleeping well ( don't think amitriptyline has kicked in)!
Had my blood test today they took loads they are even testing me for PARVO virus??!! I think they just wanna eliminate everything so they can be 100% sure its fibro. :sheep:

I got tested for PARVOVIRUS too!!!! I think it presents similar symtoms so it's a emlimination test. Xx
emma83
UKFM Member

Postby Teddybear » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:10 am

Hi, I have been diagnosed recently but everyone here seems much worse than me. I went to Rheumatology and attended a 6 week NHS selfhelp/hydrotherapy course, the physio's were brilliant and it was a help. They teach you to start at the beginning and find your base level then gradually work your fitness up. The acceptance was the hardest, when I had reached that stage I began to realise what I could do. I had a very active life, work full time (still) had horses, dogs, loved gardening. Had to sell the horses, not the dogs! Can't ride which broke my heart. Do manage to garden but just not all day, have to do little bits.

I have lower back pain as well, separate to the fybro. I take Brufen at 800mg x 2 in the early evening, plus paracetamol through the day, Gabapentin as well. I get terrible cramps at night and a friend gave New Era Biochemic Tissue Salts, Mag. Phos 8. to try. I am not now a person who will try anything unless it comes from the Docs, have tried everything, and nothing works only the "real" stuff. But...these tissue salts have stopped the cramps, I have taken them for about 8 weeks and on the occasions when i thought "don't need these now" I have had cramp back. I don't stop taking them now. Worth looking at the web site. I now wonder if there is anything out there in the homeopathy line that might help.

I have had a lot of help at work going through Access to Work. Have a split keyboard, a special mouse, and a made to measure computer chair, the chair has helped with my back. Now, I cannot see how anyone can type with a normal keyboard, it is completely wrong for our hands and wrists, and a "flat" mouse is so wrong too. My doctor was brilliant so keep on at yours for as many tests as possible, keep trying different meds as well. See if there's a NHS rheumatology/hydrotherapy course you can go on. After the acceptance, a big step I know, things do improve, from what I learnt we need to increase our fitness levels which in turn helps the pain relief. Hope this is of some help,x
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split paragraph into smaller ones for easier reading.
Teddybear
UKFM Newbie

Postby emma83 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:24 am

Hey teddybear.
Glad you hear you are coping ok with the diagnosis, I just keep telling myself there are worse things to have out there. I just hate the unpredictably of it as u never know if tomorrow will be a bad day or a good day. I think I have hot my brick wall now as been pushing myself to go to work (not had more than 2 days annual leave in a row this year) and I've crashed and burned this morning and finally thought about being signed off for a week as getting up at 7am with no sleep has taken it's toll. I feel a weak person though for it but I guess you gotta listern to your body.

Have others continued to work but got to that point where they need a rest?

So glad I found this forum I thought I was going crazy with the hand pain at night but nice to know I am not the only one (although I don't wish it upon anyone)
Lots of love xxxx
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
emma83
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia