walking and having falls

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

walking and having falls

Postby clb » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:48 am

hi ive only been diagnosed for just over a year, but i am having lots of falls and need to walk using a rollator or holding on to someones arm. do any of you have this problem? . I also have severe pain in my back legs arm and hands. even doing the slightest thing hurts. my husband now does all the housework and cooking. i receive esa and dla but get high rate mobility and low rate care. I am unsure if i should inform dwp that i can no longer do things and ask if my care rate can be altered. Any help from you guys would be appreciated. :-D
clb
UKFM Newbie

Re: walking and having falls

Postby ..:: lisa ::.. » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:14 am

Hi, I am similar to you for a long time Ive held on to my partner, I very rarely walk anywhere by myself and only realised yesterday how bad this is.

When I walk to my local shop I hold on to walls and have a little rest half way there (its only about 2 mins away for a "normal person")

As for care I think you should inform them, they do ask that you inform of any change in circumstances, most people take this to mean if things change for the better but it should work both ways.

I know what you mean with even the slightest thing hurts, I feel like a statue most of the time, my partner likes to hold my hand while we watch TV sometimes and he'll say why don't I ever reach out to him, answer is it hurts to move.....

I don't think people can really understand when we say we hurt!!
—(••÷[ I may ramble at times as my train of thought has crashed. Please be patient and bare with me ]÷••)—
..:: lisa ::..
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 am

Yes sadly i do i progressed in 4 weeks from one stick to 2 and at end of month a rollator, which i use daily due to falls. is not fun but i cope,used to be my mates dogs supported me from falling at one time.

You have to do whats best for you and for me is rollator.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby MrsP77 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:35 am

Me too!!! I am only able to potter (stagger) around my house. I do most things sitting down. I went from a rollator to being assessed for a wheelchair, about 18 months ago. I have been given a manual wheelchair, which I told the nurse was no good for me as I don't have the strength to move it, but I was told that I wouldn't get an electric one. I just got lots of companies to come out to me with their samples and to give me quotes, then I decided which one would be the best for me I kept a look out on e bay and contacted various companies asking if they had any reconditioned ones. I eventually found just the one I wanted on e bay for £500, they were quoted at over £6k by dealers. It meant a couple of hour drive, so we made it a day out, and I now own a super Otto Bok B500, which is fantastic as I can go out and about on my own. Look into getting something like this, or a shopper, it can be paid for using you DLA, same as getting a car.
MrsP77
UKFM Member

Postby Libby Clark » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:45 am

I read this post and know just what you mean ladies, it is very rare a day goes by where I do not stumble and or fall, I have become expert at furniture and wall walking, touching them just to help keep my balance I walk permenantly with crutches and hate having to go out on my own, I plan it like a military operation.
Where can I park, how close can I get, what do I have to do that won't wait untill my husband is home, or my daughter is with me, and even then I still fret and stress about it.
On the rare good days I do try and do more and then wreck myself for the next few days.

I have fallen up the stairs, down the stairs, in the bathroom and the shower, I have almost stopped cooking because I can't lift the pans, and have recently burned myself pretty badly when I dropped a saucepan. I struggle to get up from sitting or down from standing, I struggle to adjust my position and am always well bruised and battered.

I adore shoes and now can only wear flats, I have lots of gorgeous heels and decided recently going out for a special meal to wear them........ I walked back to the car barefoot much to the amusement of several people who saw.

Our beautiful home has become a disabled accessories palace with grab rails, cushions, bath seats, extra sticks, pill boxes and easy ways to do things that anyone else would do without thinking, I even have to think can I carry a plate or cup 8 feet I to the sitting room or do I stay in the kitchen and yell for help. My daughters and husband do the cleaning and the shopping tho I do try and help,I can't always make it.

Soooooooo frustrating and it really doesn't help the depression and now I am starting to worry because my DLA runs out in April next year and I am already stressing about it because every time I have had to appeal and go before a board of doctors who make me feel like I am faking and trying to rob them of their own personal money.

Oh well tomorrow is another day.
Libby Clark
UKFM Member

Postby dejay » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:06 pm

When I read the messages that come on the forum I often think they are talking about me, as I can relate to so many, the one at the minit being today,walking and having falls,I remember the very first fall I had, in the town, I just fell, an elderly lady came to help me, and was told by a man to just leave me I was proberly drunk, I then stayed in the house for 3 months,falling now and again, could not understand then and still dont why I fall, can anyone tell me what happens? now I park as near to where I am going as I can, and use my sticks or my husband to hold on to, But when asked what happenend I say I dont know they look at me as if I am mad,I dont like to read other people have the same problems but It helps me to know they do, if that makes sence lol
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:19 pm

I have read several posts here and i must say that i noticed that no one is talking about diet! Please read all that you can and what works and what triggers your symptoms. Some foods are poison to us and will cripple us to the point where one cannot walk.. or do anything at all! I know i went thru this stage and yes i look at this in stages and i have made some improvements but certainly far from cured as i find looking at this from that perspective is easier than looking at all the symptoms as one thing for i believe we have to approach this one step at a time so one does not get overwhelmed and feel depressed. Sorry if i sound preachy it's not intended, i just want ot help. Gentle hugs to all.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby paininthebum » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Oh my god. This is just starting to happen to me, just thought I was getting clumsy. Losing balance, hurting myself. It scares me sometimes reading the posts I just think oh no is this what is coming next!
paininthebum
UKFM Newbie

Postby babsie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Like Libby, I couldn't count the number of times I have fallen, slipped and my DLA runs out in February. I get stressed thinking about it which doesn't help my CFS and Fibro. I get embarrassed and feel because I look ok people don't understand. I honestly can hardly walk the length of myself every day, scratching my nose for example leaves me exhausted. I am experiencing such bad back pain if I stand any longer than a few minutes. I can't go out with support and rely on my husband taking me out in our car. I could go on, but I try to be so positive but at times it's hard.
babsie
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:59 pm

I was diagnosed in Feb this year i havent had any falls and I hope I never do. Must be awful :(
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby clb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:56 pm

thank you all for your post.

i thought i was alone in this world until i found this site it has helped so much. :-D gentle hugs to each and every one of you
clb
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:24 am

I haven't fallen yet but came close at work after being forced on the stairs and I've been having near fainting periods after standing up & walking.

This is a brilliant forum. I setup a free WordPress blog and find anonymously rambling on about all of this quite cathartic and often get feedback from people following it too.

Hugs back
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:41 am

*puts hand up* yep me too

I haven't had falls as such but I can relate to the 'hanging onto walls' thing (or hanging onto my husband lol). I used to do this at work, holding onto the wall in the corridor going to /from the room I sit in, until I finally gave up and realised I had to use my crutches (at first one, now two).

I can get about indoors without crutches most of the time (unless I'm really in pain) but somehow it seems different indoors - less scary about tripping up/falling? if you see what I mean. plus furniture to hang onto.

but I don't go anywhere outdoors without my crutches now cos my feet drag along the ground so I trip a lot, and I just dont have the energy to hold myself up without the crutches. (not to mention the pain of course)

plus my ankles 'go over' on a quite alarming basis (always have done, all my life - but lately seem worse) so if I didt have crutches holding me up I know I'd be on the ground several times by now :roll:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:39 am

I look like a battered wife! Yesterday I went to walk through the hall to the kitchen and ended up crushing my left breast on a door frame.
On a lighter note, my older sister went to walk out of her bedroom and ended up in the wardrobe! I wasnt sure if she was looking for Narnia or coming out of the closet :o)

I bought a walking stick in the last week. It broke my heart.
Have not needed to tell an entire bus my medical history just to sit down though so I suppose every cloud has.... a lining.
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia