How to holiday

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How to holiday

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:40 pm

I really need one, I need something to look forward to after 6 months of hell.

I've searched these and other forums, and pretty much everyone seems to say symptoms get better in the heat.

Which would be fine, BUT I have an allergy to the sun and so have to plaster myself in high factor sun cream and cover myself up (not ideal when it's hot!). Plus I am struggling with heat intolerance, even in cold weather. I rarely get cold even in winter. So I have no idea what to do or where to go...

Any ideas or tips would be great. I think I'm going to have to get a wheelchair at the airports because standing/quueing/walking for too long is difficult.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Re: How to holiday

Postby denys » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:59 pm

I honestly dont know what to suggest getting help at the airports is a good idea and maybe making sure wherever you go has decent air conditioning
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby rich44 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:03 pm

I was dating a woman who was stuck in a wheelchair most of the time in my pre-illness days.

We did lanzarote from Gatwick. I will never fly from there again, we'd hired a scooter from the airport so decided not to take the wheelchair and Gatwick were aware of this and still cocked the whole thing up.

After that everything was awesome, resort was great, apartment good size and generally disabled friendly.

Found some of the pavements a bit hit & miss but everything was close together, there were really good coach tours that were cheap too so could do a bit of sight seeing without much effort.

We did Costa teguise which I really liked, lovely atmosphere, not too loud etc.

The people we hired the scooter from picked us up at the airport and did the transfer and then left us with the scooter and we were off.

If you went Oct time it'd be pleasantly warm rather than scorching, even when it is hot it's not like heat here because you're surrounded by the Atlantic.

Depending on your location try to fly out of a regional airport I loved Norwich airport no fuss no waiting etc

Stansted is excellent too as is Luton.

If once you've booked you phone the airport they should have some kind of meet & greet service for people with disabilities. Perhaps phone them before booking and see what airport can accommodate.
As for the heat, most countries that are hot build their homes to stay cool eg paint them white, large opening windows etc and every place I've stayed in has had ceiling fans which make a huge difference.

I'd recommend it as a holiday destination to anyone plus if you go in the autumn/winter it'll be cheaper yet still warmer than here

Those ceiling fans made such an impact on me have them in most of the rooms at home, couldn't live without them now, in winter you put them in reverse and it pushes the warm air back down.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:16 pm

I suppose it depends on if you're going on your own or with other people. I'm lucky as hubby loves driving, so we are able to get out and about easily and I can get back in the car whenever I need to. I'm not sure I'd be able to cope with public transport too much, as I never really know when I'm going to get exhausted on just want to get back to hotel.

All inclusive might be good so that you could just relax and not have to worry about where you're going to eat.

The world is your oyster as to where to go and, but why not look at staying in the UK if you think you might struggle abroad. It's like you said, having something to look forward too more than where you go.

Happy planning :-D
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:19 pm

Yeah come to lovely north Norfolk it's great ;-)

I'll get you a discount on a seal trip lol
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks all. Lots of ideas there (hadn't even thought or air con, ceiling fans etc).

Unfortunately Helhit I drive but my partner doesn't (has never learned). Usually on holiday we use public transport so I guess coach trips might be better. We've also done things independently rather than all inclusive, or coach trips, so that's something I need to consider.

If I stayed in this country I'd end up driving! And that's really not something I want to do, I'm treating this as a relaxing holiday!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby rich44 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:59 pm

What sort of budget are you thinking?

I'd stick to short haul some something Spanish like the balaerics, Canaries etc.

There's a website called hotukdeals there's a section on there for holidays and there's a really helpful lady called sunshine Stacy, you could do worse than start a thread asking for suggestions, put down your restrictions like wheelchair etc and see what people can suggest.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby lesleypaul » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:15 pm

i now spend alot of time in spain as i am so much better there.... it is the air temperature that makes the difference, i dont tend to sit in the sun. i would say go to spain in sept to try it, it not too hot then and you can get cheap deals as the kids are back at schoo... good luck hun xx
lesleypaul
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Erm no idea on budget really, I think if I need to pay more to make it good then I will. Thanks for the website, will check it out. Will also check out Spain, we loved Barcelona but I do find it too hot.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby rich44 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:36 pm

No idea if these guys are any good or not but might be worth a look

http://www.enableholidays.com
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:15 pm

I stopped flying because of the the hassle and delays and so on. Started cruising so much easier and disabled friendlier on the cruises to get around on deck and trips. The cruise liners put on free shuttle buses as well as organised trips. Best thing I did doing cruises. Only down side to it is as I am in a electric wheelchair I have to book pretty early to get disabled room, but if you are in a Manuel chair and it folds up it will fit in your room. Also you don't feel the heat as much as out at sea even if you are docked in port.
padders
UKFM Member

Postby DRM » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:24 pm

I went to Lanzarote in January & found it great because the weather wasn't too hot at that time of year, but warm enough to be a lovely break from the winter here. Happy holidays x
DRM
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:42 pm

Yeah I went in November but they had a heatwave that week and was high 20s which with the breeze off the Atlantic was extremely pleasant (especially with a very cold drink on a lounger under a parasol)

So many awesome places to see

Timanfaya national park is like being on the moon, they cook the food over volcanic vents

Mirador del rio is breathtaking
Cesar manrique's house is an amazing work of art
Green caves

Sigh, could be there right now...
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Gromit » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:43 am

A holiday sounds good. Although I'm not good in the heat at all. I struggle with overheating in this country and abroad heat is just hell.
We are off to Cornwall today for 2 weeks. I'm not looking forward to the drive. But it sure beats travelling on the airplane xoxox
Love from Grom :) xxx
Gromit
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:51 pm

I don't like the heat, don't like travelling, don't like sitting, standing or walking for long periods, don't like hotel beds...so holidays are just hard work! I usually struggle a bit when I'm away but can keep going...but when I come home, I just feel awful. I really don't think its worth it :(
carolad
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia