How to holiday

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: How to holiday

Postby rich44 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Yeah it's really pants when you feel like that sometimes a change is worth it & can distract.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:51 pm

I just feel I deserve one after all this stress lol!

I would actually like to do a cruise, but OH doesn't do boats :roll:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby rich44 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:33 pm

We usually go camping at flamingoland at Whitson because the mirror used to do 99p a night so a week costs £120 Inc theme park.

It keeps the kids happy and worst we have to do is some walking but there's just no way I can face putting even the trailer tent up this year. Probably have to swap for a folding camper or caravan instead :-( not likely to afford holiday in school hols otherwise.

Hope you find something nice
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:41 pm

I went to gran canaria in May. Loved it there. I went completely symptom free whilst there too. This has never happened to me since I started with it and I am usually severely effected too, use a wheelchair, can end up stuck in bed, need a carer etc. I took my carer with me which was perfect.

I overheat really easily in the uk, even in winter I can be sweating. My temperature regulation is very poor but I coped fine there. I think being by a pool and the sea really helped plus its a different type of heat.

Re the island, if you go to gran canaria I would say stay around the maspalomas area - we found it to be good for wheelchairs, the taxis all took my chair fine and were all helpful. Restaurants all helpful too and one of the beaches locally you could even get a chair down to. Don't stay in Peurto Rico though, it's very hilly. We had a boat trip from there and were relieved we hadn't stayed there.

At the airport definitely prebook airport assistance. They were fab (I flew from Manchester). I had my own wheelchair but the others with assistance seemed to all be using the airports wheelchairs of which there were loads available. They took me right onto the plane and met me at the other end at the plane door with my chair staying with me till we boarded our transfer coach. Same coming back - help from before check in right thru to the plane then same this end staying with us till we reached the pick up point outside. They help get your baggage and everything. I never had to queue atall for check in or border control, security etc. was just fast tracked straight through by the airport staff. You can also request suitable seats and we were able to view these at home a few days before going when we checked in online and got our boarding passes. I could have changed them if I had wanted to aswell but was happy as I was put right at the front of the plane both times with plenty of leg room and right by the plane door and toilets so no walking the length of the plane.

All in all I can't wait to go somewhere else hot and sunny, just need to fund it somehow.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:11 pm

I was sure I replied to this, I remember typing it out!

Anyway - thanks Rich, you too.

Thanks Michelle, I am veering towards a city break so I can sit and drink and watch the world go by :mrgreen: That info re. the wheelchair is great, thanks.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia