wish I could swim all the time...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

wish I could swim all the time...

Postby dazzleship » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:59 pm

well, hubby and I went swimming last Saturday - and both had a really good time :-) I even managed to swim little distances on my own (with my swim noodle of course) and I really enjoyed it. the rest of the time I either rested whilst hubby had a swim about, or he pulled me along in the water :-D

and.. I didn't realise until I was out of the pool and the pain hit me all over - but whilst I was in the pool I didn't hurt like I normally do (except for a couple of times when I pulled my shoulder joints a bit too much). other than those briefly sore times, I was pain-free.

I was able to move so much more easily in the water than out of it, I said to hubby afterwards I wish I could swim/float about everywhere, its much easier than walking.

is this the same for anyone else? do you find in the water you don't hurt?

but.. I really hurt a lot afterwards. the pain hit all over as we were walking back to the car and since then I've been quite exhausted and in pain - both the usual places and places that I don't normally hurt very much :(

today I was hoping to get some unpacking done at home but instead I'm just here sitting on the sofa with no energy to do anything. hubby says its ok, it doesn't matter, but I still hate myself for being so useless.

I know flare-ups can hit at any time without reason, but could the swimming have affected me this way? I hope not, we're planning to go again on Tuesday night when its adult swimming only (no kids jumping in and screaming).
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: wish I could swim all the time...

Postby carlysmum » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:25 pm

i found that too hun,i could'nt swim like i used to be able to as it hurt me,but i was'nt in pain in the water,however i was in alot of agonising pain for days after and was also extremely tired! fibro and M.E sucks the life out of u it would seem,hope u feel better soon hun xxxx
carlysmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindar » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:00 pm

When I first went back to the pool after many years I found I was quickly tired and out of sorts for several days afterwards. I persevered, sometimes I swim but most times I just walk up and down to keep my muscles moving, I quickly worked out how much I could do without being bed bound for days afterwards and now I am tired when I come out but not in too much pain, unless I have accidentally done too much, but being able to move without being in constant pain is worth a bit of extra tiredness.

I would persevere but not do too much, just a little bit extra each time until you find a level that suits. Good luck.
Lindar
UKFM Newbie

Postby dotty lotty » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:02 pm

I also love swimming and feel good in the water. Just have a wee rest after each breadth. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby kat101 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Being in the water helps me so much. The thing to remember is if you haven't had much exercise in a while then don't overdo it. I have a tendency to do that because I get so excited at being able to move in the water without pain.
kat101
UKFM Member

Postby kezza1 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:31 pm

Ifind that been in water helps a little but struggle to get out again x
kezza1
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:12 pm

Yeah me too it's soooo expensive here tho. Local splash place family of 4 is £20 and at busy times you get kicked out after 90 mins. Good thing is its beach entry so nice gentle slope & when waves on they massage nicely
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Sarah15 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:48 pm

I swim 4 times a week and do about 30 to 40 lengths , the difference it make is amazing ! My fibro eases when I swim regularly but when I stop it hits me so it's now apart of my life and I have to pay membership but it's worth it . I would recommend to anyone who suffers to have a go but you have to be consistent with it and push yourself just a little every time you swim , it's worked for me and help me live a semi normal life and work full time . I still have my really bad flare ups and pain but no where near as bad as before I took it up . X
Sarah15
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:00 pm

That's brilliant glad you've found something that really helps. I've tried so many things like that never had much success. Stupid pool where we are is £50 a month for gym & pool (they don't do pool only) and that only gets you in during general swim which is during the day term time only, if you want to go outside school time you still have to pay which is a total rip off imho.

The school where I work has a pool but can't really use it as I'm signed off sick lol.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:21 pm

I love being in the water too. I am (was!!!) a good swimmer and did it to help my bad knees. Went a couple of months after my pain hit and was frustrated at not being able to do anywhere near as many lengths as I used to. Have been a few times since. The feeling of floating is lovely and I generally do two lengths (it's a short pool) and then float for a bit.

Wow Sarah you do 30-40 lengths?! That's what I was doing when fully fit!!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:10 pm

thanks for all your replies :-D good to hear that some of you are helped with swimming too and that you love being in the water also

30-40 lengths? wow I can't even do one length. can't even do a breadth lol. I'm not actually a good swimmer, never learned to swim until hubby helped me to learn a couple of years ago but I'm still quite nervous in the water.

hence why I can only swim with the 'swim noodle' and even then I can manage only small amounts maybe about 10-12 feet heehee

thanks for your encouragement its good to know that maybe if I keep at this it will get easier.

oh and the other thing re- getting in and out of the pool. the pool we've found has shallow steps into it, which makes it easy.. there's no way I'd be able to get up and down a ladder into the water.

hugs to all fellow water-babies :grouphug:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia