Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia

Postby puddingpop33 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:56 pm

I am looking for advice from anyone else who is diagnosed with both these conditions.

I have found that some medications that I have been prescribed by the doctor help one condition and can cause more problems with the other condtion. How does anyone else cope, i find myself struggling with it, with the amount of pain I have on a daily basis :(
puddingpop33
UKFM Member

Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi x

I don't have RA but I do have psoriatic arthritis. I'm not currently on meds for the arthritis as I am not too bad with it. Diagnosed only last year when symptoms first started. Are you able to talk to your rheumatologist about your concerns? Do you have a nurse helpline? I just wanted you to know that I also have arthritis so you don't feel too alone x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby puddingpop33 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Hey there

Thanks Theresa, it is nice to know that there are others diagnosed with a form of arthritis, i have spoken to a lot of different doctors and consultants, they just fob me off with the same lines "justtry a new medication, just try a new painkiller", im always supposed to wait until they start to work, years down the line and they are still not making any difference.

I hope you are feeling ok with your diagnosis, i am deteriorating really quickly, quicker than the doctors expected x
puddingpop33
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:24 pm

What medication were you given for the arthritis? I was put on Sulfasalizine last year but it made me very ill incl my bloods going wonky. Since then we are just watching and waiting. The next thing they want to put me on is methotrexate. I also have an underactive thyroid. From what I've read they are all linked x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby puddingpop33 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:57 pm

I am on 5 Sulphasalazine a day, 1 Lodine a day, 6 Methotrexate (once a week) 1 Folic acid tablet a week, 2 morphine sulphate tablets twice a day, co-codamol 30/500 2 three times a day and Amitrptyline (1 at bedtime) i feel like i rattle now. The only thing is I think the Methotrexate has stopped working cos I am having way more bad days than good now.

The nurse said that they may try triple therapy, but I have absolutely no idea what this is, think im gonna have to either wait till i get my appointment at the rheumatology clinic or use faithful old Google lol.

I have noticed now the problem of my hair falling out now, not in big patches but more like it is thinning out, but I googled it and says that Methotrexate could be the cause (as it is used as a cheotherapy drug used to treat cancer patients as well), but because RA is an auto immune disease, my body is attacking itself now and that could be the problem.

I dont know sometimes, it is always one thing or another with me at the minute xxx
puddingpop33
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:06 am

I've heard methotrexate can cause hair loss. I'm worried about it more because I've heard that a side effect is nausea and vomiting :shock: Do you sometimes struggle to tell which is fibro and which is arthritis? I get confused. I was told my arthritis was in remission but then my feet are starting to swell up over the past months since seeing my nurse but not red. My nurse told me on the phone its the arthritis and the gp says its the fibro. I looked it up and it looks like edema which could be my thyroid lol Can I scream now? Lol
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Libby28 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi there - I've not been on for while, but do follow. I have RA & fybro, on methotrexate, but is weekly self injections with the folic acid tabs. Is so much better than the tablets no sickness side effects, just sometimes bit off the following day. I am also on Nortryptolene (sorry about spelling) on this before bed & either tramadol or paracetamol for pain. But find my TEN's machine is ma life line can wear at work - yes I manage to work. This year has been a slog for me but since went on the injections with nortryptoline does't make it go away is there hovering, but allows me to really pace myself & the illness lives with me now! hopefully! I just mean gives bit breathing space so can see when is gonna kick off especially in times of stress & use my anti flam gel or chilli cream for what I call aches - most people would probably say like a muscle strain or sprained wrist, but is what is like with fybro all over. Please ask to try the injections for methotrexate, has gave me my life back :) xx
Libby28
UKFM Member

Postby puddingpop33 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:58 am

I might do that because the tablets make me physically sick now. Do I ask the doctor or the consultant about the injections x
puddingpop33
UKFM Member

Postby Libby28 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:59 am

just ask you doc to prescribe the injections - if you have a nurse you see say to her & will coach you on how to inject - has made all the difference, I don't get sick feeling anymore - good luck xx
Libby28
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia