Guilt

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Guilt

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Lizee wrote:I'm so scared I'll lose my job because I am sure ESA is only paid for a year and my husband and I need 2 incomes.

I'm going to drop my hours again, if I can, but I have to think about what to do, I'm too scared to apply for pip as I've read so much about how awful atos are, another reason I don't want to claim ESA, I went back to work before my assessment last time and it was part of the reason I did.

There are 2 "types" of ESA, contribution~based ESA and income~related ESA. Contribution~based ESA can be claimed if sufficient National Insurance contributions have been paid.This is the one that lasts for 1 year, but this only applies to those placed in the Work~Related Activity Group. If placed in the Support Group, contribution~based ESA can be claimed without the worry of a time~limitation. Income~related ESA tends to be paid to those on a low income.

Wrt claiming ESA and/or PIP, whilst the process is a tough one to get thru, it is possible to be successful. The stories we mostly tend to hear about are the nightmare ones. For each nightmare tho, there will also be a good number of claims that go thru the system smoothly, which are always good to hear about as they can help keep the spirits of others going thru the same process lifted. Plus, there are advisers in various support organisations who can help with the form filling/completing.

Before you make that final decision about dropping your hours, find out as much as you can about all your options. A decrease in hours and salary could mean that you become eligible for additional help, such as child and/or working tax credits, help with council tax etc. If you find out who is in your area, support organisation~wise, their advisers should be able to give you an idea of what you may be able to claim. There are also a number of online calculators such as entitledto and Turn2us that you can have a play with and see what else you may be eligible to claim.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby rich44 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Definitely have a play with those online calculators you might get a pleasant surprise, there's potentially a disability element that can be added to tax credits if you're entitled.

As for pip and ESA I'm beginning to wonder now that atos are going out the door so far (touch wood) Capita seem better equipped and their staff don't seem to be {insert rude word here} so maybe there's hope there too.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:58 pm

..:: lisa ::.. wrote:Guilty that I use "spoons" for one thing and not another, for not being the mum, gf, daughter etc that I used to be!

I had this this weekend! On Friday I finally had a reply from the support group, telling me their meet up was on Saturday. I was meant to be going to a family gathering on Sunday, but my partner was supportive and we decided together that I would go on Saturday and see how I felt. And even though it was only 3 hours of sitting and talking, I haven't felt so drained in a long time!

I feel so guilty and they are saying they'll take me out "when I'm better" - even though I don't know if that will even happen! It's hard to choose.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Lizee » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:21 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote:
Lizee wrote:I'm so scared I'll lose my job because I am sure ESA is only paid for a year and my husband and I need 2 incomes.

I'm going to drop my hours again, if I can, but I have to think about what to do, I'm too scared to apply for pip as I've read so much about how awful atos are, another reason I don't want to claim ESA, I went back to work before my assessment last time and it was part of the reason I did.

There are 2 "types" of ESA, contribution~based ESA and income~related ESA. Contribution~based ESA can be claimed if sufficient National Insurance contributions have been paid.This is the one that lasts for 1 year, but this only applies to those placed in the Work~Related Activity Group. If placed in the Support Group, contribution~based ESA can be claimed without the worry of a time~limitation. Income~related ESA tends to be paid to those on a low income.

Wrt claiming ESA and/or PIP, whilst the process is a tough one to get thru, it is possible to be successful. The stories we mostly tend to hear about are the nightmare ones. For each nightmare tho, there will also be a good number of claims that go thru the system smoothly, which are always good to hear about as they can help keep the spirits of others going thru the same process lifted. Plus, there are advisers in various support organisations who can help with the form filling/completing.

Before you make that final decision about dropping your hours, find out as much as you can about all your options. A decrease in hours and salary could mean that you become eligible for additional help, such as child and/or working tax credits, help with council tax etc. If you find out who is in your area, support organisation~wise, their advisers should be able to give you an idea of what you may be able to claim. There are also a number of online calculators such as entitledto and Turn2us that you can have a play with and see what else you may be eligible to claim.

Thank you for your advice, It does make me feel a little better, especially as work can't lower my hours any more than they have and I'm about to go to the first stage of sickness procedure. I also have had a txt message from capita offering me a late availability interview to try and speed up my claim, worried now as I didn't return the form. Sent yes back in response to the text message but haven't heard anything yet.
Lizee
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia