headaches

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

headaches

Postby di doc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:08 pm

hi I was only diagnosed 3 months ago even though I have been having tests for 2 years
does anyone suffer severe headaches
I am on day 12 of my headache, been to see my doctor and given extra tablets and they are not working :(
di doc
UKFM Member

Re: headaches

Postby charlotteerika » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:28 pm

People with Fibromyalgia often have vitamin and minerals deficiencies. Magnesium is a muscle relaxant known to help Fibro, and if someone is deficient in magnesium they often experience Headaches and/or Migraines too! Vitamin D is also good for Fibro if taken with calcium, again if you are deficient it can cause headaches and migraines.
charlotteerika
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:59 pm

I would see a dr. Seriously. My mum had a really bad headache for a week. She went to the dr who diagnosed giant cell arteritis and sent her to a rheumatologist. Its inflammation in the veins in your neck. It's very very seriously she is now on steroids for two years to treat it. Never ignore a headache that wont go away.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Sallyann » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:02 pm

I too used to have severe headaches that would last for days at a time until it was discovered that I had a severe vitamin D deficiency. Since I have been taking supplements they have much improved. Although I do still suffer from time to time they are not nearly as bad as they were. I would suggest you get your GP to do blood tests to rule this in or out so that you can move forward.

I am so sorry that you have joined Fibro World, but at least here you are among people who understand and can offer support and suggest remedies based on their own experiences.

Good Luck
Sallyann
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:34 pm

If anyone suffers from headaches that last days then although you might not consider them Migraines I would urge people to try Immigran.

You can buy it at the pharmacy now it's not cheap £7 for 2 tablets but one tablet can stop a migraine in its tracks even when nothing else helps.

If you get on with them you can get them on prescription.

Gave me my life back when all I suffered from was migraines.

Also amitrypyline is good for cluster headaches. There are treatment options for nasty headaches these days so do talk to your gp and don't suffer with them in silence
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:17 pm

You can end up with re-bound headaches from taking too many pain killers, try taking a few less and see if it helps.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Headaches and migraines are another often associated problem/condition that tags with FM and its other hangers~on. This is something that has been with me daily from the outset, which is over 14 years now. The headache never goes away, and as for the migraines, at times they are so bad that I would seriously consider decapitation as a suitable treatment :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: And when they strike daily :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: TBH I've forgotten what it feels like to have a head that doesn't hurt.

Whilst they are known to be related to FM, there can be other reasons behind them, so please don't ever assume that they are always FM related. Going to see your GP, esp if there has been a change in what is experienced, is always recommended, even if it's just for your own peace of mind.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Fibroised » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:18 pm

Have my headache now for three and a half years non-stop.
6 weeks ago had it checked out again, and tested again by neurologist, who was 100% certain it was fibro.
But, any headache should be checked out.
Fibroised
UKFM Member

Postby di doc » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:25 pm

day 16 of my headache been given sumtripan was only allowed 6 tablets they didn't work went back Wednesday and been given bedanol 1 tablet a day slow release and after 2 days they are only managing to make me feel sick and anti-sickness tabs are not working either got to go back again next Wednesday
di doc
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:36 pm

di doc wrote:day 16 of my headache been given sumtripan was only allowed 6 tablets they didn't work went back Wednesday and been given bedanol 1 tablet a day slow release and after 2 days they are only managing to make me feel sick and anti-sickness tabs are not working either got to go back again next Wednesday

This sounds serious. Surely you need some sort of test?!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:11 pm

Not wanting to worry you but I'd be demanding a referral for a brain scan at least. Have you been referred to a neurologist?
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby di doc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi I have not been referred to see anyone my doctor even asked me what i expected him to do about my condition have to wait to see him wednesday again
I now have my glands up in my neck so more pain, cant wait til wednnesday
by the way my doctor is crap lol
di doc
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:00 pm

They certainly do sound crap, you ought to get a referral to a neurologist for a constant headache.

Are you on amitrypyline at all? It's sometimes prescribed to break the cycle of cluster headaches
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:14 am

Have you looked up giant cell arteritis? I worry as my mum has it. She didnt have all the symptoms but she did have the worst headache shes ever had for a week before seeing her gp who diagnosed her. Have the dr feel your neck.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby di doc » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:55 pm

Yes I take amitriptyline and nefapam and also migraleve and bedanol but nothing is working
got up today with two lumps in my neck so I rang nhs helpline yhey told me to go see my doctor within 3 days no help at all xx thank you everyone its just nicd to talk sometimes xxx
di doc
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia