Sore ribs when applying pressure

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sore ribs when applying pressure

Postby gibbo82 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Does anyone get sore ribs with applying pressure? , whether it's the top, middle, bottom, sides of my ribs (basically anywhere on the ribs) if I apply pressure after 5 seconds or so to any part of my ribs the point of contact starts to get really sore & painful, the longer I apply pressure the more painful it gets! A bruise like feeling. (Poking also) It's so strange. Is this common in fibro? The doc said it's most probably costo, but doesnt that cause inflammation? I've had loads of blood test and there's no inflammation showing up in my body. Could it be related to posture? As I know my posture is poor. I'm confused!?
gibbo82
UKFM Member

Re: Sore ribs when applying pressure

Postby j264mc » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi I've had costo for 2 years the main pain is in the sternum but ribs are sore, the onset is like having an heart attack so scary but I know what it is now when it flares up, it is inflammation but unfortunately does not usually show up on blood test and chest X-rays
j264mc
UKFM Newbie

Postby Libby Clark » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:05 pm

I had very sore ribs for months which the doctor put down to my gall bladder surgery, but after a YEAR! He finally sent me of a scan and then decided it was my FM.

They still are painful some days but no idea why and at the minute it's my hands and arms that are so painful.

Oh well tomorrow is another day..
Libby Clark
UKFM Member

Postby j264mc » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:16 pm

That's interesting you say that Libby because mine started too after having my gallbladder removed!!
j264mc
UKFM Newbie

Postby fatalrazkaz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Just down from my armpit about in line with my boob is so painful when pressed. One of my cats always stands there when I am laying on my side in bed and I have to move her quickly as its so painful. Mine is caused by the Fibro I presume. I have lots of places on my body where I have the same problem with pressure. Just above my knee on the outside of my thigh is one. My blood test always shows inflammation but the Rheumatologist doesn't know why :(
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:49 pm

If I scratch an itch on my ribs if I'm not careful it'll then hurt for hours afterwards and pressure on my sternum is always painful
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Lindenp » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:08 pm

I've been having this for a while now. I asked my GP about it but he didn't think it was anything serious. Just had my Gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago and I am still unable to wear a bra yet! (I do have very large breasts though). I thought it was the operation causing the problem but on seeing this it has made me realise that this could be the problem instead! So thanks for the post everyone. :welldone:

Not sure if that is encouraging or discouraging though!!Bit of both I think. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Gentle hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:37 pm

Costochondritis is caused by an inflammation of the joints between cartilage joining ribs to the breastbone. The linky has more info about it.

This inflammation tends not to be visible, but makes its presence felt by giving that bruise~type sensation when the chest wall area is touched/pressed.

It is an often associated condition with FM, tagging along and adding it's effects to an already unpleasant collection of symptoms and problems. Wrt to poor posture, there is always a possibility that it could add a bit more to how things feel. Have you seen anyone to try and improve your posture????
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Sari mitchell » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:34 am

Hello my fibro friends:
Once again, YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I too have severe pain when I just touch my ribs, much less apply pressure. Then I really hurt. I am so tender all the time that even someone hugging me hurts. It's sad but, once again I believe that it's just another part of this horrible illness. Like my Dad always said before he passed away, "If it hurts when you touch it, THEN DON'T TOUCH IT" Duh lol He's right. Sorry to laugh for I know how bad it hurts however, I have to laugh for it truly is, the best medicine, for me at least. TRY IT. At times I feel like I am all cried out after 16 years of having this illness, and that I am sick and tired of being sick and tired yet I just don't give up and I always try to keep the faith that one day, their WILL BE A CURE FOR THIS. Thank You Lord and Hang in there everyone. ooxx
Sari mitchell
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia