Getting treated as a whole person, yay!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Getting treated as a whole person, yay!

Postby JDWench » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:10 pm

On Friday I finally had my physio assessment, I've suffered with numb legs and cramping, difficulty walking and standing as well as occasionally problems with grip and dexterity. The lady was amazing! She can't believe it all started 7 years ago with hms and not one person has followed it up. She thinks I have a prolapsed l7 disc (?) So I'm waiting for an mri, she's also trying to get me in a fibromyalgia clinic as well as having a follow up with the rheumatologist and treatment based on my mri results. I'm at the end of my tether but I'm quite excited!
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Re: Getting treated as a whole person, yay!

Postby Sallyann » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:25 pm

Well done you. Good Luck hun x
Sallyann
UKFM Newbie

Postby carolad » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 pm

That sounds very positive! Just shows if you get the right person, someone who actually CARES, it can make the world of difference :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby kayhealey » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:10 am

Most people see about 7 drs. before they are correctly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I'm happy for you that after all this time you've finally got a professional that is taking good care of you. Yay!!!! I was fortunate. My Internist diagnosed me on my first visit after I started exhibiting FM symptoms and the Family Practice MD I went to after my Internist retired has taken up where the Internist left off and changed some meds which helped!

Now he has my unlivable symptoms of terrible aches and pain head to toe, not sleeping, paralyzing fatigue, Fibro Fog, not able to exercise (not even walk half a block) to where I can now function fairly well as long as I follow the "FM Rules". Now I can try to figure out the FM research on the Internet and what's been learned that is practical and could help us.

Of course the researchers won't collaborate with each other because each one wants the credit for the cure when it's found. Hopefully my research will allow me to get off some of the prescription meds like Lyrica, the SSRI, sleeping pill, pain med in favor of natural supplements that have to be healthier. Anything I learn I'll gladly share with anyone interested!! Soft hugs and healing blessings to all!!
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split paragraph into smaller ones for easier reading.
kayhealey
UKFM Member

Postby JDWench » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:04 am

It was so wonderful to actually have someone acknowledge I am a whole being and each ailment offsets another so they all need to be treated together not pigeon holed in to their own little category. I also told her about the moron gp who refuses to acknowledge any of my conditions and blames everything on the way I walk which she couldn't actually believe.
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:16 pm

It sounds like you've got just the right person looking after you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Maybe we could clone her so that there can be one of her to look after each of us :alien: :alien: :alien:

:welcome: to our little sanctuary kayhealey :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: I'm curious about the "FM Rules" you follow. Is it something that was given to you as a list or something??? Just wondering as, if it is some sort of list, or condensed info, whether we might be able to use it, or something based on it, to direct people, esp those newly dx'd, towards when they ask about advice relating to living with FM.

It sounds like you've got the right people looking after you as well. It never ceases to amaze me how much difference it makes when you see someone who is completely unhelpful, even uninterested in FM. Altho I haven't seen many unhelpful peoples, the ones I have encountered have always left me feeling much worse as I leave the appt compared to how I was when I went in for it :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia