So Frustrated

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: So Frustrated

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:30 pm

rich44 wrote:I don't understand why Dr's are so hell bent on giving people blooming Naproxen which is an NSAID like ibuprofen.

For me when the muscles stiffen & spasm & strain which is one of my main symptoms its causes inflammation around the muscles. The anti-inflammitorys help this. Its also a pain killer and on the packet it says its also for stiffness.

Iv recently been taking Naproxen rather then the codiene and i must say its so much better but we all can differ and what suits one may not suit the other.

Mind you saying that my CRP (inflammation ) levels are very high at 31 when the norm is just 0.5 / 1 so could be why im responding well.

I used to have Diclofenac and recently changed over to the Naproxen and i find Naproxen alot better.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:59 pm

I'd rather take codeine than Naproxen, you have to be so careful with the stuff compared to the other painkillers.

Glad it works for tho.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:58 pm

They both have there down falls.

I take omaprozole and make sure i eat when taking them to prevent ulcers and stomach irritations etc...

Codiene causes constipation and addiction so all meds have there ups & downs as long as your being monitored and take them as prescibed then all should be ok.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:25 pm

You can fix constipation relatively easily on codeine though even taking omeprazole and ranitidine I wouldn't like to take Naproxen over any length of time but each to their own, if it works it works.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:34 pm

Naproxen has been in my cocktail for quite a while now, and whereas other NSAIDs seemed to be doing naff all, it definitely helps my neck area, esp the site where vertebrae are fused. When I first started it, the difference in the pain and stiffness levels around it were noticeable pretty much immediately by the increase in range of movements I had. And it still has that effect, almost 3 years along the line. When it was added to my cocktail, it was the only change made at that appt, everything else was left at existing levels to see how/if there was any noticeable effect.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:57 pm

The only time I've noticed Naproxen was when I took it with sumatriptan for a migraine as apparently the 2 work exceedingly well together.

For anything else they might as well be sweeties.

I wonder if I'm one of the unfortunate ones lacking a lot of CYP2D6 enzyme given the ineffectiveness of opiate painkillers.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 pm

Maybe cos I take naproxen too, I have needed it this week as my pain levels have been extra high and it has helped to settle things back down to manageable and I have been able to return to my usual cocktail
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia