And now I wait...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

And now I wait...

Postby JDWench » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:43 pm

Good afternoon fibromites!
I have just sent a 600 word e-mail to my Hr adviser, I leave work in two weeks and understand it's late in the day to be informing my company of my illness but I've come to the end of my tether, I'm absolutely terrified!
Do you think I've done the right thing? I've detailed the lack of support I've received and how I feel Terrified of returning to work after each spell of sick leave. I've requested my last day to be brought forward as I can't see the sickening sciatic pain alleviating in the next two weeks and the stress of returning to work isn't helping. What would you do in my situation?
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Re: And now I wait...

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi,

I don't know if I've missed other posts of yours but it's difficult to judge based on what you've put. Have they given you any support? Have you previously seen HR, or a Union rep, or Occupational Health? Did you have return to work interviews?

If you have been terrified returning to work then you should raise that with them. It's good for them to get feedback but if it's coming out of the blue (to them) they might want to discuss it with you. There's nothing wrong with you telling them how you feel, but what do you want to achieve out of it?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby JDWench » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:09 pm

It is out of the blue for them but I do explain the back story of having paperwork that I was using to explain being thrown away, I was refused occupational health assessment by my manager twice and have had nothing but grief from colleagues. I hope that management and colleagues will be better educated in tolerating and understanding "invisible illnesses" in the future so nobody has to go through the months of hell I've endured.
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby Lynn51 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:17 pm

Who do you work for, I would have waited for them to finish you not just left you may have been a bit quick to give up but i know how you feel I have been off work foe 12 months
Lynn51
UKFM Newbie

Postby JDWench » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:21 pm

I work for the co-op, I also have friends and family in other stores it seems to be poor colleague care right across the board. I can't afford to be off unpaid any longer and I handed my notice in months ago, they've been without me for about ten days now so if they move my date I don't think it'll matter.
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:27 pm

I see, they sound rubbish. Refusing you an Occ Health appointment is appalling and I think you are better off out of there. I think that sort of company on the whole are not very good at dealing with sickness issues such as ours.

I think they need to know what issues they have, but from what you've said it sounds like nothing will change. Hopefully it has made you feel a bit better though?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby JDWench » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:34 pm

I wish I could go to their meetings and stand there and make them understand how hard it can be for people with uncommon or unseen health issues. I know nothing will happen but it feels good to finally have voiced everything that's happened to someone with the power to bring change.
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:20 pm

If you had on several occasions discussed health issues with them and there were writings to this effect and confirmation of their refusal to allow you to see Occupational Health without clear explanation, be it email, letters, texts, appraisal forms etc, then you have grounds to sue for constructive dismissal. Which is when one is force to resign as there is no other alternative.

You may be too exhausted to even go down that route, but its good that your writing to HR about everything. I used to work in the Industrial Tribuals and have an HR Masters. I was greatly disappointed to see how HR is taught in university, its not with the empolyee in mind really, its about looking after the employer, making sure he is within the law and how to bend it. Shame its like that, but there are Some good employers out there who are supportive of Health conditions, just not enough.

I hope you will feel a sense of the burden of all that you have been going through and the decisions you have had to make lift slightly and that you can now look at getting the support you need, financial and care, over the coming weeks and months.

With loving kindness
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby JDWench » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:54 pm

I quit my job today! The hr man was fantastic and fully supported me. It's so nice being free of that burden.
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Glad to hear you feel better :)
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Lindilou » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:54 pm

JDWench wrote:I quit my job today! The hr man was fantastic and fully supported me. It's so nice being free of that burden.

I sincerely hope you feel less stressed now JD :hugs: :flowers:
Lindilou

Postby JDWench » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:28 pm

I thought it'd lessen my stress levels but my boss sent a snotty email to the whole district saying I left without serving notice when my notice was given on 9th July! So now I'm worried I won't get the holiday pay I'm owed, he found every way to refuse me holiday and I need that money. I'm going to have to ring hr tomorrow. Exactly what I need. He was so nice to my face and now he's being like this I even asked his permission to terminate my employment early as I'd served my 4 weeks notice and he gave it. I hate him.
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:19 pm

I don't suppose you got anything in writing did you?
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby JDWench » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:39 pm

I have email exchanges with the hr manager and a copy of my notice which is dated, my boss had a printed copy and I emailed it to the store so that further confirms when my notice officially started. Unfortunately I have nothing from my store manager in writing it was just a verbal agreement.
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:37 am

I'd be tempted to fire off a letter threatening him with libel if he doesn't retract that accusation but that's just me.
rich44
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia